SASS Wire Forum

lee loadmaster

boom pop

i am looking for input from anyone that has used a lee loadmaster for 45 colt. a friend has offered me his for next to nothing because he is now bed ridden. if it is not worth using i do not want to waste my time trying to use it, he said he had no problems with it and enjoyed using it, looking for input, thanks pop.:blush:

Boom, a whole bunch of years ago I tried a Lee Pro 1000. Hated the thing!

However, this machine is somewhat of a different animal. Haven't used one, but if you check this video it looks kinda neat:

For now though, I'll stick with my Dillon - but if I didn't have it I might consider this Lee.... :rolleyes:

I have a Lee Loadmaster and it's great. I only load 38 Special on mine so far. It will really crank out the rounds. The only problem I've had was with the plastic piece that pushes the primers from the feeder to the ram. I had to replace it but since then it has given me zero problems. Once you get it set up and learn what it likes and what it doesn't you will be a happy man. Go for it.

Like many progressive presses, The load master doesn't do the best job of priming. I would highly recommend that you not prime on the press, but in stead, hand prime with a hand priming tool of your choice. It does have the luxury of having five die positions, which allows for a powder check die before you set and crimp a bullet in place.

I would highly recommend that for your money, you stay with a Lee Pro 1000, or step up to a Hornady Lock n Load Progressive or a Dillon 550.

The Hornady is auto progressive whereas the 550 you have to manually turn from position to position.

Lee Pro 1000 = 175.00

Lee Load Master = 300.00

Hornady Lock n Load AP 425.00

Dillon 550 = 450.00

All will turn out produce ammunition.

Boom Pop,

I'd say go for it. I have had one for many years, and in my experience the common problems with this press are caused by the press being mounted out of plumb.

When I first got mine I had no loading experience. In a very short time I had it running like a Swiss watch. A year or so later I mounted it to a different bench in another part of my basement, and all the common problems (crushed or flipped primers, damage to the plastic primer guide, sometimes the case feeder would not align the case with the depriming die) surfaced.

Found a thread here by a shooter that was having similar problems. One reply said to check the press was level. a couple of washers later the problems had disappeared. I have just recently moved the press to a third bench and the first thing I did was insure the press was level.

Like any machine it has it's likes and dislikes. Mine doesn't run CCI primers as well as Winchester or Remington, but when that was all I could get it ran well enough to get by.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

give it a try...i have 2 and load 45 colt/38's and the "biggest" issue i have had is primer feeding...now I hand prime all the cases and have ZERO issues (i resize/deprime...tunble..then prime)...yes, hand priming is an extra step but it only take 30 minuits to prime 500 cases so foe me, its worth it...

also, clean the dies every couple hundred rounds to reduce buildup in them...

PS: loaded 10k+ rounds with mine, as for a "dillon", cant see spending the cash for one at this point in time, no offense to the dillon folk....and as we say "it aint broke so dont fix it"..

go for it!

I have used a Lee Loadmaster for a long time. Have used it for .38sp, .44mag and .45acp. The primer feed system is a little cranky but not impossible. There are two things to look for: wear on the primer slider and keeping the primer trough clean. Lee will replace the worn or damaged primer slider (and other plastic parts) for free.

At present I am only using my Loadmaster for .44mag and .45acp. The large primer system seems to be a bit less of an issue compared to small primers.

Your mileage may vary,

Blackfoot

I load 45 colt with my Loadmaster and have not had a problem. There is a web site dedicated to it which can give you some hints as to setting up the dies and lube points.

loadmastervideos.com

I've found that I have to keep it clean so I clean the primer feeding parts about every 500 -1000 rounds. Then it works quite well.

I think it takes a little more maintenance than really great presses like the Dillon, but they too need to be cleaned, just not quite as often. And with the shell feeders, it puts out a good quantity of ammo in relatively little time.

A good pard gave me a Lee Loadmaster to get me started. I learned with it, and still use it today, along with a Dillon Square Deal and a Dillon 650. The only problem I ever had was with a little plastic primer pusher that I tore up because I didn't stop when I should have. This is part of the learning process. I ordered three of the little parts, but have not had to replace it again, since I learned to stop when the press tells me to. I prefer the Dillons, but the Lee gives me quality ammo that I shoot every week. If you can get a Lee for a good price, don't think twice about it. You can sell it someday if you want to change brands. No matter what brand you start with, there is a learning curve. I'm glad I started with a Lee, because I'd like to learn all I can about reloading. If you only learn with one brand, I think you are not learning all you can about the whole process.

YMMV

Cash

If your friend wouldn't mind, ask to let you load some on it to see how it works for you. Then you can see if you like it.

Some folks get a feel for machinery and can adapt well. Others have more difficulty.

And, I have only loaded on a couple of Lee's and they worked well, but others may not work as well.

I use a Loadmaster and have not had a problem with it 1000's of rounds. If you have a problem with go to you tube and punch in lee loadmaster, there are videos on everything about the thing. RR

This is one of those "your mileage may vary" things, as usual. Some folks love 'em, some folks hate 'em. Once upon a time I had a Loadmaster set up for .45 Colt. After a while it ate its own primer feed, and all the new parts I fed it. Handpriming when you have a progressive press sitting right in front of you is kind of a contradiction in terms if you ask me, but I kept the Loadmaster until I saved up enough pennies for a Dillon, at which point I sold the Lee and bought a Dillon 550 and haven't looked back...

On the other hand, loading with a Loadmaster will give you a greater appreciation for a good press when you do get one...

thank you good folks for the input i do appreciate the time you take to help out.

I load 45 colt; 44-40; and 44sp/44 mag and 9mm with my Load Master.I've found that when the Primeing System gives trouble it's because of me; dirt; or oil where it does'nt belong; or maladjustment. I use a Powder-thru Expanding Die at the Primer Station and it works fine for alignment with Primer. Pay particular attention to details and as mentioned watch the many helpful videos on you tube and you will enjoy your Loadmaster,,, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived