SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron/Pedersoli Lightning Rifle

Buckspen

I just purchased a Cimarron/Pedersoli Lightning rifle in .45 Colt. It's the version with 20 inch round barrel and "saddle ring carbine" butt. I like the looks and heft of the rifle, but I am having trouble loading it. It seems that the rounds need to be pushed up pretty far through the loading port into the magazine and the port is so small that my thumb won't fit. I can load the first few rounds with my little finger, but after that the spring is so strong that I can't get the rounds in all the way and they seem to get caught at the breech of the barrel. I don't have larger than normal fingers, it just seems that the loading port is too small.

Any one else having similar problems? This rifle is factory new and has never been used before.

Thanks,

Buckspen

You have to push the rounds in far because the rims have to get in front of the magazine stop finger or you will get a round under the carrier. You need a push stick. Here's a photo of one I made and keep in a bullet loop on my belt. A piece of 3/8" wooden dowel will work just as well. Some people even use an old tooth brush with the brush part cut off.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1000172-1-1.jpg

If money wuz no object I would start and cut 1 coil off the magazine spring at the front end remembering to smooth off the cut end so it doesnt scratch the inside of the mag tube.

I might be inclined to believe that the mag spring is probably the same one used in the 24" model,MAYBE? :)

Larsen E.P. - That's a good suggestion. I actually tried the eraser end of a wooden pencil and that worked pretty well, but was kind of hard on the eraser. Apparently, this is a common problem with this rifle and maybe more so with the 20 inch barrelled guns?

SlicLee - That's an interesting observation. I wonder where a fellow could get a new magazine spring. I am going to disassemble the gun and make sure it is clean and lubricated inside, so I will get an idea of how long the spring is and if there is a spacer of some kind in the tube. Parts diagrams and lists for this rifle seem to be hard to locate. I did pick up from another thread that Beauchamp & Son/www.flintlocksetc.com is the source for parts or maybe VTI.

- - - Buckspen

SlicLee, another one that works well right out of the box is the new Pedersoli. I have one in 44/40 and it's slick as a gut. Shot my first match with it Sat. CLEAN and without nary a stutter!!

Gunstock Smith

SlicLee, another one that works well right out of the box is the new Pedersoli. I have one in 44/40 and it's slick as a gut. Shot my first match with it Sat. CLEAN and without nary a stutter!!

Gunstock Smith

+1.

I just got back from Green Mt Mayhem, where I used my new 24" 45 Pedersoli Lightning for the first half, no problems and dead accurate. The magazine spring on my 24" is just as strong as the pards up above have been reporting on what I assume is their 20" models, so it looks like difficult loading is just part of the design.

BTW, the only reason I didn't shoot it for the entire match was that I wanted to give my '73 some exercise.

I have to say that I like my new Cimarron/Pedersoli. The balance is good, it functions smoothly (after it's loaded) and it looks nice. I looked at an Uberti and a Taurus before buying this rifle and they didn't look as good. It was expensive, but not unduly so. I thought I might have to modifiy or replace the stock, but it's comfortable and is about the right length of pull. I can live with the loading diffuculty. As Larsen E.P. said, an old toothbrush handle works well. I would prefer a "pusher rod" that at least looks period correct, but the soft and "sticky" quality of the toothbrush handle makes the pusher rod work more positively.

- - Buckspen

I saw a lot of pusher rods over the weekend, used on Marlin's, '73s, whatever. They were made out of bone, wood, horn, whatever. Definitely going to get myself one (or two).

Archived