SASS Wire Forum

44 cal.

Bullett Sass 19707

I guess the obvious is the rifle chambered for 44 Special?

Usually if a rifle/pistol is chambered for 44 Special 44 Colt will fit and then 44 Russian the shortest...Rifle might not handled a short round such as 44 colt or Russian...

Mileage may vary...

Texas Red

My brother in law cannot fit 10 44spls in his winchester 94 so is the 44 russian the shortest round. Or any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Bullett

Bullett,

I had the same problem when I found CAS. Russians won't work, too short. The 44 Special cases cut to 44 Colt length w/ 200 RNFP will get him 10 in the mag, and you don't have to modify the rifle. The 44 Colt has a smaller rim that the extractor can't get a hold of. I had the occasional stove-pipe ( same with the '92), just don't try to run it too fast. They work until you move-on to the toggle-links or a Marlin.

Good Luck,

MTC

I had the Winchester Trapper in 44 Magnum when I started SASS and it held 9 44 Magnum cases and 10 44 Special cases. First is he will probably have to use the 200gr RNFP in the 44 Special case and he may also try to either clip a coil or two of the spring or trim down the base of the follower, depending on which is causing the gun to not accept the 10th round.

If finances permit, I'd recommend looking for a Marlin in 44 Magnum. I was never able to get my Winchester to run well and it routinely stovepiped on me. I agree with comments above about trying the even shorter rounds which I strongly suspect will make the gun even less reliable.

The Winchester 1894 is a great rifle...for .30-30, .32-40, .38-55 and similar rifle cartridges.

The great gotcha with an 1894 being run too fast (very diifficult to do) is that a cartridge can slide under the carrier due to the length being much shorter than the original rifle rounds. You hand the rifle to the RO and disassmble at later to fix this problem that is never truly fixed.

We have one local shooter who uses the Win 1894 well with .45 Schofields. He simply does not run the rifle too fast.

If you like your brother-in-law, you recommend to him that a Marlin 1894 is designed to handle the pistol-length rounds. There are many, many winning shooters using Marlins. The same cannot be said of a Winchester 1894.

If you look for a Marlin, the full-blown cowboy version is a good buy. Some say that Marlin quality has decreased since they were bought out a couple of years ago. Used guns can also be found at good prices. The only Marlin that is a problem is the 16" carbine in .357 that usually holds only 9 rounds.

I started Cowboy shooting in 1985 with a Winchester model '94 in .44 Mag. I found out that it wasn't the best rifle to use that length cartridge.

I sold it and bought a Rossi '92 in 1987, in .44 and have been shooting it for 24 years. Just sayin'

Big Jake

The only Marlin that is a problem is the 16" carbine in .357 that usually holds only 9 rounds.

Howdy

I have one of those. It is Mrs Johnson's Main Match rifle. Although it would only hold 9 rounds of 357 Magnum, without modification it would hold 10 rounds of 38 Special.

My brother in law cannot fit 10 44spls in his winchester 94 so is the 44 russian the shortest round. Or any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Bullett

My suggestion: Have your bro-in-law just use whichever ammo feeds best in the gun, probably 44 magnum (loaded to CAS levels of course). It is easy to load the 10th round on the clock with these guns, just throw it into the ejection port after ejecting #9 and close the lever. He will not be shooting this rifle very fast, anyway, so it will be fine until he finds a rifle better suited for this sport.

Thats the way he has been shooting is to load 9 44spls and loading the 10th on the clock. Just was checking with those that had faced this situation before and see if there was an easy answer and I now see there is not. Thanks Bullett 19707

Archived