SASS Wire Forum

Those grey Ruger gun boxes

Cabalero Chuck

I'm looking for an original Ruger plastic case for my Old Army with the Vaquero fixed sight style of frame & a 7-1/2" barrel.

I found an ad on eBay that has a box in the right range of size, but I trying to determine if my gun will fit it.

The seller says that he THINKS it is a box for a Redhawk -or- a Super Redhawk, and he gives a rough dimensions of 14" by 7".

It also has a receptacle for gunlock or grips? below the barrel.

Are there that many different Ruger box styles that I am likely going to get the wrong one?

I measure up my gun to 13-7/8" by 5-1/2" ,and it's just too close in length to figure a GO/NO GO.

Is there someone out there that has both an Old Army & a Redhawk-Super RedHawk with thier box that can say if it is the same box or not?

Howdy

I dunno the answer to your question, but if you ask it on the Ruger Forum I'll bet somebody will know.

Ruger Forum

You also might try calling Ruger customer service.

May not help much, but FWIW, a '58 Remmington with 8" barrel will fit in a Ruger case from a 7.5", .45 cal. NMV --- that's where I keep mine.

Count Sandor

You would THINK they would be generic enough so that the only limiting factor would be bbl length and that would streamline production of the boxes. If it were the Gov there would be a box for every model and every bbl length but since Ruger has to make a profit you would think they would hold any Ruger pistol of the proper bbl length.

Disclaimer.....this is only a guess.

BUT since Ruger is making so much money off of a very small SASS market maybe they have money to burn!?

Well, I took Driftwood's advice and called Ruger cust. service. They weren't open over the weekend, and the auction is about to close so I hadn't bothered with that until now.

An Old Army with 7-1/2 barrel uses the Large size case with a part # 90213 . Seeing as it sells for $37.00 plus $3.50 shipping I will be trying to win the auction.

A large case is supposed to fit any big revolver with a barrel up to 7-1/2". They couldn't tell me the dimensions of the box though.

There is an X-tra Large box available for Blackhawk/Super Blackhawks that have larger barrels.

Since you guys bothered to reply I figured that I would come back with official info that I found.

For giggles I looked up the box @ Brownells and it was a few dollars cheaper and not available (any wonder?).

Now get this, I priced the next size down, Medium, 5-1/2 barrel (fits almost everything else) and they are pricing it at drumroll please....$65.41 .

Wow, (of course that one is in stock) woulda' never thought the things could be valued into that neighborhood.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I know the ones for a 10.5" SBHk will work.

I'd send you one, but I'm stuck at Ft Hood.

MG

Archived