SASS Wire Forum

Question about categories

Newbie question.....Are hammer type shotguns used in all categories or just certain ones? I would think that they would be in a different category than the pump or regular double coach guns since they well...appear to be a little slower firing because of the 2 hammers.....

They can be used in all categories. Classic Cowboy requires them or the 1887 Lever gun. So do the BP categories. I'm not sure about B Western.

Howdy Guest !

Here is a

LINK

to the SASS Handbook.

Pages 13 through 16 list category requirements.

Hope that helps.

Wimpy

They can be used in all categories. Classic Cowboy requires them or the 1887 Lever gun. So do the BP categories. I'm not sure about B Western.

Bull Skinner,

Your information is not quite correct. The ONLY category that requires exposed hammers on the SXS shotguns is Classic Cowboy. All other categories may use SXS shotguns with either exposed or non exposed hammers.

RBK

Rio

You will have to forgive Bull Skinner for he is one of us that is a little cloudey in the head after shooting all that black powder

I have a question for the learned one's out there and I don't think it's in the handbook and no I didn't take a look either. On the catagor(y or ies) that dictate the exposed hammer SXS or also allow the 1887 lever shotgun, what is the link between the two guns? You know the SXS with hammers and the 1887 with lever? I have often wondered that as I see no obvious similarity between the two. Is it an age of manufacture type of thing that brings the two together? If so, wouldn't there be some other remote trivial action type that was also made during this time frame? Just wondering. Smithy.

Hammered doubles are only required in Classic Cowboy. They are optional in all other catagories and by the way, they are not necessarily "slower" than a hammerless double or 97. Depends on the operator. Wyly Yankee uses a hammered double; Lassiter uses an 87 and they make most shooters look slow!

On the catagor(y or ies) that dictate the exposed hammer SXS or also allow the 1887 lever shotgun, what is the link between the two guns? You know the SXS with hammers and the 1887 with lever? I have often wondered that as I see no obvious similarity between the two. Is it an age of manufacture type of thing that brings the two together?

Both hammered doubles and the '87 were in service by 1888. There were only a few hammerless doubles then. For example, Remington did not have a hammerless double until the Model 1900. And no '97s until 1897. Since Classic Cowboy tries to set an "earlier" time frame than some other categories, those two shotguns got linked up.

Remember that most SASS categories are linked to guns that can actually be obtained in the reproduction market. Pinfires and revolving cylinder shotguns were around back then, as were Marlin pumps, but all of them have various problems that would make them difficult to impossible to shoot.

Good luck, GJ

Remington, Winchester and Colt all sold European-made hammerless doubles before 1888.

I shoot a hammerless SxS, 1887 and 1897. The only connections that I can think of is a fuzzy 1888 cutoff and the fun factor of shooting a hammered gun or the 1887. If you have not tried the 1887, you ought to. Slow to load, much faster to unload (boom, boom), they are addictive like no other gun in my safe.

I might give WB a try again if I could shoot my 1887. It was not in the movie, but neither was the '97. All of the scatterguns in that movie were doubles or internal hammer pumps (Model 12's?).

Rio

You will have to forgive Bull Skinner for he is one of us that is a little cloudey in the head after shooting all that black powder

Hey Peddler. You got that right!

Hey Tom B. You are right about the 87's fun factor. I shoot an 1887 lever most of the time and shoot in FCGF.

The probable truth for the inclusion of the 1887 to Classic Cowboy is that the founders of this category were playing around

with them about this time and decided to add them. :) They do loosely fit the time period. Although a number of companies were making or importing hammerless doubles during the classic period they were not well received by the average user because of the perceived safety issue. Hammers made it easy to tell when a shotgun was cocked.

Archived