SASS Wire Forum

And the flags were snapping smartly...

The alarm went off at 0430, and without hesitation my feet hit the floor. A quick shower, then a knock on the Kid's door - "I'm tying my shoes, Dad - be right out!"

Coffee mug and thermos filled and we were off. At sunrise we arrived at the cemetery in the small farming town of Reedley. It's become a tradition for the two of us to make the annual pilgrimage every Saturday before Memorial Day, where we quietly join in with members of the American Legion and a few local young people to put up flags... with nary a soul knowing us. And these are not the small hanky-sized banners, but actual casket flags donated by families of veterans buried there... each labeled with the veteran's name, branch, and either years of service or war.

I can't help myself; I have to read every one I handle, and seem to feel some connection with the "owner" of the flag. One in particular caught my eye, labeled with the name, then "WW-I AAF."

The morning was perfect; clear, a bit cool, and breezy. With the wind the wooden poles bent, and the flags snapped smartly with a sharp fluttering that was like a muted symphony - more than five hundred fifty of them!

*~Flags~*

Yup... the morning was perfect.

:FlagAm:

Good on you Hardpan.......

Good on you and yur son !! :FlagAm:

I remember doing that in the 60s with my dad and the guys from the VFW post. I wish I had listened to their stories with more attention.

One thing that was confusing to me in my youth was that I had been taught to call them Mr. Fecto, Mr. Jurgensmeyer, Mr. Douglass, and so on. But they kept telling me to call them Frenchie, Dutch, Mel, etc.

God Bless you and the Kid, Hardpan!

Excellent!! Leaves you rather speechless.

This morning we attended our community's dedication of the Wall of Valor, honoring those from Kern County KIA WWI through last month. Pretty powerful and sobering ceremony. But, at the same time, nice to see this community drive effort achieved. It's a really nice tribute.

Remembering those who served and those currently in harm's way... :FlagAm:

Wonderful Hardpan - leaves me speechless and emotional, too. What a great tribute you have in Reedley!

It seems that so many of our small towns bear a disproportionate number of our vets and fallen comrades - and also those that so devotedly remember them.... :FlagAm:

Thank you and your son for so willingly assuming and executing this responsibility.

HM

Thanks, folks... but we just went to help a little. I'm aways impressed by the teenagers who turn out to work - mostly cadets and other high school aged kids...

Dawg Ears, if you're in town this weekend, take a drive by and reflect for a moment... and mebbe we'll see ya out there next year! Just show up by 0630 or so (takes a bit to get 'em out and ready) and join in... then after, if ya know a good local spot for breakfast... :rolleyes:

Archived