SASS Wire Forum

Black Gold Shootout

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cassalong Hopidy and I will be there Thursday. I'm headed out in the morning. Cassalong say's we gonna have a good time. I sure need a good time.

See all of you soon and really looking forward to meeting all of you. Especially good to see my friends Rio Drifter and Tennessee Tall

I'm cookin the peppers and onions for the jambalaya and the sausages are grilled sliced and the bacon, chicken and rice go on in the mornin' soon as I get back from fixin' Hatfield's riding mower and takin' the grandson to the clown burger. :lol:

Gotta' get the seat fixed and the lights all checked out on the motorcycle I sold and we'll be ready to load up and go.

Oh yeah! I still gotta' pick up ammo for me 'n' Hatfield tomorrow night too!! :rolleyes::wacko:

See y'all sometime Thursday! :lol:

The band is gettin' ready too!! :)

Lady T and I hope to be there around 6:00 or so. Assuming the conastoga wagon does not act up again. :unsure:

Well, Titus here again. Seems as if we may have been a little too deep into the Copperhead Juice last night when I posted the coordinates to Joe'n'Bo's place! Boozy Creek and Ain't Dunit said they ended up out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean! Sorry bout that boys, ya see, like Copperhead Joe's daddy has been known ta say....you'll have that from time ta time! Seems I swapped a couple o numbers. The CORRECT coordinates are

N 37 07.139'

W083 48.026'

Now ain't nobody got no excuse for not bein here! We been workin all day on the range and it's real close to bein perfect! OK, now that I've finished postin on the Wire for the day, it's time for some serious Lemonade drinkin!

With arm up and shaking hand frantically: Why not delete the incorrect post? Put away the green stuff...'till we get there Thursday afternoon. :D

We're puttin' the last of the stuff in the truck and trailer. Looks like we'll pull out around 5:00 or 5:30.

Let's see..... gun cart, cooler with the jambalaya, ammo, clothes, guns....... :unsure::wacko::lol:

Just got back from the inaugural Black Gold Shootout! WHAT A PARTY!! WHAT A MATCH!!! Three days of feasting, great folks, live music and one of the best shoots I've ever been to. Congrats to Copperhead Joe and Miss Bo on what will likely become one of those "You gotta' go shoot this match if it's the last thing you do," matches. This one's in the books and if you missed it you should regret it on every level! Next year's match has already been announced and a date will be announced as soon as Joe figures out the best weekend.

As a shooter the stages were fast, fun, and up close. A bunch of those folks that you're always wishing you could posse up with and some of our favorite "after the shoot, set down an' jaw with," cowboys and cowgirls made this one that we'll all remember.

If you left this one hungry, thirsty, or unhappy, it's YOUROWNDANGFAULT!!!!!!

All the food you could hold, all the beverages you can even imagine, bluegrass music on Friday night, my own band on Saturday night with the folks makin' it sooooooo easy to entertain with a roarin' party all over the yard, a ten stage, all you can stand, championship level shoot, all for one price!! This is how you make friends and grow our sport!!

Yeah!! We'll be back!! Yeah!! The band too! Thanks y'all, from me 'n' Hatfield and from the guys in the band!!

Congrats to Little Wing and Last Kiss, top overall shooters!!

Whew!

Just got the truck unloaded,(not put away.)

Thanks to Joe and Bo,and all the family for letting us share a few days in the Kentucky hills.

Beautiful place they have there. Big pond,with catfish. Covered pavillions.

Plenty of space for parking and RVs.

Fish fry was fantastic. Not to mention the grilled turkey cooked in the hand made,and highly

engineered gas rotary grill.

Don't think anybody went thirsty.Bluegrass Friday,Rock & Roll,Saturday.

Almost forgot.There was a ten stage shooting match.Fast and fun scenarios.

Eight stages of storefront with continuous porch.

Congrats to Little Wing,top gun,and my lovely bride,Last Kiss,top lady!

Kick yourself if you missed it!You will not find another like it.

Thanks,again for a good time!

Harley.

One of the best matches that you'll ever go to! You didn't want for anything. I finally saw Copperhead kick back Sat. night (for the first time all weekend),and he had a big smile on his face. I reckon all of his and Miss Bo's hard work was very much worth it! It was all fun from the moment that you got there until you had to leave. You never had to dig in your wallet for anything. Except the great vendors that were there.(Mose and Bella Spencer gun golding, Blackwater hats, Lady T's silver jewelry). They had it going on with bluegrass Fri. night and of course Blackwater's band "Milkbone" on Sat. night. You had all the southern food and desserts that you eat. And some of the best folks in sass to shoot and hang out with! What more could you ask for! Thanks again for such a great time!

I.M. and Whiskeycreek

Well, everyone is right, this was a great shoot, so glad I made the first one. Joe in case you forget, I asked you to save me that same RV spot for next year, we will be there.

Great match, fun folks, a mix of adult beverage, music, music, and music, Food, Food, and food.

Thanks Copperhead, Bo, Boots, and Rose for sharing your place with us for a weekend.

Already trying to figure out how to get off of the train tracks next year. Yes folks there is one mean train that roles up that vally, must have been used to haul that Black Gold out of the hills. I can attest to the fact that train still runs and is wicked on unsuspecting Cowboys. I saw it hit my buddy Loose Cinch first and while I was trying to help him out of the way the danged thing ran over me, backed up and ran over me again. Like I said, one mean train :lol:

Man what a good time at a shootn match! Gained 8 lbs Catfish/Turkey/Tenderloin an every type a fixins, an was cooked like ye mama cooked it. :wub: I even stopped an bought me 15lbs of catfish fillets there in Manchester Ky on tha way out. :P

Our friends Joe, Bo, WCJ, IM an to many ta list have worked their butts off ta make this happen. Your efforts show greatly. GREAT MATCH :excl:

Congrats to Little Wing an Last Kiss on winning tha match, an all tha cat winners.

Oh an Mr. Blackwater my hats offt to ya, what a singer. We enjoyed every minute of it.

See you all next year.

RRR

Congrats to Little Wing and Last Kiss. What a great shoot. Its a that makes you already start to plan on being there next year. Food was great and there was plenty of it. Hospitality was the best. Got to visit and shoot with some old friends and make a lot of new friends. You couldn't ask for a better time.

I didn't get no sleep 'til after I posted this mornin' so y'all forgive me for not thankin' some other folks. To Big Six Henderson for being one great (and understanding) posse marshal, thanks. To Red River Ray for helpin' Hatfield on that last stage, and for helpin' RO and spot and all the other posse duties. Tennessee Tall and Cimmaron Lil for the scorekeeping and all the other stuff y'all did. The rest of the ladies for tendin' to me after my little accident and all through the match keepin' us cowboys straight!! :lol: Cassalong Hoppity and Daybreaker, whatever was needed you guys saw to it that it got done.

Rio, you kept me sharp for posse work and kept us all laughing, you are a real pard.

Posse Six Rules!!

To all the folks who cheered us on last night on stage, I hope you had as much fun as we did. Milkbone says thanks!! :blush:

To Iron Maiden and Whiskey Creek and Judge'm'All Duncan, thanks for your constant support. Rowdy, Titus, Fannie, Boozy, Sonora, Mose, Bella, Joe, Bo,and Sweetie, Buck, Sugah, Iron Horse and his darlin' wife, (I can't remember all the names :wacko: ) Ms. T and Tombstone, Ringer, Fast Harley and Last Kiss, (breathin' hard from all this tryin' ta' remember) and everybody that I've forgot. What a match you made of this!!

THANKS!! :FlagAm:

Daybreaker, we all got your back man, and congrats on your win!

"kick, kick, kick....wow that hurts!"

Would y'all please make sure we know about this one waaaayyyy in advance next year so we can make sure we are there??

I promise to be on my best behavior. I can't make any promises about Phyllis but I will try to keep her in line too.

I am glad y'all had a great time.

Copperhead and Miss Bo,

Your First Annual Black Gold Shootout was PURE GOLD! What an incredibly fun time you provided to all of your guests along with an atmosphere of Cowboy Camaraderie that had every attendee smiling, laughing, and simply enjoying themselves.

The spot is so beautiful; the hills of Kentucky with the pond surrounded by the gorgeous pine trees. It's no wonder you two are always so laid back and relaxed; you live in an environment that oozes those exact qualities. You have an amazing place and it is perfect for the shoot. Thanks so much to you and your whole family for working so hard to share it with all of us. Everyone has been praising the food, and I'll add one more kudo to the pile: That was the BEST catfish I've ever tasted!!

We had a ball--even with that dang train running over, backing up, and running over Tombstone again (and again) as he was heroically trying to save Loose Cinch! He'll know to watch for it next year. Let us know the dates as soon as you have them finalized. We wouldn't miss it for the world.

Ruger the Wonder Dog had a great time seeing all of his cowboy bud's, and now that Kimber has experienced her first voyage in the RV, along with her first "shoot," I'm afraid she is going to be tough to leave at home next time! (Though with Kimber along, the RV seems a mite bit smaller. ;) A sincere thanks to everyone for helping make her first experience a great one!

Lady T.

BTT just fer braggin' purposes. :lol::wub:

Wow, is it really over? We want to thank everyone for making this a great week, not just a weekend!! Titus,Tbone and the Girls showed up Monday to help out, it was a Big help thank you all very much!

I guess we will have to try do this again next year. I'll finalize the date as soon as I can, but it will be about the same time.

Black Water thank you and the boy's for doing a great job, and all of your help this weekend.

Got to get started putting a few things up. Thanks again to everyone!!!!!

Great shooting and fun. A privilege to meet some of the country's finest competitors. I found nothing but old and new friends there. Thanks Copperhead Joe and Miss Bo and thanks to all the members of Posse 6--it was a genuine pleasure. I have posted a couple of videos on YouTube (see MrWatson65) and will put up a few more tonight after work. I plan join you all again in 2012. In the meantime, I hope to cross trails with you at Ambush, the Tennessee State Championship, and/or SASS Southeast Regional in the months ahead.

Cassalong Hopidy

I honestly do not know where to start. I guess first I would like to thank Tennessee Tall and Rio Drifter for telling me about this Match over 2 months ago. Cassalong Hopidy, I thank you so much for all you have done. Folks without these 3 people I don't think I could have made it.

Now, Copperhead Joe and Miss Bo. Thanks so much for a GREAT Match. The gathering of cowboys was terrific! So many fast shooters and such great food and camaraderie. I was very fortunate to have won a few side Matches and my Class. I also got lots of hugs from Miss Bo.. easy Copperhead.

Blackwater don’t know where you got that voice but if someone were to tell me you had a band and was singing I would have bet money they were a little kookoo! you did a great job. I made another friend.

Wish we could have stayed longer but we needed to get back to the hotel.

Posse 6 did good. Stages went off without a hitch. I got to meet people I have only read about. Red River Ray, T Bone Doley, Blackwater Desperado , Buck D Law, Sugah just to name a few. So many to thank.

I proudly have that big ole chunk of coal in my trophy case. To me it is a diamond!

If I can and Cassalong let's me tag along again I will return.

Daybreaker

Joe,Bo,Boots and Ms. Rose,

Thank you so much for opening up your home to all of us Cowfolks. Especially to little Miss Dixie Critter. She had a BALL for three days running. This was her first BIG Match and she asked me I don't know how many times if we are going back to MR. JOE's next time.

Thanks again to all my Kentucky and Tennessee kinfolk for making room in your "HOME".

Judge

Hey all

Let me start by saying DIDO to all the great things said about this match.

CONGRADULATIONS! on a Job WELL DONE!! C.H.JOE

Thanks to Iron Maiden and Whiskey Creek for sharing your camper with us this weekend.

Folks did you ever sit on your front porch with a good friend and say " man it sure would be cool to have a great cowboy range right over there. Oh yeah lets put in a campground with rv hook ups for all our friends and a full service kitchen , hey lets go ahead and add a sound stage and a pavillion for every body to hang out in while we are at it "

Well, Copper Head Joe,his father "Boots" and family must have done that very thing. Because they have the best Cowboy ,Blue Grass, Family Camping fun park 100 yards from their back door you can imagine.

Copper Head you have out done yourself pard the shooting was GREAT!!!,the food,drink and entertainment was AWSOME!! But the real OUT OF THE PARK, HOME RUN, GRANDSLAM, SLAM DUNK, VICTORY LAP BURNOUT was the honest heartfelt hospitality you showed to all your cowboy pards. Thank you and MISS BO for sharing your homestead with all of us.

I hope this Cowboy shooting thing last forever but I know the friends we have made while enjoying this sport will last FOREVER.

Thanks again

MOSE

Congrats to Little Wing and Last Kiss overall and also to T-Bone a close second overall shooting OUTLAW yeah no sights and shot gun from da hip.

Here are the scores.

You've heard the threat that all you're getting for Christmas is a lump of coal. Well, after a trip to Kentucky, what did I bring back but a lump of coal. Dang, if I knew there was as much fun associated with lumps of coal as I had this past weekend, I'd have been beggin' for a lumps of coal! I wasn't a bit surprised to find that the match was great. I wasn't surprised to enjoy the company of old pards and to do the same with new pards, I've come to look forward to it. It is WHY I travel to matches. I was however pleasantly and abundantly surprised by the fact that every time I turned around there was some good cooking waiting to be consumed. Apparently, Copperhead Joe and Miss Bo's family and friends were born with a cooking gene and a make-you-feel-like-you're-at-home gene.

The food was simply out of this world. For a feller that now appreciates country cooking and realizes that although I might have eaten it all the time as a yougun, it is not common. A better description would be family cooking. Add that to the laid back atmosphere and the whole experience was simply indescribable.

Copperhead and Bo, the reality is most of us don't have a clue as to who all to thank for the great time we had. Yes, we know there we other shooters involved in organizing the match, but we don't know how many of your families and friends were a critical part to the overall success. Only ya'll know. Please thank everyone for all of us. We had an absolute ball!

Well folks, I guess ya can tell by the overwhelming positive comments that have been posted here that this was one huge success. Joe'n'Bo pulled off one fine shoot. Hospitality like none other. Food, well lets just say we ate like kings. Bluegrass Friday night and Rock'n'roll Saturday night, both of which were top notch. Plenty of adult beverages if ya wanted 'em. Camaraderie from sun up til the wee hours. And the range is, with a few minor tweaks, gonna be fabulous. Joe is already formulating plans for those improvements. As ya can probably guess, Fannie Kicker and I WILL be there again next year! Once again Joe'n'Bo, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!

All right, ya'll. I posted a few more videos of Posse 6 at the Black Gold Shootout. Go to MrWatson65 on YouTube. Some fun stuff, including the Sugah Shuffle.

Cassalong Hopidy

Sure hope Sugah is going to post links to some of the pictures she took at the Black Gold Shootout. Somebody beg her! I am.

Cassalong Hopidy

To the wonderful Boots and Rosa Jarvis, to Copperhead Joe and his lovely lady, Miss Bo, to all the close and extended family members-those by blood and those of the heart-who were involved in the Black Gold Shoot, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We had an outstanding adventure this last weekend!

Tent-camped for the first time in several years. Awoke every morning to fog resting on the top of the hills, which soon burned off to reveal some of the most beautiful reclaimed land in the coal country of Southeastern Kentucky. What was, many years ago, a diamond in the rough, has become a diamond in truth.

Each day, we enjoyed fine examples of the culinary arts practiced by members of the family-so many choices to surprise and delight the palate. All outstanding!

Evenings of music that soared up the valley and through the hills, only to come back down to us with just a little bit different sound.

Warm days, cool nights, refreshing breezes, a gentle rain or two.

Hours spent with friends, old and new, while sharing meals, lemonade, margaritas, Fannie's Cowgirl Tea and Triple Crown shots, homemade wines, peach tea, and a connoisseur's selection of bourbons, sour mashes, and whiskeys.

Oh, and then everyone decided, "Hey-while we're here, let's have a Cowboy shooting match!"

Started with side matches, where I got to try out RRR's '73-what magic has been worked on that rifle!

Then, had the opportunity to race for a little while with Iron Maiden in the ladies' speed pistol duelist and gunfighter categories. Next day was the main match, and what a match it was! Fast stages, good size targets, good size posses, shade when we needed it, no rain during the match. Shooting started at 9:30, finished by 12:30 or 1:00. Lots of time for socializing, which is something we all love to do.

Thank you to all for the congratulations, and my congratulations to Little Wing on his Overall Top Shooter win.

Copperhead, biggest congratulations go to you-you definitely have a winner in the Black Gold match!

Guest Sugah

Kudos to everyone involved in putting on the Black Gold Shootout. Copperhead & Bo, hats off! LOTS of delicious food, LOTS of great folks, and TONS of fun! My "best" memory will be that I had my fastest ever CLEAN stage! (And I will try to forget that it was followed by an absolute train wreck!)

As a coal miner's daughter, the area brought back lots of memories! We look forward to next year & the SECOND Black Gold Shootout!

AND I am about to post pictures!

Sugah & Buck

Sugah, I called that train the Black Gold Express. :wacko:

It was good to see you and whats his name again, look forward to seeing your pictures and you all again down the road.

Archived