SASS Wire Forum

St. Judes Charity shoot

We are dry!!! Finally got home and off the pontoon boat :lol: Still had a great time meeting and greeting old friends and new. Can't wait to hear how much we raised for St. Judes.

Met a young shooter by the name of Lightning Creek Lason (from Georgia I think)- what an outstanding young man - always helping, smiling, taking pictures, smiling and so excited about getting to shoot in the RAIN! Gotta love the young :wub:

TL B)

As a member of the host club, I would like to thank all the shooters who traveled to participate in the shoot. You guys are great. Sorry about the rain. Guess we should have started at noon. ^_^ Thanks again, hope to see you all again soon. And Harry, thanks for the donut.

Left Milan with sideways rain and 60 degrees, got home to St. Louis and it feels like summer - sunny and 93. BUT...

as a first timer to the St. Jude's shoot, I've got to tell y'all how impressed I was. Great setup, good food and fine fellowship. Rain or no, I'll be back. Hat's off to Shamrock Sis, TA and all the good folks at Shady Creek Shootists and Illowa Irregulars who worked so hard for the kids. Thank you for your fine efforts.

Left Milan with sideways rain and 60 degrees, got home to St. Louis and it feels like summer - sunny and 93. BUT...

as a first timer to the St. Jude's shoot, I've got to tell y'all how impressed I was. Great setup, good food and fine fellowship. Rain or no, I'll be back. Hat's off to Shamrock Sis, TA and all the good folks at Shady Creek Shootists and Illowa Irregulars who worked so hard for the kids. Thank you for your fine efforts.

It was Lady Cheyenne and I's first time also. We were also impressed how well this shoot is run! The people that show up for this shoot or some of the best folks you will ever meet. Even with the Bad Weather we will go back. The one thing you hear all weekend is IT'S FOR THE "KIDS" I think the folks that put this together needs a BIG THANKS for all there hard work!!!!!!!!!

Asa you should have stayed longer you got 2nd place B-Western. We have you award Rudy

This was the first year that Songbird and I attended this great shoot. We will be making the trip again.

We had a great time on a wonderful posse. Met some new folks and saw some that we have not seen in quite a while.

Thanks to everyone that puts out the effort to put on and run this great match.

You might say It's just for the kids, but is because of your efforts that we come for the kid's

Kaycee & Songbird

We had a great time!!!!!!!!

Only made it for saturday. We saw the weather comin' in and decided to stay dry.

You folks that braved the rain for the Sunday match.........Amazing!! Y'all should be proud of yourselves for what ya do for the kids!

MCM, Thanks for everything. Sorry we were so Sleepy at dinner. :blush:

BTW, someone won my raffle prize......YA NEED TO CALL ME!!!!!!!!! :D

Rain or shine, we will be back next year!!

~EE Taft~

A fun match and a great time in spite of the weather.................... Are the scores up? .....................Bandit

WOW!! We hit the $40,000 mark..

That's what we needed to hit the $250,000 mark since the inception of this shoot... glad to hear it...

Had a lot of new shooters this year Georgia, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin and of course Illinois and Iowa.. (Hope I didn't miss any states :blush: probably did) tried to make a point so say Hi to all of them... They all seem to be a great bunch of folks

Side Match Day was Great as always!!

Met the little guy from Georgia.. neat kid... shot well.. and I think all 3 of those folks that came from Georgia went home winners.. placing if not winning their catagory.. I know we were all winners for having them... :)

Hi overall man.. "Blazin' Billy Jack"

Hi overall Lady... The World Famous "Turkey Legs".. tried to get her autograph... but she was tryin' to sellem' Nah!! :lol:

Great Time Again

Rance <_< n' Lacey :)

We are dry!!! Finally got home and off the pontoon boat :lol: Still had a great time meeting and greeting old friends and new. Can't wait to hear how much we raised for St. Judes.

Met a young shooter by the name of Lightning Creek Lason (from Georgia I think)- what an outstanding young man - always helping, smiling, taking pictures, smiling and so excited about getting to shoot in the RAIN! Gotta love the young :wub:

TL B)

Lightning Creek is a great young shooter, and he is from Georgia! He is the son of Dirty Dan Dawkins, and an impressive young man. Sounds like a great match, despite the weather.

Lightning Creek is a great young shooter, and he is from Georgia! He is the son of Dirty Dan Dawkins, and an impressive young man. Sounds like a great match, despite the weather.

Dirty Dan and his son are a great example of what this sport is all about. They both did themselves proud. This match was all about the kids and Lightning Creek is an outstanding young man. I hope to be able to shoot with them again. Good job father and son...

We also had a number of other young shooters that did a great job as well, unfortunately I did not get to shoot with them. Thank you young folks for helping us keep our sport alive.

I enjoyed the match and always enjoy seeing old friends and making new ones. Congrats to the outstanding crew and your accomplishment of raising one quarter of a million dollars, wow.

Hi overall Lady... The World Famous "Turkey Legs".. tried to get her autograph... but she was tryin' to sellem' Nah!!

Awe Shucks Rance I was trying to raise more money for the Kids! :FlagAm:

Hey if ya missed it - I hope everyone got to shake the hand of the "World Famous Shooter Cowboy Rance" if not next time ya see him give him a hug from me! :wub:

To mimic Ambush it is just awesome to see that we have raised that much money in such a short period of time for such a great cause!

TL B)

:FlagAm:

I was lucky enough to shoot with 2 young shooters. And shooters they were!!! The sons of Cornbread Lawman are Zip Zander and Travis Cole.

They were always polite, helpful, and fun to be with. Thanks Cornbread!!!!! (It is for the kids)

Congratulations go out to the 2 clubs that put this shoot on!!! Shady Creek Shootists and ILLOWA IRREGULARS. TA, Sis, Dan, Mary & ol # 7 open up their hearts and wallets to ensure everyone has a great time. Thanks again.

I made some new friends, connected with some old ones, and had a great time.

Did any one mention: It's for the kids!!!

God Bless our Fallen Warriors,

WR

This was the first year that Songbird and I attended this great shoot. We will be making the trip again.

We had a great time on a wonderful posse. Met some new folks and saw some that we have not seen in quite a while.

Thanks to everyone that puts out the effort to put on and run this great match.

You might say It's just for the kids, but is because of your efforts that we come for the kid's

Kaycee & Songbird

Wow, If I had known that, I would have let Songbird call me by my first name...... Jack As instead of Mr. Pen all the time ;^)

Great shoot and had a great time.....Now if anyone finds my missing Speedo....

Jack Aspen

I was lucky enough to shoot with 2 young shooters. And shooters they were!!! The sons of Cornbread Lawman are Zip Zander and Travis Cole.

That is so right WR - they are great shooters and a hoot to shoot with! Wasn't it awesome to see so many young shooters - it sure does help our sport!

TL B)

Two of the new shooters won guns. I think they will be back. Great job everyone!!! It's all for the kids

Your right Rufus, we will be back. Lady Cheyenne still can't believe she won that shootgun! What made this her best shoot was her first time hitting a popper, seeing that beer can explode just made her day!!!! :D !!!!

Posse #4 was a blast, we meet some really nice folks, are posse worked well togther that made things even better!

Again thanks to everyone that makes this shoot happen. Red Rider Rudy & Lady Cheyenne

OUT STANDING TIME,even tho it seem to get a little wet around the edges.posse 4 was great even tho we had to edure cowboyrick,and partner.had a great time. looking to next year. A BIG THANK YOU to every one who made it happen till next year. RustyFinger

Anybody dry??

ME??? It was so bright I got sunburned! :rolleyes:

It must have been from all the smiling faces!!! :D

It was my first time there and I had a GREAT TIME!!

My thanks to every one involved for creating a great shoot. I hope to see every one next year.

JP

It was a great time and from what I have read on the wire it sounds like some serious gold dust is making its way to St. Judes.

As with a lot of you others it was my first time to the shoot. The folks at Shady Creek and Illowa made everyone feel as if they were old friends. From arrival to departure I was very impressed with how the shoot, side matches, auctions and raffles were done. And the steak, wow was that goooooooood! It is a well oiled machine.

Just wanted to extend a thank you to everyone on posse #1. It was a pleasure to shoot with each and every one of you and I apologize for not getting around to say that in person before the storm ended it. I hope I get these names right but some of my favorite memories that will make me laugh every time I think of them are the result of the friendly smiles/comments and other antics from Kaycee, Songbird, Chubby and Sarge Smokepole. There was also a young lady from Oklahoma who always had a smile even in the rain, its great to shoot with people like this.

One last thing before I go. On Sunday a member of our posse quietly approached the score keeper and accessed himself a safety violation for leaving a empty case on his rifle carrier when he went to the unloading table. No on saw the violation, and I doubt that anyone but myself and one other even heard him talking to the score keeper. Because of this pard's sense of honor, honesty and fair play he felt compelled to give himself the "P". Hats off to you sir, you have my highest respect.

Ok, that was long winded, so I'll go after I say....SEE YOU ALL NEXT YEAR!

Everyone did a fantastic job. I'm so tarred. Finally got the camper sort of cleaned out. Got my pistols layed out unassembled. Shot gun cleaned. Need to do rifle yet. I'm sort of dryed out. Haven't seen this much water since Fandangwet or the St. Jude shoot of about 5 or 6 years ago. Riding in the back of Dan's truck up the hill felt like water skiing years ago. Always an adventure. Posse 1 rocks. Just don't point out lost brass around Song Bird. She will pull your finger thinking you are in need of "help". What a hoot.

Saw lots of old friends, met some new ones. Too many good times to share. Great job by Dan, TA, Sis, Mary and Ol #7. This is one of the shoots I lok forward to each year. I hope I can make many more.

Thanks everyone for such a great time.

WOW!! We hit the $40,000 mark..

That's what we needed to hit the $250,000 mark since the inception of this shoot... glad to hear it...

Had a lot of new shooters this year Georgia, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin and of course Illinois and Iowa.. (Hope I didn't miss any states :blush: probably did) tried to make a point so say Hi to all of them... They all seem to be a great bunch of folks

Side Match Day was Great as always!!

Met the little guy from Georgia.. neat kid... shot well.. and I think all 3 of those folks that came from Georgia went home winners.. placing if not winning their catagory.. I know we were all winners for having them... :)

Hi overall man.. "Blazin' Billy Jack"

Hi overall Lady... The World Famous "Turkey Legs".. tried to get her autograph... but she was tryin' to sellem' Nah!! :lol:

Great Time Again

Rance <_< n' Lacey :)

Pleasure being on your posse, Rance(but you're a lot faster than me! <grin)

The official total of $40,100 is on it's way to St. Jude as we speak!!!!!!!!!!!! On behalf of T.A. and myself (Shamrock Sis) and Dan, Mary, and Ole #7, we cannot thank all of you enough for all the great words about the shoot. But most of all, we can't thank you enough for attending, smiling through the rain, and for opening your hearts and your wallets for the kids of St. Jude. I had the honor to visit the hopital in Memphis earlier this year and, believe me, you are doing a great, great thing for those special little kids!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shamrock Sis and T.A. Spurs

We were honored to be in the presence of such truly remarkable people.

We had a fantastic time! This was one of the most impressive, selfless groups of people I have spent time with in quite a while. It was the best trip in a long long time. I truly enjoyed myself.

Lason, Tex and I made a lot of new friends, learned a lot of new things and plan to ride with you pards again next year.

I almost didn't make this due to financial reasons. Its been a desperately bad year in business. Publicly, I would like to thank Uncertain Tex for picking up the fuel tab. Lason and I would not have made it otherwise.

Posse 5: What a great bunch. Turkey Legs, you are a ray of sunshine to us all.

I have never seen such generous donations. TA really cleaned up in the auction even though he was outbid a couple of times. He must really like sittin' around playin' dominoes.

Ya'll were all nice to Lason. I think he particularly became fond of Huckleberry and Shotgun Bandit. He loved the gamer card from Huck and going around lockin' folks fingers like Shotgun Bandit taught him.

I will post some very entertaining videos we took later.

The food was great. Lason stood at he head of the line for his steak, all alone, for a good 1/2 hour or more. For the record, and to my benefit, he could not finish his tasty rib eye.

There are lots of clubs out there. Of course most don't host state, regional or even annual matches. Big events take up a lot of effort and I know putting on a big charity match would just be too much for many people, but I highly encourage clubs with the time and even the most meager of resources to consider organizing such an event. It may be just a 1 day 5 stage match and raise a few hundred $$$. No matter. It really sunk in to Tex and I how honorable, how noble and how worthwhile any event of any magnitude truly is. Our wheels are turning.

My word to the cowboy clubs out there. Pick a charity or worthwhile cause. Put on an event. Period. Exclamation.

Dan,

I sure enjoyed meeting you and your son. You've done a fine job with him. Congratulations on your FCGF win!

Hope to see you next year. This match is put on and attended by folks anybody would be proud to know. The kids win here, but the good feeling gets to everyone.

CR

This shoot starts as word of mouth. Then you get to meet the people involved and soon enough, you figure out ways to add to the total, either through massive bidding, donations, or whatever else works for you.

It aint over.... Next year is coming.....

This is one shoot everyone should go to a dozen times or more. I've been to some shoots that have good food but this one takes the cake. Burgers at the Sweetwater Saloon, yum. Build your own tacos Friday night, I made me a taco salad, delicious. Steak sandwiches Saturday were so good I even contemplated going back for a second but I saved myself for the best durn steak I have had in a long time. Those rib eyes were the best. Real cowboy vittles.

Hey wait just a dad burned minute, I still have a miss ticket I didn't use. I wonder if I can sneak it in at the Fandango. I'll leave it in my hat band till next year. Wouldn't want to misplace it donchaknow. :rolleyes:

Guns are cleaned, still putting other stuff away but that will take the rest of the summer. Maybe I should just leave it out for next year. Plan ahead.

:D

We were honored to be in the presence of such truly remarkable people.

We had a fantastic time! This was one of the most impressive, selfless groups of people I have spent time with in quite a while. It was the best trip in a long long time. I truly enjoyed myself.

Lason, Tex and I made a lot of new friends, learned a lot of new things and plan to ride with you pards again next year.

I almost didn't make this due to financial reasons. Its been a desperately bad year in business. Publicly, I would like to thank Uncertain Tex for picking up the fuel tab. Lason and I would not have made it otherwise.

Posse 5: What a great bunch. Turkey Legs, you are a ray of sunshine to us all.

I have never seen such generous donations. TA really cleaned up in the auction even though he was outbid a couple of times. He must really like sittin' around playin' dominoes.

Ya'll were all nice to Lason. I think he particularly became fond of Huckleberry and Shotgun Bandit. He loved the gamer card from Huck and going around lockin' folks fingers like Shotgun Bandit taught him.

I will post some very entertaining videos we took later.

The food was great. Lason stood at he head of the line for his steak, all alone, for a good 1/2 hour or more. For the record, and to my benefit, he could not finish his tasty rib eye.

There are lots of clubs out there. Of course most don't host state, regional or even annual matches. Big events take up a lot of effort and I know putting on a big charity match would just be too much for many people, but I highly encourage clubs with the time and even the most meager of resources to consider organizing such an event. It may be just a 1 day 5 stage match and raise a few hundred $$$. No matter. It really sunk in to Tex and I how honorable, how noble and how worthwhile any event of any magnitude truly is. Our wheels are turning.

My word to the cowboy clubs out there. Pick a charity or worthwhile cause. Put on an event. Period. Exclamation.

Dan it was a pleasure to meet and shoot with You, Tex, and Lason. What a wonderful young man you are razing I wish my Grandson had 1/4 of the personality yer son has.Watch out in a couple of years that boy is gonna whop ya shootin. I hope we meet down the trail.......Yer pard Bandit

:D

Dan it was a pleasure to meet and shoot with You, Tex, and Lason. What a wonderful young man you are razing I wish my Grandson had 1/4 of the personality yer son has.Watch out in a couple of years that boy is gonna whop ya shootin. I hope we meet down the trail.......Yer pard Bandit

He has ten times the personality I have. Ok, so, that's stating the obvious.

He is a treasure to have and helps keep me young. Wait til ya get a load of his sister. She's 6, very pretty and ROTTEN!

He handily beat me and Tex on his pistols and rifle Sunday...til he dropped his pistol. Wait til he can handle a double (or 97...whatever he chooses).

Left my camcorder charger in Illinois. Got a good video of you he took. I'll put it up on the wire asap.

Archived