SASS Wire Forum

Stocking a Gun Cart

Gus 'Buck' Silver

I’m new to the game and will be picking up a gun cart soon. I’m wondering what supplies a well stocked gun cart should have. For example, I recently attended a state championship where, when needed, someone quickly retrieved a ramrod from their cart, an accessory that I would not have thought about having. What other supplies would you recommend that I carry, in addition to the obvious list of weapons, leather, ammunition and eyes and ears? Thanks!

I always throw in a quart of Gatorade and a couple bottles of water.

Couple small screwdrivers that fit your guns, I also Cary a large very strong magnet, if you ever loose the screw on your pistol that holds your ejector rod in place you will be glad to have it. I have an umbrella with holder for sun and rain, as well as a black garbage bag to cover the guns if needed in bad rain, I also carry a can of clp and a boresnake in the car. If it's a long walk from car to firing line I will through them in as well.

I used to go "loaded for bear", but found the weight and clutter a major hassle.

First aid kit, squib clearring rod (aka ram rod), and tools beyond a small tool roll of gun-specific screwdrivers are in the truck!

In the cart I have eyes and ears, ammo, guns, the screwdrivers (handle and bits wrapped in a small leather tool roll) enough gatorade and water for the day, a small towel to wipe hands with, and that's it. My cart weighs about 15 lbs empty, even built as a cooler/seat/ammo box/4 gun cart, and by the end of the day, that's a good thing.

Oh, when shooting, my CELL PHONE goes in the ammo box on the cart. I hate the durn thing, and welcome the time not "tethered" to it.

A solid brass range rod, just drill a small dia hole in the upper upper long gun cradle and it will ride with you unobtrusively until needed. I like one of the smaller cheap copies of the leatherman tools for general purpose use, who wants to loan their nice expensive knife/tool to someone to use as a pry bar? I have seen a couple of really expensive knife edges chip on stuck brass! I purchased a tiny cheap screw driver handle (half the size of my pinky) from Harbor Freight that will accept a few common Brownells bits and takes up almost no room. The really small oil bottles are very expensive per ounce so make sure you get/have something that is refillable and will dispense a small drop where needed. I carry more BUT some items are specific to certain guns or styles of shooting and get rotated. Black powder does require a lot more support equipment/supplies, but it is worth it for the smiles.

With my Boy Scout training, it is no wonder I need a very light weight but sturdy gun cart. I carry extra match ammo, extra knock down ammo of several different loads, tools to disassemble all my guns, spare parts and screws for all my guns (still in Brownells bags), first aid items (band aids, over the counter pain meds, tums, etc.), chemical hand warmers for NW in summer time :rolleyes: , brass squib rod, umbrella-large beach type, holder for umbrella, chair (fold up Walmart bar stool), shotgun bore swab (actually small paint ball swab with wooden handle), pens and Sharpie, gun cleaner/lube spray can, extra foam ear plugs, small ice chest for lunch/snacks/drinks (I'm a diabatic), waterproof cover for gun cart and guns, dust covers for long guns, leather gloves for steel tear down and warmth, etc. In addition to what is in the gun cart, I try to have at least one set of ammo for match in truck as well as a complete set of backup guns and some extra leather (many times have loaned guns and leather to other sometimes new shooters). I am sure I have missed many items.

Edit: small fish tank net and pecan picker for brass, small towels if rain expected to dry guns before shooting and to lay them on at loading and unloading tables, small tube sun screen, lip balm, bag for expended brass, shooting glasses and container, drink holders when opened, hook for coats, personal shot timer--woops I forgot all my wife's stuff in gun cart-that is another list

Lets see. I got.

Extra ammo and knock down ammo.

Sun and clear shooting glasses.

Extra ear plugs.

Bag for spent cases and SG hulls.

Loading strips.

Screw driver with different bits.

Gun Oil.

Pro Grip for my hands.

Bore brush and SG mops.

Towel.

Snacks.

Picker upper to pick brass with, and a small bucket.

Back up guns.

If dusty or looks rainy. I will throw in gun covers and rain gear.

Extra guns parts would be nice. But don't have any. :huh:

Add all the wifes junk. And it is over loaded. :wacko:

Thinking about getting making her. Her very own gun cart.

I have two boxes, one goes in the gun cart when I get to the range, one stays in the car but close at hand.

Car Box - Enough extra ammo for another shooter, extra leather, shooting glasses, and some other stuff.

Cart Box - ammo for the day, leatherman, pen, extra hearing protection, a leather shoe lace, one of those neck wraps you soak in water to cool you down, granola bars, low dose chewable aspirin, rags, and a few other odds and ends. Staying in my cart all the time is a rain poncho and copies of the pocket RO Card blown up and in page protecters along with the penalty summary page from the manual. For each match I also carry water and gateraid. On warmer days I also have an umbrella on my cart. Some matches I also carry a shotgun bore mop to clean the chambers on my side by side.

Edit - oh yeah, a brass bag and coffee can for spent brass. Also leather loading strips which I often will load up the night before the match.

A squib rod is something I need to add to my gear.

I carry enough "stuff" just in case a Sherman tank becomes inoperative nearby, we can get it back up and running as not to interfere with our match. :lol::lol::lol:

Ammo and guns of course. Other than that I carry a brass picker-upper, loading stick (aka wood dowel) for the '73, brass bag, bag for shotgun hulls, rag, shotgun bore brush, bottle of Breakfree CLP, and a set of screwdrivers. A soft cooler with Gatorade hangs off the side of the cart; and sometimes a camera.

Oh my goodness!

...and folks joke about the stuff women carry in their purses.

All I carry is guns and ammo (enough for the match and two extra stages). A tiny purse and cold pack with two drinks hang on hooks on the back of my cart. The rest I leave in the car.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Beyond the obvious (guns, ammo, leather, eyes and ears), I usually have a multi tool, a small can of G-96, and a cooler (or more) full of water. That's about it.

Cart umbrella

Rain cover if forcast

Rain Coat

Suntan lotion

Small first aid kit

Squibb rods

Extra ammo

Extra Safety glasses and ear plugs

Rag

Gun oil

Pen

Note Pad

Timer

Screw Drivers

I used to go "loaded for bear", but found the weight and clutter a major hassle.

First aid kit, squib clearring rod (aka ram rod), and tools beyond a small tool roll of gun-specific screwdrivers are in the truck!

In the cart I have eyes and ears, ammo, guns, the screwdrivers (handle and bits wrapped in a small leather tool roll) enough gatorade and water for the day, a small towel to wipe hands with, and that's it. My cart weighs about 15 lbs empty, even built as a cooler/seat/ammo box/4 gun cart, and by the end of the day, that's a good thing.

Oh, when shooting, my CELL PHONE goes in the ammo box on the cart. I hate the durn thing, and welcome the time not "tethered" to it.

Adirondack Jack has it right. Go light on the cart, but I still go "loaded for bear" in the car, that way in a pinch I can always fetch what I need. On the cart (since shooting black powder) I do have an extra set of pistols and an extra shotgun, but otherwise it's to the car I go inbetween shooting for essentials. Smithy.

Edit 6/1/11 Another thing I am doing today in fact is swapping carts out. I found that I would load to capacity and with a large cart I would naturally put a LOT of stuff into it. All technically needed, sort of/maybe/some day/possibly. You get the idea. So my thought was that if I was to get a cart just large enough to carry the essentials and no more, then the rest of the gear would have to go in the car if it was to go at all. I found a pard who wanted my Little Sky 4 gun Cart and in exchange got me a Hooligan light weight metal gun cart with considerably less space. One box instead of three. I will purchase the leather saddle bags to bring my "use next" ammo up to a reachable height, but believe you me they don't hold all that much. I have leather loading strips for the whole match so those will be pre loaded the night before and in the saddle bags with my shotgun ammo and extra pistols. In the bottom box I'll have my spent brass and cleaning stuff and some water. Go light I say, go light.

My cart

In the bottom box I keep:

2. Bag with oil, rags, gun springs - for gun repair
  3. Bag with ear plugs and side eye glasses protectors - for safety
  4. Screwdriver kit - for gun screws
  5. Towel - for cryin'
  6. Squib rod - for squibs
  7. Duct tape - because
  8. Extra ammo - never know when I'll need more
  9. Old copies of The Cowboy Chronicle - for visitors
  10. Extra canvas bags for brass collection - don't know why? I'm still using the originals I started with six years ago.
  11. Bible - Required in the Baptist Category...for thumpin' ^_^

My cart

In the bottom box I keep:

2. Bag with oil, rags, gun springs - for gun repair
  3. Bag with ear plugs and side eye glasses protectors - for safety
  4. Screwdriver kit - for gun screws
  5. Towel - for cryin'
  6. Squib rod - for squibs
  7. Duct tape - because
  8. Extra ammo - never know when I'll need more
  9. Old copies of The Cowboy Chronicle - for visitors
  10. Extra canvas bags for brass collection - don't know why? I'm still using the originals I started with six years ago.
  11. Bible - Required in the Baptist Category...for thumpin' ^_^

I thought all Baptists were required to carry a cell phone with the "Crisis" hot line on speed dial in their gun cart just in case of another group splits from the church right in the middle of a match! :rolleyes:<_<

Thanks pards! This is exactly the kind of response that I was hoping to receive. As for the cryin' towel, I'm not good enough for that yet. Hopefully I'll need one soon.

Well the towel is also good for wipin' the sweat off your face or for dryin' your hands after washin' 'em for lunch. Or, you can just go sweaty and eat your food with a few added flavors.

Almost forgot baby wipes. Great for cleaning your hands before you grab a snack. Or after you fix a gun and have oil on your hands

5 rounds solid shot

5 rounds common shell

10 rounds case

5 rounds canister

Friction primers

Quills

Plug fuses, various, 5 pkg. each

Bormann fuses, two dozen

2 thumb stalls

2 lanyards, 6 ft.

2 lanyards, 8 ft.

2 lanyards, 10 ft.

4 pairs heavy gloves

4 pairs light gloves

2 rear sights

3 vent picks

2 vent punches

2 gimlets

Pincers, for removing failed or stuck primers

small funnel for flooding vent

large funnel for flooding bore

5 rounds solid shot

5 rounds common shell

10 rounds case

5 rounds canister

Friction primers

Quills

Plug fuses, various, 5 pkg. each

Bormann fuses, two dozen

2 thumb stalls

2 lanyards, 6 ft.

2 lanyards, 8 ft.

2 lanyards, 10 ft.

4 pairs heavy gloves

4 pairs light gloves

2 rear sights

3 vent picks

2 vent punches

2 gimlets

Pincers, for removing failed or stuck primers

small funnel for flooding vent

large funnel for flooding bore

WT?

WT?

Pretty sure that is the list of items that were standard in the carriage of horse drawn artillery. But I am not that old an artilleryman that I could verify.

Back to the OP

One thing I keep in the guncart along with many of the others that have been mentioned, is a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I always bring extra ear and eye protections as well.

I travel light

THE flag

Umbrella

A screwdriver with multiple tips in handle

Scrib rod

WD40

Rag

An extra 100 rounds of 45 Colt

Extra box of 12 gauage

my guncart

Here is my guncart. It has been known to carry stuff for as many as 5 people. I made a rod and put a wooden knob on it and put copper fittings to hold it along the side of the cart. below is a pix.

among some of the stuff I keep:

much of what waz discussed above.

packets of eyeglass cleaner

a plastic tube holding a shotgun mop on a short rod. I keep the mop soaked with silicone and swab the bores.

a couple of bandanas (one to keep in my pocket for loose ammo to return from unloading table)

extra loading strips (one 45, one 38 and one with 45 on one side and 38 on other side)

as I am a RO2 a small copy of SASS rules.

a small can of breakfree

small toolkit

pair of old work gloves, to help shag steel at end of match.

a few business cards with my address, email and my photo page on it.

Squib Rod

Here is my Squib rod. I keep it on the side of the gun cart..

I am sure I have other stuff but cant think now.

curley

Pretty sure that is the list of items that were standard in the carriage of horse drawn artillery. But I am not that old an artilleryman that I could verify.

Oh...not that type of gun cart? :wacko:

;)

300 rounds of .38,75 rounds of 12ga,pocket RO cheat sheet,lens wipes, couple pair extra foam earplugs,strip of fabric backed sandpaper,couple of ink pens,golf pencil,small folding knife, brass bag and a couple of vitamin waters. Don't know whats in the wifes cart besides the ammo I put in it, that's why we have seperate carts :D

Archived