SASS Wire Forum

Your Input, please.

Flat Water Bob

I have purchased an old Lyman 45 bullet sizer and lube system and a Lyman Universal lube heater plate. On-line recommendations say "drill to fit the old Lyman 45....just stay away from the heating element." Ok, got that...but I still would like to hear from someone who has successfully mounted the pair. Did you drill and tap for a screw/bolt or just just pass a bolt through? I'd like to hear how you set it up. thanks

I have not added a heater to my lubrisizer yet, but I use soft lubes that would melt and run if a heater was used.

I may start using the hard lubes in the future, so am interested in your experiences. Please keep us advised of your results when you use yours.

Good Luck,

Duffield

You have more flexibility in mounting and easily moving the sizer if you will drill and tap the heater for machine screws, not through bolts. That makes the heater and sizer a unit that can be installed by just using the mounting holes on the corners of the heater.

There's not all THAT much force on the mounting bolts (most force is downward, and a little tipping toward the front). If the on-line instructions show you clearly where the heating element is, that is great help.

Good luck, GJ

I looked up the FAQ for the Lyman lubrisizers and heaters, which is what states that the heating element (which is a cartridge about the size of a .223 case, but longer) "goes straight in from where the cord enters the heater". So I would lay some lines out with a marker that are centered on the heating element cord, about 3/4 inch apart, going straight across the heater base. That marked off area is your "no drill" zone. Lay your #45 sizer onto the heater base and figure out good spots for the mounting holes. Drill and tap for 1/4-20 machine screw threads (or larger, if your sizer base needs bigger screws)

GJ

Archived