SASS Wire Forum

Whats the call?

Good point Colt.

One thing that has be puzzled is the 'must fire' in order to restage rifle correctly/safely.

IF it is a Marlin, the chambered round can be ejected and the one on the carrier can be rolled out. THEN, the action can be closed with NOTHING chambered and all remaining rounds are in the magazine.

This would appear to me to be a legal way to restage the rifle without ANY penalty, except the shooter would need to load 2 extra rounds in the rifle to avoid those misses from shots not fired.

..........Widder

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palewolf, I'm having a really tough time with this one. Specifically reconciling the RO1 Manual:

RO 1 page 17

Rifle Safe to leave the shooters hands.

Empty, action open

Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed

(restaged for further use)

Page 18 RO 1

17. Long guns will have their actions left open and the magazine/barrels empty at the conclusion of each shooting string. A 10 second minor safety penalty will be assessed if the firearm is not cleared and opened. This condition may be corrected prior to the next round being fired. If the long gun is the last firearm used, it must be cleared prior to it leaving the shooters hand(s) at the unloading table. This does not apply to guns shot out of sequence and made safe and then restaged.

and your response in post number 23 to post number 21 by Holden A. Grudge:

"You can move with a rifle open and rounds still in it but for restaging it either has to be closed and hammer down on empty chamber or spent round, or open and fully empty?"

with your response in post number 36 and subsequent posts.

The way the books read to me is that the correct thing to do would have been to open the action, remove the round that had been in the chamber and the 2nd round on the carrier, close the action, pull the trigger on the empty chamber (note, there is no mention of decocking) and then restage the rifle for further use.

However, the way I'm reading your interpretation is that as soon as the action is cycled on the rifle you're stuck with a choice between a P and a MSV. What is it that makes it unsafe or against the rules to simply drop the hammer (again, not decock) on an empty chamber, then restage the rifle for further use (as is provided for in two different locations in the RO1 Manual)?

I am especially curious why it is considered safe to restage the rifle with rounds in the magazine only if you have fired a round out of sequence, but it is considered unsafe to drop the hammer on an empty chamber and then restage the rifle in exactly the same manner.

I'm not expecting a response until after EOT, as you're probably more than a little bit busy, but I am very curious.

Badlands Bud

BTT - hoping for an answer to the question - At what point does the shooter earn the MSV -- when his hands leave the rifle or when he cocks the next gun?

Oracle Jones

Oracle,

As I understand what Palewolf has said, the MSV is for cocking the rifle but not firing it. So when the shooter cycled the action and loaaded a round in the camber, the shooter was doomed. When the shooter then opened the action, they got the minor safety. The only other choice would be to fire the rifle and get a P.

So as he said, it would be a 10 second penalty either way, but you can only get one P, but you could get multiple minor safety penalties.

Oracle,

As I understand what Palewolf has said, the MSV is for cocking the rifle but not firing it. So when the shooter cycled the action and loaaded a round in the camber, the shooter was doomed. When the shooter then opened the action, they got the minor safety. The only other choice would be to fire the rifle and get a P.

So as he said, it would be a 10 second penalty either way, but you can only get one P, but you could get multiple minor safety penalties.

I could have sworn it was ok to open a shotgun and shake out shells, why not for the rifle?

Cheers,

BJT

Thanks for the clarification.

So the only legal choice in this situation is to fire the round and take the P.

Might have been addressed in the 3 pages I didn't read, but shake out the round, close the lever, pull the trigger, then stage. No "P"?

CR

Archived