SASS Wire Forum

Lawnmower blades

Grizzly Dave

Out in the shop today hunting for a screwdriver or a wrench or some such, came across the two lawn mower blades I took off the lawn tractor last year and replaced. I could sharpen then I guess, but they're way dinged up and the mower deck they fit is on a 20 year old lawn tractor, don't really see a need to do that.

Anyone got a good use for these things?

Grizz

Turn them into knife blades?

It has been my experience that mower blades are not a very good quality steel, even the high dollar ones will barely cut an acre of yucca before needing to be replaced.

eGG

Lawnmower blades are pretty soft steel, unlikely to hold a good edge. Tempering won't make them much better.

I've made some small knives out of them and they seem to hold up well. Paring knives, general utility knives, one small patch knife (that one not so well, I tried to do the curved blade sharp on the inside of the curve type, never got the angle right).

I know a feller who might could use 'em, mmmhmmm..Only he don't call 'em lawnmower blades, he calls 'em sling blades..Mmmmhmmm..He likes them french fried pertaters with mustard on 'em mmmhmmm..:rolleyes:

I thought long and hard for several seconds to try to help you, Griz, figure out what to do with your blades:

An anchor for a dinghy

Manly art work for you wall

Make a spoon to stir your beans

A tool to dig in the garden

A weight to hold down loose trash in the trash can (and leave it in there to be thrown away) :blush:

--just keep it away from Billy Bob Thornton

Aunt Jen

Lawnmower blades are pretty soft steel, unlikely to hold a good edge. Tempering won't make them much better.

I have a lawnmower blade that has a hole that is the wrong size and have ruined two drill bits trying to make it bigger hole. Until now I never thought of making something else out of it. Maybe I got one of the harder ones? I guess I could ruin a couple of grinder blades / stones finding out. :lol: Might have to break out the torch to find out. :lol:

I thought long and hard for several seconds to try to help you, Griz, figure out what to do with your blades:

An anchor for a dinghy

Manly art work for you wall

Make a spoon to stir your beans

A tool to dig in the garden

A weight to hold down loose trash in the trash can (and leave it in there to be thrown away) :blush:

--just keep it away from Billy Bob Thornton

Aunt Jen

Doyle: What'cha doin' with that lawn mower blade Karl?

Karl: I aim to kill you with it.

Archived