SASS Wire Forum

long barrel rifle

evil dogooder

Just looking to do something a little different. Is there anyone that makes an extra long barrel for a 92 rossi . Something like 32-36" I know it wont be fast handling I dont care. I dont do this for speed but for fun.

Thanks for any help

Evil dogooder

Contact Steve's Gunz, aka Nate Kiowa Jones, he's the '92 guru. He can point you in the right direction.Steve's Gunz

Thanks Doc,

There's no drop in barrels other that Rossi OEM's. Green Mountain offers a 27" tapered octagons un-threaded and un-chambered in the white. For a longer barrel it would have to been custom made.

Thanks griff that's exactly what I was lookong for

I am probably opening a can of worms on this, but I learned this shooting DCM matches for seven years. The goal is to have the powder fully burn at around four inches from the muzzle. If the powder completely burns before that, then the bullets actually slows as the pressure decreases and the friction of pushing the bullet through the rifling increases.

There is some scientific theory that has shown that most average powders perform best when the barrel volume equals sixteen times the case volume. This sixteen factor varies with burn rates.

All of that is said to explain that I would be concerned with sticking a bullet in the extremely long barrel due to the volume of the pistol-size cases. Jacketed bullets would likely stick before lead bullets. Based on thsi idea, the .357 Magnum' velocity max's out around 22" in barrel with normal powders. Slower burning powders like H/IMR-4227 or H/IMR-4198 might increase this factor to 17 or 18.

This could be a neat project if you go slow and watch for issues. I watched a fellow cowboy shoot a 28" barrel low wall in .38 WCF and do very well at around 1950 fps. Not sure what he had done to overcome the aforementioned theory, but that is why we keep experimenting.

Archived