SASS Wire Forum

How is this possible?

I read this on a NRA alert caught my eye.

In NY State the Assembly passed a gun law that all new semi auto guns when fired must stamp the cartridge case with a given binary code.

It has to pass another house to be law.

How can this be a law when technology for this doesnt exist?

Actually the technology does exist but the operative word is "viable". Don't remember the company name. Several years ago when I was worknig full time at a police agency range this company tried to get said agency to stump for them and were told no. Here's how it works;

The base of the bullet is micro-incribed with a serial number as is the case. under magnification these numbers can be read and if records are kept, the bullet/case can be traced back to the buyer as the theory goes. This way only the "worthy" are able to have properly registered ammunition. (I guess there aren't any thieves on planet X, or wherever these birds come from)

The same technology is used to inscribe the firing pin with a serial number which then stamps that number into the primer when the cartridge is fired thus the gun as well as the ammunition can be "identified". The downside is there is a strange and highly unusual tool known as a file that can instantly remove these marks. (Also apparently unknown to the inhabitants of planet X)

That the action of firing a gun can obscure these markings also seems to be lost on the manufacturer as well as making firing pins for the myriad of weapons out there thusly marked with serial numbers not to mention convincing the ammunition manufacturers toemploy their serial number stamping machinery in their factories. Oh yes, did I mention that this company would receive a "royalty" for each firearm and round of ammunition so stamped?

To my knowledge this system ranks right up there with the electronic gun lock that only allows the "authorized user" to fire it. It's been demonstrated in a lab and I'm sure they can W-O-W the crowd at the hopolophobe convention (or wherever popular gun-banners go) but as of yet, there's no website or phone number to contact to buy this stuff.

Interestingly enough the CSI technology HAS advanced enough that any crime lab gun dude (or dude-ette) is easily capable of identifying the cartridge and bullet fired from a particular gun however this is also not foolproof. Consider that there are several States that require the fired casings from any new gun that is sold must be submitted to the "database" which makes the above wonder of technology largely a waste of time. Not to mention the fact that most manufacturers (as seen by their reaction to new laws in CA where rather than comply they just said NO) arent going to bother with the extra cost of this system.

Also, if you bother to look, you'll find the sponsor of the bill is likely receiving campaign contributions from the company that makes the blasted stuff. This is not based on public safety.

That's what turned up in CA when they tried it here.

Guest Texas Jack Black

This has been kicking around for years .Whenever the NRA wants more $$$$ we hear about these bills.

This has been kicking around for years .Whenever the NRA wants more $$$$ we hear about these bills.

Can't fight against anti-gunners without $$$$. NRA is one of the 'good guys' and they spend alot to defend our rights. Support them!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

This passed in the Assembly just this past week. This is not a scare tactic. This is a real possibility. Our hope is that it fails in the senate again.

If it passes in the senate I have no doubt that Governor Cuomo will sign it.

I read somewhere that the company who is developing the technology has friends in high places, and stands to make a fortune if it gets passed as law.. :angry:

I've been reading all the Ruger Kiddy warnings and filing/and or reloading and shooting the extra brass that comes with each new revolver I buy from Ruger every time I get one for some time now and I just thought that Ruger had ramped up for a law that never saw the light of day seeing how one never made it in California. But reading the latest few Ruger manuals, it sounds as though the extra case law does exist somewhere? Can anyone tell me if anywhere in the country they are filing and registering cases on new guns for the "what if" day that it is used in a crime? Just curious. Smithy.

I've been reading all the Ruger Kiddy warnings and filing/and or reloading and shooting the extra brass that comes with each new revolver I buy from Ruger every time I get one for some time now and I just thought that Ruger had ramped up for a law that never saw the light of day seeing how one never made it in California. But reading the latest few Ruger manuals, it sounds as though the extra case law does exist somewhere? Can anyone tell me if anywhere in the country they are filing and registering cases on new guns for the "what if" day that it is used in a crime? Just curious. Smithy.

There are some States that require new firearms provide a fired case so they can add it to their database. Some manufacturers like Ruger do this and send the case with the firearm. New Jersey and maryland are the only ones that come to mind that have a State database mandated by law; there may be others. Here in AZ some police agencies voluntarily submit "crime gun" case & bullet samples to the federal database and I know of two instances where crimes were solv-ed as a result.

NY has this one, too. Has cost a fortune to maintain and has not solved one case. I guess that's why they think they need an actual stamp on the firing pin.

One of my EMF Dakotas was in the state before the law passed. The other after, so there is a case from that gun somewhere. After thousands of rounds and occasionally polishing the chambers, I doubt anything could be matched up.

Thanks guys for the updates. I had no idea, but the States mentioned do make sense for a state other than California and I am sorry to hear about each and every one of them. Smithy.

I read somewhere that the company who is developing the technology has friends in high places, and stands to make a fortune if it gets passed as law.. :angry:

Lobbyists, when they have a financial stake in legislation, are the serpents in the garden of the republic.

Of course it doesn't help that most State Assemblies, as well as Congress, are just glorified whorehouses.

Favors for $$$.

Lobbyists, when they have a financial stake in legislation, are the serpents in the garden of the republic.

Of course it doesn't help that most State Assemblies, as well as Congress, are just glorified whorehouses.

Favors for $$$.

You shouldn't badmouth whorehouses like that.

In CA, if I recall, there is some kind of family tie between the guy who sponsored the micro-stamping legislation and the (only) company that does it. There is a provision in the CA bill that it won't take effect until the patent on the process runs out in ... 2023(?)... I think it is, and there is more than one company that can do it.

Not unlike the gun lock law that went into effect back in 03 or 04. The bill didn't pass until just a few weeks before the date the law was to go into effect (but the date didn't get changed even though it gave almost no lead time) and locks had to be submitted for testing. BUT there was one company with ties to the author of the bill that had built locks to the specs and ready to submit. Funny how that works.

Archived