SASS Wire Forum

cresent stock

Madd Mike #8595

B part of the time, that's why I made a shotgun style stock.

I think the reason so many people have troubles with it is that they're throwing up to their shoulder as fast as they can and it doesn't always hit your shoulder in the right spot. Take the speed out of it and it wouldn't be an issue. I think cresents are more stylish.

Hi Mike,

I rarely use one. My single shot rifle has one. I've never even noticed the difference in feel. So, I guess the answer is A.

Once I shot hubby's SG that had one and was too long for me. It hurt me. I think the problem was the fit not the crescent.

If I were buying a gun and could get it flat or crescent, I'd probably pick flat, especially in a SG.

Regards,

Allie Mo

All this got my nerve up.

So went and cut it today. Made it a shotgun style and shortened it about

3/4 inch.

Went out and shot a few rounds. WHY did I not do this before now.

Really like it better. I had cut most of the pionts off already.

But like it much better now. Was much easier getting it up and running.

But now I need a now butt cover.

All this got my nerve up.

So went and cut it today. Made it a shotgun style and shortened it about

3/4 inch.

Went out and shot a few rounds. WHY did I not do this before now.

Really like it better. I had cut most of the pionts off already.

But like it much better now. Was much easier getting it up and running.

But now I need a now butt cover.

Did I hear BUTT COVER ????? B) B) B)

SO, you're good with a saw? Cut it straight?? I'm still wondering if my stock is too long for me.

B for my main match rifle, but I like my crescent stock on my .45-70 Sharps. For me, I can shoulder a flat buttstock faster, but when time isn't a factor, like our long range competition, I don't mind a crescent buttstock. I do think crescent buttstocks are very elegant looking.

Did I hear BUTT COVER ????? B) B) B)

SO, you're good with a saw? Cut it straight?? I'm still wondering if my stock is too long for me.

Fairly good with a saw.

Have cut all our SG stocks before. Don't know why I kept waitting to cut this one.

Different shape I guess.

I just use masking tape to line up where I wanted to cut. That way I could move the tape

around to get it just in the right place. Then whacked it off.

Truned out pretty good.

You can try this one when I see ya next time. See if you like it before you cut yours.

I saw off 2000-2500 stocks per year........nothin' to it.........if you're set up for it. A large quantity of those are on guns that cost anywhere from$10,000 to $25,000.Some cost more. My alias says it all.

Gunstock Smith

I would have been shooting a '73 for some time if you could get them like the Renegade is now. I tried one out a while back when I was wanting to switch to .38s. Could not get a deluxe/border style stock to fit my natural point of aim. So I bought a Marlin Cowboy Comp. Now I have a Renegade and I am happy. :rolleyes:

KQ

Having read some of the reactions to the word ignorant posted here, I thought I'd post the definition.

Definition of the word Ignorant: Lacking knowledge,information, or awareness about something in particular.

Yes, some people are ignorant of the proper use of a crescent butt. But that doesn't make them stupid.

:)

The buttstock can be cut and a new plate made, and STILL LOOK GREAT. It is involved to cut the steel, polish, and blue. Or cut and cover up with leather. Not everyone is the same. So go ahead and cut away! El Mulo

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x465/el_mulo77/

D. I lengthen the standard butt stock by adding layers of leather over the cresent butt plate, taking out most of the curve, till I get a 15" length of pull, then make a leather wrap to cover.

After all it is a LONG gun :lol:

Wyatt

B for me. That's why I prefer carbines. Easier and quicker to mount. :)

FWIW. Winchester provided a SB Butt stock as an option. A SB butt on a rifle is NOT the same drop as a crescent butt, and cutting off a crescent butt does not a SG butt make. Now if it works for you and you like the feel/fit, go for it. Just saying.....

Uberti might be well served to offer the SB butt stock on their 73. I personally thought Beretta had it right with the Renegade. :)

Or you could go to a Smith that has a "Try Stock" and have it fitted to you .............

Just Saying ......

I finshed making a new butt-stock on a "Rigbys Best" double in .470 Nitro last month ,,,,, It had 5/8 inch of Cast-of , lenght of pull was 14 1/8 to the front trigger , etc ,,,,,,,,,, ......

When he bought the rifle it was for a left hander ,,, now with two stocks, it could be set-up for either ....

He said the gun is now worth $80,000 or so .... That wood for the buttstock I paid $800 for 20 years ago from my supplyer

At the time I had no need for it and mostly bought it as a favor ....

Jabez Cowboy

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

My problem with the statement is "instinctual point of aim".

I have two 73's,..under fast shooting conditions, the cresent stock never settled well, or in the same place in my shoulder. I have made both of them shotgun stocks, it is easy to do, so they both settle in the same place now and I am happy.

B

Pack

Archived