SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmith for .45 CS '66/'73

I'm looking to get a '66 or '73 set up for .45CS. I know Spur & Widder are the guys for Marlins, can anybody recommend a fella who'll be willing & able to build me a race ready rifle with Adirondack Jack's carrier? Or better yet, maybe somebody who's already got one on the shelf just waiting for me to send him a check?

cowboy 45 special, it is based on the 45ACP, almost the same size as the 45ACP but with a 45LC base, I shoot 45 specials in my revolvers, but not in the rifle

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. Where's AJ, this is his baby, he devoloped it , he can explain more in detail or go to his web site, it will explain alot more, less powder for one reason why people use it, or at least me anyway

Yeah, the main reason I'm using it is that I shoot .45ACP in USPSA, so to switch calibers on my press all I have to do is change out the shellplate & switch to lighter bullets. Don't have to tinker with the toolhead at all, and I didn't have to get another set of dies & a toolhead for .45 Colt.

AJ's original idea was that it be used for blackpowder. He says that a .45CS full of blackpowder with a light bullet is about equivalent recoil-wise with a .38 special with a 158gr. bullet.

I shoot AJ's C45S with 1.3cc of APP FFFg or FFg under a 160-200 grain bullet in my OMV's. Great load.

I suggest sizing with .45 Colt dies and using your ACP dies for expanding, seating and crimping. Crimping is a hard taper done by lowering the crimping die another 1/32" or so for good combustion. The ACP sizer makes the base too small and does not create a good seal around teh base of the case.

I'm in VT at the Green Mountain Mayhem (not sleeping, my back acting up) It's a great smokeless or BP round. I run a 160 at a shade over 500 fps in my 73..... Cowboys and Indians store has done em, as have a lotta kitchen table gun butchers. if ya can take the bolt out of yer 73, you can do one too.....

Bad news is we're temporarily out of carriers. I'll be home monday, ready to answer the phone.

Archived