SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a vest, need help with fit

I'm looking for a vest to complete my outfit, but I'm having a little trouble finding one that fits me right. As such, I don't wanna order online without trying one on first. I'm 6 feet tall, and I weigh about 255. My chest/suit size is 48 Long. I have a "spare tire". The problem I keep running into with vests I try on in stores is that if they're big enough to fit around my midsection they're too big in the shoulders. If they fit me in the shoulders, they're too tight around the midsection.

What I'm looking for is somebody who's built like me that's found a vest that fits, ideally something flashy in a bright color.

Thanks!

Hi Dick,

Hubby is tall too, 6'5". Although he always wears tall sizes, he did not like tall size vests as they interfered with his holsters.

I have found the same thing. They either need to be long enough to stay tucked in the holster or short enough to not interfere.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yeah, off-the-shelf vests just don't fit folks with waists larger than chest. If you look at lots of CAS cowboys who have an ample front porch, they just don't wear a vest. You can go John Wayne style, wear a shorter vest and never button it. :P Just make sure it does not hang right over the top of your holsters.

Good luck, GJ

Yeah, off-the-shelf vests just don't fit folks with waists larger than chest. If you look at lots of CAS cowboys who have an ample front porch, they just don't wear a vest. You can go John Wayne style, wear a shorter vest and never button it. :P Just make sure it does not hang right over the top of your holsters.

Good luck, GJ

I like that! When I wear my vest it is never buttoned, wouldn't button if I tried. It took a bit of getting used to how it hang around the holsters, and at first I'd take it off when it was my turn to shoot.

Ask around at your local clubs, chances are there is someone local who can either make you one to spec, or alter one to fit you just right.

Grizz

If ya get over toward Sparta and the World Shooting Complex, there's a couple gals that call themselves " The Two Sisters" who set up as vendors. They make vests and other clothing and they'd fix ya right up. I got a couple of their vests, good quality and look more rustic, authentic, than store boughts.

Ps. I'm wearin' one in the avatar on the left.

I actually was able to find one vest that fits me just right, snug but not tight around the middle, loose enough in the shoulders but not so loose it looks like a potato sack, and a little short so it wouldn't interfere with my holsters, but unfortunately it's part 3 of a 3-piece suit I just bought for a wedding & it's too nice to wear on the range. Maybe if I found a local tailor I'd be able to use that as a template. I'm not that big around the middle(I wear size 42 pants) but apparently that's just big enough to give me problems with fit.

Thank you all for your input.

I'm going with everyone else and say find a good tailor. I'm short and wide but have a long torso, so nothing off the rack fits me right. I have found that tailor-made vests are not that much more expensive than off-the-rack ones. A ggod tailor can use that fancy vest as a template, but you may have to find some material you like.

Shakey

No one says you have to wear a vest, I wore one my first year of shooting, haven't wore one since, quite a few don't wear them, some classes may require it like Classic Cowboy, vests are pretty hot to wear in 85 to 95 degree heat while shooting, that is why I quit wearing them after the first year, just wear them now for socials and things of that nature

All for now JD Trampas

I see your point JD, but I'm pretty set on it. You know how sometimes you got a picture in your head and it's gotta be just right? My girlfriend was giving me a hard time when I bought that suit. I wear baggy cargo shorts or jeans & t shirts most of the time and care nothing about how my clothes look, but apparently when it comes to dress clothes and cowboy outfits I am in her words, "like a fussy little woman".

I see your point JD, but I'm pretty set on it. You know how sometimes you got a picture in your head and it's gotta be just right? My girlfriend was giving me a hard time when I bought that suit. I wear baggy cargo shorts or jeans & t shirts most of the time and care nothing about how my clothes look, but apparently when it comes to dress clothes and cowboy outfits I am in her words, "like a fussy little woman".

:)

Sounds like we are close to the same size (I'm 6'1" 255). I love vests and shoot in classic cowboy. I wear 2X in Wahmaker, Fronier classics and such. My favorite and best fitting vests are from River Junction VESTS . I went with a size 52 from River Junction so if it's cold out I can wear a couple layers under them.

Chili Pepper Kid

I'm 6' 1" and 250 so pretty darn close and errantly ordered a 3X vest and could swim in it. I really should have ordered a 2X and it would have fit me just fine. I took the 3X to my seamstress and she made it work to a tee. If you didn't mind, get a 3X and do what I did, take it to a seamstress to have it tailored to fit. There will be more than enough extra in the love handle department and such to be tailored into the size that you need without pinching anything off. Smithy.

Archived