SASS Wire Forum

Define wearing a hat

Bustin Caps

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Hi Capt.,

I agree. However, if PWB says it must be on your head, so be it. He's implied that is the case.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Frankly... I just don't sees any indication from this here that contradicts ya on that there... Ms. Allie Moeeeeee....

Like this ?

Sombreros

ts

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you wear a shirt? You could tie one around your neck and still be technically wearing it. They still wear sweaters that way, some do. Lets just tie our shirts around our necks, of course around here you couldn't do that but others could. There would be no competitive advantage so some match directors would, apparently, permit it and they would be on your torso, so you could argue that it was as intended to be worn there if not exactly like that. How many people could you walk up to on a street and ask the question "where do you wear a hat" that would not reply "on your head stupid"... And how many would say "tied around my neck on a string"..... <_< I'm with "here's bobby" on this one. Laughing my head off. There are people around that will argue ANYTHING. Reminds me of law school. It is a poor lawyer that can't argue all sides to any question...... :rolleyes:

Yuppies seem to think that a sweater is properly worn when tied around their neck.

I don't feel I am spliting hairs with this question as I have seen many Cowboys wearing their hats by the rodeo strings hanging on their backs in Western movies and at modern rodeos. I would pay to see you tell these guys at the rodeo that they are wearing their hats wrong. Bustin Capps

Well. It is stampede string. Not rodeo string for one thing.

And you may have seen them hang down in a few westerns.

But as PaleWold pointed out. There are two parts to those rules.

As far as modern rodeo cowdoys. Lived that world for many years.

As well as horse shows. Still make 100% of my living with horses.

Have friend that still rodeo and some livestock producers for rodeos.

They do not wear stampede strings. Can not think of one that does.

And I do know more than a few.

Ya don't want to get on a rough stock animal. And have something hanging down

that could get caught on anything. Let alone have it tied around your neck.

You may see someone somewhere with one. But it would be few and far between.

I don't feel I am spliting hairs with this question as I have seen many Cowboys wearing their hats by the rodeo strings hanging on their backs in Western movies and at modern rodeos. I would pay to see you tell these guys at the rodeo that they are wearing their hats wrong. Bustin Capps

Two distinctly different and separate verbs. You WEAR a hat on your head. You HANG a hat by the strings wherever you want.

Well. It is stampede string. Not rodeo string for one thing.

And you may have seen them hang down in a few westerns.

But as PaleWold pointed out. There are two parts to those rules.

As far as modern rodeo cowdoys. Lived that world for many years.

As well as horse shows. Still make 100% of my living with horses.

Have friend that still rodeo and some livestock producers for rodeos.

They do not wear stampede strings. Can not think of one that does.

And I do know more than a few.

Ya don't want to get on a rough stock animal. And have something hanging down

that could get caught on anything. Let alone have it tied around your neck.

You may see someone somewhere with one. But it would be few and far between.

I agree 100% with Al on this plus you would get your A$$ laugh right off the circut

Uncommon good sense has departed the forum.

I wear a hat all the time... my reflexes slow, and sometimes the wind get a mite frisky... and chasin' yer hat all over the range is tiring...

All you might be interested in this. In the diary my great great grandfather kept from 1869 at age 19 to his death he also recorded all his financial records. I don't remember the exact date but it would have been in the early 1870's he recorded paying a boy 10 cents to retrieve his hat which had blown off his head.

Sage Creek Gus

All you might be interested in this. In the diary my great great grandfather kept from 1869 at age 19 to his death he also recorded all his financial records. I don't remember the exact date but it would have been in the early 1870's he recorded paying a boy 10 cents to retrieve his hat which had blown off his head.

Sage Creek Gus

Now there is a man. That did NOT want to get off his horse. B):P

Now there is a man. That did NOT want to get off his horse. B):P

Actually, he was a farmer in northwest Iowa. He walked from Wisconsin in 1869 to homestead and was one of the very first homesteaders in that area. His diaries are fascinating reading as he wrote them to be read by others in the future. He walked back and forth between northwest Iowa and Wisconsin several times.

One thing he was very proud of was figuring out a way to get his hogs into town to sell. Anyone who has worked with them knows hogs are not the easiest things to chase. The only roads at first were lanes mowed through the natural prairie grass and he talks about how hard it was to chase the hogs to town. So he built a corral on skids and put the hogs inside, hooked his team of horses to the corral and pulled it to town with the hogs WALKING inside.

SCG

Bustin',

Just shoot another category!

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Sorry to take out my aggravation on you. I'm just sick of people thinking they're "special" and the rules should be changed for them. We get that a lot. Often, it is by someone without a SASS number.

My sentiments exactly, Miss Allie! If you don't like the rules for a particular category, don't shoot in that category! There's lots more of 'em to try!

But here is the real question.

If shooting in a category where the hat is to be worn.

At the beginning of the shooters stage the hat is on the head,

If the hat is blown off or bumped off onto the stampede string would you have the hard arse to call the shooter for it.

Or would you recognize that this is not a problem.

But here is the real question.

If shooting in a category where the hat is to be worn.

At the beginning of the shooters stage the hat is on the head,

If the hat is blown off or bumped off onto the stampede string would you have the hard arse to call the shooter for it.

Or would you recognize that this is not a problem.

Think that is when plan ole common sense has to kick in.

If the shooter is wearing the hat. And a big gust of wind comes and takes it off.

Or it gets bumped off somehow shooting a stage. I would in no way call that.

And would fight on behalf of the shooter in those cases.

It is just when the shooter is blatantly not complying with the category is when I would see

a problem.

Two distinctly different and separate verbs. You WEAR a hat on your head. You HANG a hat by the strings wherever you want.

Without a rule that says you MUST wear pants (or other covering below the waist) that could get interesting. And very strange.

Without a rule that says you MUST wear pants (or other covering below the waist) that could get interesting. And very strange.

:D:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Howdy Hatters,

I've read almost everything here and you all have clearly missed the point of the discussion. The regs state that the hat must be "worn". I take that to mean that you cannot use a new hat. It needs to be worn. Now with stampede strings keeping the hat from falling of and getting dirty and beat up, it will never become worn. So, new hats with stampede strings are out.

I have stampede strings on a number of my hats, but the hats are worn, in fact, well worn, with sweat stains, dirt and those little black half moons made by the ejected rounds from my '66 and '73.

Cordially,

Reverend Chase

'bout time for this crap to die :wacko:

No please! It's the best entertainment I've seen on the wire in a year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Howdy Hatters,

I've read almost everything here and you all have clearly missed the point of the discussion. The regs state that the hat must be "worn". I take that to mean that you cannot use a new hat. It needs to be worn. Now with stampede strings keeping the hat from falling of and getting dirty and beat up, it will never become worn. So, new hats with stampede strings are out.

I have stampede strings on a number of my hats, but the hats are worn, in fact, well worn, with sweat stains, dirt and those little black half moons made by the ejected rounds from my '66 and '73.

Cordially,

Reverend Chase

Finally, someone injects a reasoned and well crafted response! :lol:

Bustin',

Just shoot another category!

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Sorry to take out my aggravation on you. I'm just sick of people thinking they're "special" and the rules should be changed for them. We get that a lot. Often, it is by someone without a SASS number.

Hey Bustin' - As you can see, Allie Mo is one of those nice folks that answers questions (of all kinds) directly, with a lot of class. I'm not like that. There's an old saying that goes: "no question is a dumb question". You sir, are now the exception to that statement. Take up bowling - you don't need a hat for that unless you really want to wear one.

As far as everyone that's tried to give you some kind of serious answer........well maybe we've reached the dumbing down of the Wire. Yikes! :blink:

In our sport SASS and in the movies hats are part of a "costume". It is still part of the costume when it is worn on your head or on your back hanging by the rodeo strings. The majority of the shooters in this sport including myself are "Drug Store Cowboys" and should not take their SASS alter-egos too serious.

Hey Bustin' - As you can see, Allie Mo is one of those nice folks that answers questions (of all kinds) directly, with a lot of class. I'm not like that. There's an old saying that goes: "no question is a dumb question". You sir, are now the exception to that statement. Take up bowling - you don't need a hat for that unless you really want to wear one.

As far as everyone that's tried to give you some kind of serious answer........well maybe we've reached the dumbing down of the Wire. Yikes! :blink:

Thank you B.T.,

I must confess I've been very testy this week. Hope I haven't ruined that opinion of me.

:wub:

AM

Folks,

The original question was to define "wearing a hat".

Here is the definition of a "HAT"

hat/hat/Noun

1. A shaped covering for the head.

Not a covering for the back, neck or any other part of the anatomy.

The stampede string is a secondary, accessory, apparatus to keep it on the head.

Take that and add your mileage.

Ol' #4

yup

wear hat as it was intended

wood mean on yer head

stampede string is intended to hold your hat on in a stampede as #1 job

iffen it blows off during the stage

and hangs on the stampede string (job number 2)

((as the stampede string was intended))

no harm no foul or is thatt fowl :huh:

:ph34r::lol::ph34r:

I can't believe I'm seeing three pages discussing what "Wearing a hat" means!!! Bill Clinton would be proud of the parsing being done in some of your posts. PWB already weighed in with his knowledge and opinion. His words carry the weight of the RO Committee. That should be enough to end the conversation right there.

This thread is embarassing.

I can't believe I'm seeing three pages discussing what "Wearing a hat" means!!! Bill Clinton would be proud of the parsing being done in some of your posts. PWB already weighed in with his knowledge and opinion. His words carry the weight of the RO Committee. That should be enough to end the conversation right there.

This thread is embarrassing.

IROT, My hats off to ya. Just sayin' P.S. I fixed your embarrassing for ya.

Big Jake

Archived