SASS Wire Forum

Whose Shooting Colt Burgess?

I just ordered a Taylor Colt Burgess in 44-40. Should be here by the end of the week.

I have an original Colt Burgess I've restored and have been shooting at some matches but I don't want to subject it to the wear and tear of continuous match use so decided to get a reproduction for such things.

I'm just wondering how many are using one on a regular basis and how you like it.

I had to build about 20 parts for the original so I know the action quite well. I can hardly wait to tear the new one apart and see how the reproduction compares with the original. I'm especially interested in how the parts for the repo work in the original.

Sage Creek Gus

The version sold by Taylors is very slick coming out of the box. Most of the experienced shooters that I have heard speak of it do not like that the action cannot be shortened. They do seem to be made with good quality. I understand that there were some issues with extractors or ejectors in the beginning but I have heard that this issue has been fixed.

The version sold by Taylors is very slick coming out of the box. Most of the experienced shooters that I have heard speak of it do not like that the action cannot be shortened. They do seem to be made with good quality. I understand that there were some issues with extractors or ejectors in the beginning but I have heard that this issue has been fixed.

Can you give more details on what the problems were with the extractor and/or ejector? I had to build most of these parts and while I have no problem with the extraction I do have problems with the ejection of an empty case.

I'm not concerned that the action can't be shortened because I don't think it should have ever been allowed in the first place.

Thanks.

SCG

Got an Uberti Burgess in .45 Colt with a 20" barrel. I had my gunsmith open it up and polish the friction surfaces. He also put an ivory bead on the front sight for me.

It runs like a charm. Shot it in 2 full matches and a little range time also. It feeds, extracts, and ejects with 100% reliability so far.

I do believe it is my best balanced lever rifle.

I've got a Cimarron Burgess in 45 Colt. Frankly, I'm thinking of selling it. It's extremely accurate, but very sensitive to overall length. I had to switch from 200 gn bullets to 255 gn to get the longer profile, and I still have the occasional stovepipe and/or jam. Someone who knows what they're doing could probably fix it, but that's not me.

I've got a Cimarron Burgess in 45 Colt. Frankly, I'm thinking of selling it. It's extremely accurate, but very sensitive to overall length. I had to switch from 200 gn bullets to 255 gn to get the longer profile, and I still have the occasional stovepipe and/or jam. Someone who knows what they're doing could probably fix it, but that's not me.

I've shot several hundred rounds thru my original Colt Burgess and I've never had a single stovepipe or jam. The only problem I've had is with the ejector but I think the problem is with the parts I've built since I didn't have any original parts to copy, only drawings. The ejector works but not well.

SCG

Archived