SASS Wire Forum

VSTOL

Subdeacon Joe

I was hoping to see the floatplane doing STOLs.

Those dune buggy tires are STC for the Cubs? :blink: I can't imagine their drag at cruise. Is it possible for a Cub to go backwards?

I was hoping to see the floatplane doing STOLs.

Those dune buggy tires are STC for the Cubs? :blink: I can't imagine their drag at cruise. Is it possible for a Cub to go backwards?

My Dad took me up in an L-19 when I was a sprout. Took an hour to get tp 9.500', at which poimt our estimated ground speed was -5mph! :blink: :blink:

Ya gotta love the tail draggers!!

I really like the Cubs (great jobs by a few here), but always wanted a more versatile Maule (shown at 1:34).

Decided I couldn't afford it and got a '59 182 instead - took a few years to convince me I couldn't afford it, either. :lol:

Neat video - thanks!

Very cool. A friend of mine retired a few years ago and is up there flying now,

My Dad took me up in an L-19 when I was a sprout. Took an hour to get tp 9.500', at which poimt our estimated ground speed was -5mph! :blink: :blink:

Very interesting since an L-19 has a climb rate of over 1,000 feet per minute and a service ceiling of over 20,000 ft.

Blackfoot

Very interesting since an L-19 has a climb rate of over 1,000 feet per minute and a service ceiling of over 20,000 ft.

Blackfoot

What can I tell ya? :lol: I was maybe 10-11 years old at the time. It was a very hot and rather windy day in the Antelope Valley when we made the fllight.:ph34r:

Blackfoot

In the real world, not really. 800-900 fpm INITIAL climb rate on a great day with thermals and 15,000 feet service ceiling if you've got A LOT of time. After 8,000 MSL climb rate drops to about 100 fpm and below. Above 12,500 ft one needs supplemental oxygen to ward off hypoxia. Personal experience...

Archived