SASS Wire Forum

777 & RM CONVERSIONS

Spaniard,SASS#35864

Howdy,

I have a pair of richard mason 1851 open tops in 38 special. being that they have no top strap would the hot properties of 777 be an issue of the gun holding up to this? any thoghts on this all you open top shooters out there?

respectfully,

Spaniard

SASS#35864

Hey pard, it was good to see you at St. J's this weekend, you need to bring the new bride to the Tri state so we can meet and offer our sympathy for the error of her ways ^_^

Ref 777 in the opentops, the only thing I'd suggest is to use 2F instead of 3F. Tried it years ago and found the 38s I was loading up were supersonic in the 24" rifle and real, read overly, snappy in the opentops.

When you decide to come all the way over to the dark side you know where to get your bullets, right?

Hey pard, it was good to see you at St. J's this weekend, you need to bring the new bride to the Tri state so we can meet and offer our sympathy for the error of her ways ^_^

Ref 777 in the opentops, the only thing I'd suggest is to use 2F instead of 3F. Tried it years ago and found the 38s I was loading up were supersonic in the 24" rifle and real, read overly, snappy in the opentops.

When you decide to come all the way over to the dark side you know where to get your bullets, right?

You may do three things to lessen recoil. One is shoot a lighter bullet, two is use a lower amount of powder charge, and three if using 3F go to 2F which will give a slower burn. To help the most though you need to really become a true DarkSider. People may shoot what they want but if you shoot a sub then all you are getting is smoke. You are not shooting the real thing which produces fire and sparks from the barrel.

I agree with Iron Pony and use Triple 777 2F in my RM's when I shoot them (I normally shoot cap & ball and use 2f Triple 777 in them as well), I've been using the 2F in mine without a problem in both the pistol and rifle and it produces plenty of smoke. The only quirk I've found with the RM's is that the 147 gr Moulton Lead bullet, which works great in the rifle, that the OAL loaded for the rifle can be a hair too long in the RM sometimes.

My main match guns are R-M Open Top Conversion by Cimmaron/Uberti and I shoot either Schuetzen Ffg Black Powder or 777 Ffg, either on is plumb full and compressed 1/8" with a 158 gr. big lube bullet. And the 777 is fine to use in the gun.

I shoot 1872 OT's in 38sp. When I want to smoke it is 3f 777, under a 130gr hard lubed bullet from Stormy Reinz of Mastercraft fame, a little less than half a case. It burns clean, with about the same recoil as my smokeless loads. With the subs there is no need for a soft lube. I can shoot an entire two day with just a wipe of the cylinder face every three stages or so and a little squirt of ballistol on the bushing.

Archived