SASS Wire Forum

PayPal Screwing with my $$$

Jack Houston # 35508

Just got an e-mail from PayPal, they say they are going to start putting a 21 day hold on payments received! Even if I have no negative reports or complaints! They just need to make the interest accrued on your $$$ is my guess.

I haven't sold anything on E-Bay in awhile, just receive payment from customers.

Just a heads-up for all of y'all who have a PayPal account!!! :angry:

I haven't received the mail yet either, although I don't like Pay-Pal because of their anti-gun related policies, it is a necessary evil if you buy and sell on E-Bay. Wish there was some other option. ......Mink....

Pay Pal and E Bays' anti-gun rules are why I don't use either .....

And won't let family members use them either ....

Jabez Cowboy

I haven't received the mail yet either, although I don't like Pay-Pal because of their anti-gun related policies, it is a necessary evil if you buy and sell on E-Bay. Wish there was some other option. ......Mink....

I don't have PayPal and I have no desire to have it. Every seller I have dealt with on Ebay has been more that happy to accept a Money Order. Just contact them and ask.

eBay has started charging thier cut on your shipping charges as well as the final value of your item. That should be illegal since you don't "sell" the shipping. I know they are anti-gun, but I make a good bit of money on eBay and there's no where else to get the exposure. I've had no issues with paypal, your e-mail could have been a scam, especially if they gave you a link in the email to click on...

The reason eBay charges a cut on the shipping is because some people would "sell" an item worth $100.00 for $.99 and charge $100.00 for shipping. That way, they would screw eBay out of their commission but still make money by charging way too much for shipping.

I think the PayPal email is a scam, too. Neither me nor my wife have gotten one and we use it all the time. I don't agree with their antigun position either, but, that's California for you. When someone comes up with something better, I'll switch.

Rufus

It's NOT a Scam!! I called them today and it was confirmed! I think it's because I stopped selling there and just use PP for customer payments ever since they deleted my photos of holsters showing holsters w/pistol in them and belts w/shells in them.

Whatever they will now lose the 3% they have been charging me!

Just a heads-up for all of y'all who have a PayPal account!!!
Jack, you missed the biggie they have been pulling for years. It's called 'float'

OK, I need to transfer $$$ to my PayPal account from my bank account.

* Wording on PayPal ...

It takes 3-5 business days to electronically transfer funds from your bank account to your PayPal account.

* Pure unadulterated bulls*it. It takes 2 - 3 days for an electronic wire transfer, depending on the transfer to / transfer from Federal Reserve District ... normally 2 days

PayPal waits the full 5 days. And to boot, they credit your account the NIGHT of the 5th day. So, you account is really funded on the 6th day

OK, float on 4 days that they have YOUR money and they invest it earning INTEREST Income. In times when the Overnight Investment Rate with the Federal Reserve was higher - they really were putting the pork to PayPal users. The rate is now much lower but - they are still putting the pork to users

Me? I call PayPal around noon of the 3rd day - tell them that my online bank account shows the transfer debited YESTERDAY ... and I want my PayPal account to reflect the transfer NOW. Bitching usually gets me credited for the transfer on the night of the 3rd day when they run the batch program to update accounts for transfers

Also, I don't keep large amounts of $$ in my account. If I make a large eBay purchase, do the bank to PayPal transfer and tell the eBay seller I'll pay when the transfer is credited. Usually the evening of the 3rd day

When is the best time to make the request for the transfer to PayPal? Before noon before the bank's Wire Room winds down and is activating the outgoing Wires

Jack, I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing this up.

As I was reading John Boy's post, it dawned on me that when you make a purchase thru PayPal on eBay that the funds are debited from your bank account or charged to your credit card immediately. I know this because I get instant alerts from my CC company and bank when an electronic debt hits either account.

So, you know PayPal can do the instant transfer in their direction and then hold your funds hostage in the other direction. Hmmmm, makes me rethink using the scumbags.

Rufus

I did a PayPal on an Old Army (not thinking in advance) and boy did that one catch me off guard! A few months later when I had sold some leather gear and needed the money real bad they froze my account and only said I violated their rules. It took numerous emails back and forth before I ever found out what the true cause (the Old Army) was. I had to kiss and make up and swear that I would NEVER ever do that horrible thing ever again (to be able to get my 200 bucks) I haven't, but then again I haven't used their service, instead relying on good ol money orders instead. Smithy.

Howdy, I quit selling on Ebay a couple of years ago when she mandated that you had to accept Paypal payments and couldn't dictate which ones you'd take. I still buy stuff, still use Paypal, just won't sell on there and it's really put a damper on gettin rid of some of my junk. To start selling again Paypal would hold the funds till a positive feedback was given, according to some sellers I know, or in one case till the 45days was up to file a claim. I have been on the other side of the coin as well, all sellers are not reputable people and will take your money and run. Yes I checked there feedback first, but its like a pyramid scam the first 10 or so get a good deal, they get another 10 orders, get paid, and are gone forever. So I understand Paypal's Policies,I don't agree with all of them but, it's a way to cover there a$$. Just my 2cents, Kent Hitnuttin

havent sold on ebay latey, was thinking of listing a couple "bigger ticket items", but now will re-think that...thanks for this heads up thread...I trust cowboys words...

It is not a new policy. You either have to get positive feedback or show proof of delivery. I think once either of those are proven the actual turnaround of the funds is pretty quick. It is definitely geared toward protecting the purchaser, which might have a benefit to Paypal as well. Before my wife started using it to sell stuff it never was a priority for me to leave feedback of any kind, now that I know what impact it could to the seller I make it a point to leave positive feedback. Overall it is actually a convenient service.

QWL

The reason eBay charges a cut on the shipping is because some people would "sell" an item worth $100.00 for $.99 and charge $100.00 for shipping. That way, they would screw eBay out of their commission but still make money by charging way too much for shipping.

I think the PayPal email is a scam, too. Neither me nor my wife have gotten one and we use it all the time. I don't agree with their antigun position either, but, that's California for you. When someone comes up with something better, I'll switch.

Rufus

What do you mean "that's California for you", like Forty Rod I get tired of hearing people like you take cheap shots at California!

I was sent some bad stuff on E Bay but made a bad choice by putting up a positive input for seller. I had over 1000 + rating. It was a leather stool I had bought for my wife. Well on the second day we had it it broke. I contacted the seller and she refused a refund. I went through all of my appeals and lost because they said I left positive feedback. I explained that if you buy a product from someone and shake their hand and tell them how happy you are does not mean if it breaks when you are at home you are out of luck. They would not listen. I told them to close my E-Bay and Pay Pal accounts and they refused saying I would have to wait one year to close my E-Bay account. My year without a purchase is only days away. For the price of a 27.00 stool they lost a customer who spent thousands with them.

What do you mean "that's California for you", like Forty Rod I get tired of hearing people like you take cheap shots at California!

Oh lord - here we go again - hate to tell ya pard, but since Cali is a great state that has to deal with crap politics the jokes, cheap shots, whatever you feel it is ain;t going away.

As a fellow native California I used to get a little peeved about the jokes or whatever (and when I was in Texas, some of the Cali jokes were... uh, not so good) - but really ~ why sweat the small stuff ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I did a PayPal on an Old Army (not thinking in advance) and boy did that one catch me off guard! A few months later when I had sold some leather gear and needed the money real bad they froze my account and only said I violated their rules. It took numerous emails back and forth before I ever found out what the true cause (the Old Army) was. I had to kiss and make up and swear that I would NEVER ever do that horrible thing ever again (to be able to get my 200 bucks) I haven't, but then again I haven't used their service, instead relying on good ol money orders instead. Smithy.

Ebay and PayPal have been known to freeze any account that has to do with guns. To me that is elitist and unethical. I treat them accordingly.

Mink..right with ya. Wish there was a better way too. Until then I guess I am still gonna have to use PP and EBay.

GG

+1 -

Have had no emails -

No issues -

They have helped me a time or 2 & hurt me a time or 2 -

Roll the dice & do wats best for YOU---

I had that happen with paypal about 6 months ago. It was for something I sold for like $120, they put a hold on it until I received feedback on Ebay. I guess they are linked somehow. Haven't had it happen since then and I use Ebay all the time. In fact, just came back from shipping a package off.

I had that happen with paypal about 6 months ago. It was for something I sold for like $120, they put a hold on it until I received feedback on Ebay. I guess they are linked somehow. Haven't had it happen since then and I use Ebay all the time. In fact, just came back from shipping a package off.

That aint right-

Had to be a Echeck or something?

Feedback on Ebay has NOTHING to do with receiving or sending funds!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just checked the eBay site.

If you follow their menu tree: Home, Outdoors, Decor => Sporting Goods => Outdoor Sports => Hunting ... it takes you to a whole bunch of gun-related categories. :o

Yeah it will take you to those catagories and you can buy some gun parts, reloading presses, etc. However, you can not sell or buy any type of firearm or ammo and in some cases the sellers trying to sell spent brass on Ebay have been hasseled and foreced to remove it or Ebay will. Open "Hunting" or "Outdoor Sports" and see all of the non firearm items, like camo hats, calls, fishing rods, etc. Not saying Ebay doesn't provide a useful service for some people but forcing the pay pal down your throat, and I know there are ways around it but Ebay does too and they are now starting to charge seller fees for large ticket items, like automobiles, up front. Some are flat rate minimums to ensure they get a profit from a listing wheather it sells or not and to ensure they get some $$ from the sales that take place off line. I know it may not seem fair but not many people are going to shell out $20 - $30,000.00 on an unseen vehicle. Thats why the lower dollar amount of deposits, like $500.00, are made via pay pal and the rest made in cash or check upon inspection and pick up. Pay Pal froze my funds and would not release them until the buyer posted a positive feedback. Since you can't speak with a real person at EBay, I found out after exchanging emails or live contact with the computer on the other end, that I may not have a recourse to get my funds if the buyer did not post positive feed back and the buyer could get a refund thru the buyer protection program AND keep my item if buyer posted a negative comment and filed a "complaint against seller". This was about a year and a half or two years ago and I don't know if anything changed or not because when that happened I quit Ebay and Pay Pal.

Captain, That is correct, you can both buy and sell parts, just not "guns". Kent

Therer are better places to buy guns anyways - right Outlaw Gambler? ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

NO it dont-

Dont matter who owns it-

Feedback has NOTHING to do with gettin or receiving funds! ...

Well, maybe you otta' call them and find out it does make a difference like I did!!

When was the last time you actually talked to a live person at PayPal?

Many of the criticisms of eBay and PayPal posted here are valid, but others are largely misconceptions from those who are not actively involved with the sites. It’s easy for those who are not dependant on eBay income for their livelihood to espouse, “Don’t sell on eBay”. It’s just not that simple!! While I hate both eBay and PayPal with a passion, I am in the unfortunate position of having to use them to make my living. I sell fishing tackle and sporting goods exclusively on the internet, with generally 200-300 listings on eBay, and a feedback rating over 5,000. So, my experience with eBay and PayPal is considerable. As much as I dislike doing business there, there is simply no other viable website available that can deliver the number of potential buyers and the volume of business that is available with eBay. But, PayPal and eBay are so one-sided in favor of buyers, with little or no rights nor respect for sellers (plus being vehemently anti-gun), it’s a continual case of ‘swallow your pride or close up shop‘.

They continually increase seller’s rates and fees, while their net annual profit continues to soar. So, the sellers’ cost of doing business is forever rising, while our standing in the eBay community deminishes. In my experience, almost all transaction disputes are decided in favor of the buyer, with the seller having little or no active input. I simply chalk it off to the cost of doing business.

Relating to the OP, a further example of this anti-seller posture is the recent decree (effective 6/1, but well-announced on the eBay site) that, simply stated, says that sellers that don’t have a near-perfect feedback and performance rating will have their PayPal funds withheld until proof is received that the item has been actually delivered to the buyer. This, of course, all based on eBay’s one-sided seller performance system.

If there was a viable alternative to eBay, I’d be gone in a minute!! In the meantime, I comfort myself with the thought that the income I receive off eBay pays for all my guns and gear, and for all my shooting activities, including SASS, not to mention other incidentals such as food, gas and electricity. So, I bite my lip and “take it to the bank”.

JMHO,

Kid Latham

I used to use Paypal on my website. At that time you could, and I did, sell brass on ebay as well. Then Ebay stopped brass sales after bad press they got when the VA Tech shooter bought magazines on ebay. I thought nothing of it, and continued to use paypal on my website, unaware that Paypal as a part of Ebay (Ebay bought them somewhere along the line, Paypal used to be a separate company). Then one day I got a notice they'd frozen my account, demanding cartridge brass (my main product) be removed entirely from my website. They were intent on freezing my account, holding hostage MY several thousand dollars until I stopped selling brass. I immediately contracted with a "real" credit card service (which ain't cheap) and pulled all the paypal buttons, logos, etc from my site. They unfroze my account, and I transferred all but three cents from the account. They've been accounting for that three cents for years, posting statements, etc. No Paypal or Fleabay for me, ever again, thanks.

My advice to casual sellers, buyers of anything "gun", use either a postal money order or a money order from Walmart (redeemable at any Walmart). It's cheaper and easier than dealing with banks for some folks, and is a "paid in advance" instrument, unlike a personal check. For those in business, get ya a real credit card processing account.

Archived