SASS Wire Forum

Pome

Memorial Day :FlagAm:

I wish you all a peaceful day under free skies.

White Scalp 38 out

One good poem deserves another.

In Flanders Fields

by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Maybe I'm just feeling a little humble and sad tonight. I'll read this again tomorrow.

Yup. Humble and sad. That covers it.

Another good one. I'm sorta the black sheep in the family when it comes to military service. My dad and his three brothers all fought in WWII. Then my dad again in Korea. Then my brother, Sawyer, in VietNam. And uncles on my mother's side. I was 1-A for awhile during the end of VietNam, but never got called. I'd have proudly gone, I just didn't volunteer.

I often feel a bit guilty in that respect, and I always wonder, did I have the mental and physical toughness to survive combat? Part of me is grateful I don't know the answer, but part of me will always wonder.

But whatever, I do know, when the colors lead the parade, and people don't even bother to stand up, or take their hats off, I do get fighting mad. And the my first year on the school board I told our teachers that our students better know what the Red, the White, and the Blue stand for, and how many Americans died so they can stand and say the Pledge.

To all the veterans out there, a heartfelt thank you.

A toast.

To those who served, past and present, to those who are yet to serve, to those family and friends who have been and will be left behind, and to those who refuse to forget the sacrifice they all have made...forever. Thank you.

At 1200 hrs. I walked outside to the flagpole. I stopped to say a silent prayer for those who gave all so we could live in a free land. I then raised Her from half to full and tied Her off. As I turned away, I saw the older gentleman who lives across the street. He is a WW 2 Vet and had just returned from the morning's rememberances. There he stood, saluting as I tied Her off. That's all it took - not a dry eye in the yard. I turned and gave a salute to Her and thanked God again for those who gave all. As I turned back towards him, he was making his way back indoors and my tears showed my gratitude for folks like him. God Bless our Military.

:FlagAm:

Archived