SASS Wire Forum

Well it was inevitable

Still, it irritates me some when people do this. I know it's not intentional. They don't really mean to be insensitive.

Got an e-mail today from Big R sporting goods advertising their annual Memorial Day Sale. I don't have a problem with Memorial Day Sales.

But they said, "Happy Memorial Day!".

Happy? Really?

Some of us have a hard time trying to keep our spirits up this time of year. Happy Memorial Day it ain't.

I need a drink now.

I lost a couple good friends in counrty.

"Happy" it aint, indeed !! :angry::FlagAm:

I'll join you all for that drink. In memory of those no longer with us.

I'll be visiting cemetaries in two states to tend to head stones and plant flowers.

Gone, ... but not forgotten. :FlagAm:

I'll join you too. I tried to serve but they couldn't take me. But my girlfriend is in Iraq right now. Talked to her this morning. I've had a lot of family and have quite a few friends serve. Just wish I could too.

I'll buy a round or two.

Let me buy you both a drink, and toast those who gave everything. How can anyone be dumb enough not to know that happy and memorial just don't go together?

Roger all that. Most of my family was military at one time or another.

Everyone turns to listen.

"Barkeep: Give us all a cold one!" Smiles all around.

Does anyone want to make a toast?

Aunt Jen

Roger all that. Most of my family was military at one time or another.

Everyone turns to listen.

"Barkeep: Give us all a cold one!" Smiles all around.

Does anyone want to make a toast?

Aunt Jen

To Absent Friends!

:FlagAm: I'll be participating in the ceremonies at Maple Hill cemetery in Huntsville on Monday.

It won't exactly be a "happy" occasion, but it will be one I'm "proud" of. :FlagAm:

Still, it irritates me some when people do this. I know it's not intentional. They don't really mean to be insensitive.

Got an e-mail today from Big R sporting goods advertising their annual Memorial Day Sale. I don't have a problem with Memorial Day Sales.

Happy? Really?

Some of us have a hard time trying to keep our spirits up this time of year. Happy Memorial Day it ain't.

I need a drink now.

I guess the happy part is because it is past.. but I know what you mean. There are a lot of people I miss, a lot of people who came home not the same as when they left, and a lot of memories. I am happy to be safe and ;protected.. and sad because I didn't help in any way at all. At least during WWII women helped out by being in the factories... I should have been a nurse or something instead at that time. Thanks for your service Utahs.. And to everyone else that makes my life possible in the USA...

Bob The Man. Thanks so much for all you do to remember our veterans. :FlagAm:

We lost our last WWII vet from Mule Camp this year and he is sorely missed. Bronco Rider was a pard to ride the river with.

McKenzie SASSVET 240 River Drifter

I wasn't in the military but had 2 friends that I lost over in VietNam. One friend got a disease over in Korea and wound up with skin cancer and died at 24. I remember these good friends and I raise my glass to them and all who gave themselves for our country. "Happy" is not part of Memorial Day.:FlagAm: Rye

To Absent Friends!

That is my choice and yes, I'll raise a glass for them!

Absent Friends

I agree, Bob. But what do you use for a salutation to mark the day?

I was wondering the same thing, then this morning I noticed my flag (it flies over my place 24/7) is getting kinda tattered. Time for a new one, which will be raised Memorial day morning with appropriate ceremony. :)

I don't really think we need one. It's not like Happy Easter of Merry Christmas or Happy Veteran's Day. There is no special salutation to mark the day when you greet folks at a memorial service or funeral. Other holidays are cause for celebration and salutation.

This one is for remembrance and reflection. I think it stands alone.

I mark the day in my heart.

Many times, its also emotional with tears, a lump in the troat, and the heart beats faster.

Thanks for all the work you have done, and continue to do for all to remember Utah. I salute you. :FlagAm: MT

"I thank you for your service to our country, and today I remember your comrades who didn't come home".

BSD :FlagAm:

Happy? Really?

I need a drink now.

Thank you for your service to our country, 3 fingers of Knob Creek on me sir!

BSD

UB, you be right. Here's a poem that hits at the Memorial Day:

For those who fought and died

For the families who have cried

Despite the politicians who (may) have lied

Give a prayer or just stand silent

Remember what their lives meant

And it's okay to shed a tear

For this land we hold so dear

The souls of soldiers past

Will forever a shadow cast

Upon this land from coast to coast

So unto them I pledge this toast

I don't have who wrote this, but it says what I wanted said.

Okb

To all those who fought and died

And those who returned forever changed

we raise our glasses high

Your sacrifices have been many

and oft times your thanks to few

you paid the price for freedom

Yet there are those of us

who won't forget

we raise our glass to you.

Grizz

taint no UB Pome, but there's my toast for Memorial Day.

A day to reflect, remember and salute our fallen and missing comrades. God Bless our country and the freedom we enjoy thanks in large part to their ultimate sacrifice. They will NOT be forgotten. :FlagAm:

NOT a "happy" day, but it can be an opportunity to gently educate someone who uses that phrase without thinking/understanding. I've almost always had a good reaction when I've engaged this way - hopefully the day meant more to them (than just a "day off") for the rest of their lives.

Harvey

I don't really think we need one. It's not like Happy Easter of Merry Christmas or Happy Veteran's Day. There is no special salutation to mark the day when you greet folks at a memorial service or funeral. Other holidays are cause for celebration and salutation.

That last part is the important part, to mark the day in our hearts.

For a toast, "To Absent Friends" works for me. And as a greeting, perhaps, something like "Have an Honorable Memorial Day" which by its very words excludes politicians of every stripe and journalists, too. Or perhaps, "Have a Memorable Memorial Day" but that seems a little too vanilla, not to mention redundant and repetitions, and...er....

Here's to Absent Friends.

May you all (Y'all) have an Honorable Memorial Day.

Archived