SASS Wire Forum

Palm Straw Hats

Neuse Rivers

We're in the middle of a miserable heat wave. I've been thinking of picking up a Palm Leaf straw hat, since I don't shoot in those categories that require a felt hat. I've heard some folks say they are somewhat cooler than the felt hats, and others disagree.

What's your own experience?

We're in the middle of a miserable heat wave. I've been thinking of picking up a Palm Leaf straw hat, since I don't shoot in those categories that require a felt hat. I've heard some folks say they are somewhat cooler than the felt hats, and others disagree.

Some of mt felt hats are black and I just picked up a palm hat. When standing in the sun, black felt vs palm makes a big difference.

I have one of each, Neuse, and if the palm hat is not cooler, my internal thermometer just isn't working. It certainly feels cooler. I guess it's possible that the lighter color is a factor, but my impression is that heat escapes through the palm hat much more effectivley than it does the felt hat. Also nice to have a palm hat when rain is expected.

Cassalong Hopidy

The palm hat is definitely cooler. It's the ability of the woven-straw-type hat to "breathe" that makes the difference; even a dark-colored straw hat will be cooler than a white felt hat. The only way to make a felt hat feel cooler is to soak it in water!

Sunbody is tops:

http://sunbody.com/

I bought this one a few years back; indestructable!:

http://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/9_6/guatemalan-fine-palm-fedora.cfm

These Guatemalen palm leaf are heavier-duty construction than typical Panama hats.

I bought a woven Palm leaf hat at EoT 2004 and love it. They wet it and shape it to your head and put whatever crown style you want on it and let it dry. $32 at the time. Great for summer wear. Don't forget a stampede string if it's windy where you shoot. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Sunbody is tops:

http://sunbody.com/

I bought this one a few years back; indestructable!:

http://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/9_6/guatemalan-fine-palm-fedora.cfm

These Guatemalen palm leaf are heavier-duty construction than typical Panama hats. It's called "build your own".

+1

The Sunbody folks are great to work with... Have had mine for several years, its great. Ms. Mary Matilda just got hers, we custom ordered it and they delivered!

I have three Sunbody Guatamalean Palm Leaf hats. Two of these and one of these. I wet the brims down on the Sam Houston hats and flattened them out. The Charro hat, I left as is. They are great hats and much cooler than a felt.

Buy direct from Sunbody I have bought 3 in the past year 1 for my wife 2 for me .Gheck out their sale room on their web site great prices and they ship fast . Easy to shape and reshape . And yes they are cool in the sun . Woodfox

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the real advantage to palm leaf hats. Soak the crown in a bucket of water before the match and viola! Air conditioning.

Tired of that old style. Soak the hat in water and reshape it.

Put some ice in a watertight bag, place it on top of your head, put your hat on. If you're bald, put a cloth over the top of your head before placing the bag there.

OOOOOOH! Is that what is meant by term "brain freeze"?

OOOOOOH! Is that what is meant by term "brain freeze"?

I can't help but laugh when I think of an August shoot a couple years back when a friend of mine kept commenting how he couldn't get over how cool I seemed to be and that I wasn't even sweating. I just smiled mostly, but after him going on and on, I finally tipped my hat and showed him the contents. The problem is I typically forget to do this until I'm at a match and burning up. :D

If our bodies were cars, our head would be our radiator. Cool it and you cool the body.

An added question

Does the fine or soft palm lief hat keep as cool as the regular (larger weave) hats?

They are even cooler. IMHO

Thanks, Bull!

I have an old one of the larger type and had to glue it together! Funny how it only lasted about 8 years :D

I have one of the others and was concerned about switching over to it, so I will give it a try this summer.

Mine is a Sam Houston. Makes a dandy brass catcher too, whether you're shooting or running the timer. :lol:

+1. After each time with my rifle, I have to remember to bow my head and shake it to make sure my brass all gets dumped in one place. Otherwise it'll be scattered all over the stage and I won't get most of it back.

I love my palm leaf hat, but don't find it cooler than felt. It is very tightly woven and sewn. It will hold shape well, but does not allow air flow. I still like it because it fits well and looks great.

I spent the three days of Green Mt Mayhem alternating between my palm Sam Houston and my black, 10X beaver Knudsen Wyatt Earp with the extra-tall crown. All three days were hot and humid, and I really didn't notice much of a difference between the two hats. I have heard that tall crowns are better for hot weather, so maybe it canceled out any other differences.

I find my palm straws to be hotter than my hats made of 100% beaver felt.

I am sure you know all about dealing with all six weeks of sweltering 80 degree temperatures in MI. ;)

Don't they still build homes up there with air conditioning as an "option"?

You Pard,

Dang It

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the real advantage to palm leaf hats. Soak the crown in a bucket of water before the match and viola! Air conditioning.

Tired of that old style. Soak the hat in water and reshape it.

And...you can do that at the range. Mine is in the fourth or fifth iteration.

Olen :wub: Sunbody hats.

Sun Body Hats are the best and as the others have posted you may bet them wet and reshape them to what you want. One thing that has not be posted is that with any palm hat you need to order a size up from your regular hat size. Call Sun body in Houston for the full story. The hats that are true palm leaf are much better than the Mexican straw.

I have 2 Sunbody palm hats: a Sam Houston for matches, and a fedora for everyday wear in warm weather. Palm is more durable than straw. While water will quickly ruin a straw hat, palm likes to get wet - in fact, a palm hat will last longer if you SOAK it once a year.

The Guatemalan palms are more tightly woven, and it is debatable whether they breath better, or as well as, beaver felt.

As for Sunbody sizing, I've found them to run very close to actual size. I ordered my Sam Houston one size large, just in case -- and it's once size large, really sitting down on my ears. <_<

Archived