SASS Wire Forum

There are good people in the world

A coupe of weeks ago I received and e-mail from someone whose name I didn't recognize right off, (you know, you sort of but not quite, and I couldn't place the name with an alias) asking for my address because he had something to send me, something I had said I wanted. That of course narrowed it down to a fifteen digit number, but I sent the address asking if this "thing" ticked, was violent, would crap on the floor, or would eat me out of house and home.

Thursday I went to my mailbox and found a box containing a Hoppe's double-barrel cap and ball Ethan Allen pistol in new or like-new condition. My memories went into action and I recalled a long-ago discussion of this gun.

I once, maybe 33-34 years ago, worked for Ray and Jackie Taylor at The Flintlock in Anaheim and bought two Hoppe's Allen pistols in kit form, one of these double barreled guns and a single action6 shot pepperbox. I assembled both kits, but never finished them. I fired the double once or twice. At about the same time I got a Dixie "Lincoln" deringer.

During this long ago exchange I said that I had sold the three guns and had been kicking myself ever since. I had forgotten the exchange way back when, but my benefactor hadn't.

I finally remembered the alias that went with the name and would like to publicly thank Bad Hand for a most gracious and generous gift. I hope I may someday return the favor.

(And this time the little darling will certainly be shot more that a time or two.)

Very cool. He's a good dude.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Heck... Rod... you mentioned those pistolas a long time ago... that ol' boy's gotta perty good memory.

Somebody rare back... and just slap the ever-lovin' dog crap outta me... if ya ever see me 'bout to pi$$ off Bad Hand....

(joshin'... as long as I been on the Wire... Bad Hand has always been one of the good guys...)

ts

I had the incredible good fortune of having Bad Hand on my posse at the recent Texas State Championship shoot.

A finer gentleman you will never meet.

Forty Rod, I am not at all surprised by your story. It just underlines my impression of the man.

A more true example of The Cowboy Way we may never see. I consider myself extremely lucky!

SOso

When I started shooting with a SASS club, one of the first people I met was Bad Hand..... :wub: he is a true gentleman with a wonderful sense of humor!

Miss Cubbie

Miss Cubbie said it perfectly so I will just quote her....

"Bad Hand..... he is a true gentleman with a wonderful sense of humor!"

Whether it is on the Wire or at a shoot....I am always glad to see him.

"Mr. Hand", as I call him, is a genuine class act. He has become a good friend since I met him at the first shoot I attended with Miss Cubbie. When he found out indirectly that I was in the market for a S&W 'lemon squeezer', he fished a mint condition one out of his safe and brought it to show me. He allowed me to buy it for a very good price.......far below the market rate for much lesser condition specimens!! You can always count on him for 3 things: a big smile,a dry wit and all the help you need!!

Gunstock Smith

Archived