SASS Wire Forum

Lucky day for me

Holden A. Grudge

Long story short: My brother in law pretty much gave up reloading. I became the very proud and grateful owner of his MEC900. Only needs a few small parts to get running again.

My questions comes from what he sent with the press. I now have about 5 bags of shotgun wads. No markings on the bags. They are light green in color but I don’t have a clue what brand or type they are. Any ideas?

Will they be any good for CAS?

Will they be any good for BP or subs?

I asked but he doesn’t remember as he said he has had them lying around for a while.

The Remington wads I use are light green in color. But they don't come in an unmarked bag, clearly marked with Remington and the model number, etc. Doesn't mean somebody didn't repackage them. There may be other mfg's who color some of their wads green as well. My suggestion is to take a bag of them to your friendly neighborhood gun shop/reloading supplyier/sporting goods store or some other source(pards who ya shoot with) and compare what ya got with a known wad. USEING what ya got without verifying WHAT ya got could have some not so good results. :blink: Good luck!

Go here and compare pictures.

OK. Looks like a little comparison is necessary to figure out what I have and if they will work.

I plan on loading some BP shotgun shells and am in the process of getting everything I need. Have lots of left over hulls (both AA and STS).

Was planning on getting some WT12 Winchester wads but then this whole big mess of wads ended up in my lap. Will still get the WT12s (unless i decide to go with card and fiber wad..hmmmmm) but will do some comparing with what I have to see if they are close.

What's the shock absorber between the base wad and the shot cup look like? Winchesters will look like four coffee stirsticks; Remingtons will look like they drilled three slots thru with two small holes touching one on top of the other; Claybusters will look like a circle, a disk, and a circle all stacked.

I just bought a couple of bags of Claybuster wads. They come in an unmarked clear bag with the info on a sheet of paper on the inside of the bag. Midway had photos of all of the wads. Looks like the CB1114's are light green.

Holden, do the wads have a traditional piston below the shot cup? If so, they would be difficult, not impossible, to load BP with. You will use signicantly more of the volumn of the case below the shot for powder than with smokeless. You can cut the pistons off carefully with a razor knife. The Winchester Red wad is basically just a shot cup, very short piston. You can look here to get an ides of what I am saying. Ny the way, get the Claybuster brand equivilent, save about 50%.

http://www.claybusterwads.com/

Thanks to all your help I did a lot of looking and solved the mystery of the wads.

This is what they are

Looks like I could use them for smokeless but I haven't as of yet looked up any data. I sure do have a lot of them.

Thanks again for all the input. As I start getting my press up and running for BP I am sure I will have more questions. Especially in relations to powder bushings and shot bars as right now I have what seems to be a 1oz shot bar and no idea what bushing is in there or how much it will throw, or even what I will need.

And it looks like the little chain for the primer feeder thingy is missing so I will need to figure that out as well.

Archived