SASS Wire Forum

73 Longer Firing Pin

Tell me about the longer 73 firing pin and spring being sold. What is it's purpose and what problem is it trying to solve? Any negatives in installing one or special instructions in installing one? What does the lightweight firing pin extension do differently?

I have a friend that had it done, having all kinds of problems with it, wouldn't fire primers, no matter what primers, sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't, it is at the gunsmith right now trying to figure what is wrong with it.

If your stock one is working fine, I would leave it that way, just my thought is all, I'm no gunsmith and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn lately either, not sure what advantage there is to the longer firing pin, can't wait to hear some experts with there opinions

All for now JD Trampas

The longer 73 firing pin is made for guns that just don't want to dent primers well with the standard Uberti length pin. Could be a little bit of extra headspace, could be other things. The longer pin is made to be fitted for the proper amount of protrusion (don't have my reference book to quote the number, though) by filing off the back end (where the firing pin extension hits) until you reduce it to the right amount of protrusion from the bolt face.

The lightened firing pin extension is made to enable more energy from the hammer fall to be directed to striking the firing pin, rather than just getting the standard, heavy firing pin extension (rod) moving. Useful with lightened main springs. If a gun only fires Federals, than installing a light FPE may allow firing some of the harder primers.

Good luck, GJ

Tell me about the longer 73 firing pin and spring being sold. What is it's purpose and what problem is it trying to solve?

It helps to ensure the primer is hit well enough to fire. Since the guns are set up as inertia firing pins, a little longer pin can help out.

Sometimes, the head space is a little too generous and the longer firing pin helps - in which case that is not the preferred fix.

Any negatives in installing one or special instructions in installing one?

I believe it would slightly increase the possibility of firing out of battery.

What does the lightweight firing pin extension do differently?

It weighs less :D :D The theory is that the lighter weigh lessens inertia so a lighter hammer tension is needed to fire the primer.

I typed slower that time. :D

Do the instructions for installation to get the correct firing pin position come with a longer firing pin? I have one 73 that very occasionally has a light hit on the primer while the hammer spring seems totally adequate. The 73 does have a trigger block spring installed.

Do the instructions for installation to get the correct firing pin position come with a longer firing pin? I have one 73 that very occasionally has a light hit on the primer while the hammer spring seems totally adequate. The 73 does have a trigger block spring installed.

No, not that I remember. The Pioneer long firing pin is 0.015" longer than the Uberti. So, try the pin as it is delivered. If that punctures primers, then shorten it by about 0.005 at a time. Or, call Joe Alves and he will probably walk you through it. He's good at that!

Do make sure that the firing pin channel in the bolt is clean and does not have any burrs in it. It is amazing how often crud or burrs there can be found. And the replacement spring has been found to be slightly larger in diameter than the factory, so if you use it, make sure the firing pin moves freely and does not bind.

The "lever safety" should have no effect on the strength of the firing pin strike, if fitted at all properly.

Good luck, GJ

You really want to have a look at the Shotgun Boogie '73 firing pin. It is longer, it is virtually unbreakable, and it has a design feature that every '73 firing pin should have, but doesn't.

Serious medicine that makes that problem go away.

Cheers,

FJT

I'm curious to know if the pin is made longer by extending the front end of it or by increasing the length of the expanded part at the rear.

Someone, above, mentioned taking material off the rear to fit it. That seem incorrect to me, and the firing pin expansion at the rear can peen the spring channel enough to bind the spring and pin. So, a longer rear portion would be a dangerous thing.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm curious to know if the pin is made longer by extending the front end of it or by increasing the length of the expanded part at the rear.

Someone, above, mentioned taking material off the rear to fit it. That seem incorrect to me, and the firing pin expansion at the rear can peen the spring channel enough to bind the spring and pin. So, a longer rear portion would be a dangerous thing.

Well, that someone would be me, and if you don't want to believe it you can read Pioneer's instructions or call Joe Alves. That is the way he designs his firing pins. And by taking material off the rear, it leaves the tip exactly as he machined it. rather than having all sorts of odd shapes end up there after folks file the tip. It also means the spring compression distance stays exactly as he designed it.

Good luck, GJ

Well, that someone would be me, and if you don't want to believe it you can read Pioneer's instructions or call Joe Alves. That is the way he designs his firing pins. And by taking material off the rear, it leaves the tip exactly as he machined it. rather than having all sorts of odd shapes end up there after folks file the tip. It also means the spring compression distance stays exactly as he designed it.

Good luck, GJ

Sorry to make you feel defensive. I'm not sure how that happened, but I get grumpy too sometimes.

My point is, that by lengthening the "head" of the firing pin, you increase the amount of peening that occurs to the opening on the narrower, spring channel, part of the tunnel that runs through the bolt.

This peening causes a constriction over time that will bind the spring and firing pin to cause an out of battery discharge as gun is levered. A potentially serious situation.

I was hoping the response would be that the pin was longer at the point, so that the "head" of the firing pin did not bottom out on the spring channel opening. Too bad that's not the case.

It would be unsafe to do any significant amount of dry firing with a gun configured with a lengthened head. This is the same as putting a spot weld on the firing pin extension. That also results in bound firing pins and out of battery explosions.

No thanks.

Sorry to make you feel defensive. I'm not sure how that happened, but I get grumpy too sometimes.

My point is, that by lengthening the "head" of the firing pin, you increase the amount of peening that occurs to the opening on the narrower, spring channel, part of the tunnel that runs through the bolt.

This peening causes a constriction over time that will bind the spring and firing pin to cause an out of battery discharge as gun is levered. A potentially serious situation.

I was hoping the response would be that the pin was longer at the point, so that the "head" of the firing pin did not bottom out on the spring channel opening. Too bad that's not the case.

It would be unsafe to do any significant amount of dry firing with a gun configured with a lengthened head. This is the same as putting a spot weld on the firing pin extension. That also results in bound firing pins and out of battery explosions.

No thanks.

Yep, right on, and I've seen it. However,,,,,,,, as Marauder pointed out, these are now set up by Uberti with inertia firing pins and, as such, there is usually about .010 to .018" (sometimes more) of free space ahead of the firing pin head (before it bottoms out). That extra space is designed in to provide for the "inertia" part of the process and can be utilized to provide for more firing pin protrusion beyond the face of the bolt after when we lighten the springs. But, if, by spot welding or by turning the striker face, there is too much added, you can get the exact result you describe. The trick is in measuring the amount of extra space you have to work with and building accordingly. New Uberti's are now often coming with very little firing pin protrusion (sans inertia)and when we lighten the main spring, the inertia part of the design doesn't work as well.

Archived