SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA hammer needs new nickle finish

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I have a 3rd Gen Colt SAA that is in fine shape with no damage to its nickle finish. However, ever since I got this gun it has had an annoying feature that has kept me from shooting it much (well that and all the other guns I have to play with :D ), the tip of the hammer spur is sharp; when I cock it, the sharp edge makes contact with the web of my hand. It feels totally different than its mate (I have two 7.5 inch nickle 44-40s, my Sunday go to meeting guns), in fact it feels really bad. It would be a very easy thing to reshape the spur of the hammer to get rid of this, but I would need to get the hammer refinished. However, I would want it to match the rest of the gun (which would not be refinished)so I don't want to send it to just anyone.

Can anyone steer me to an outfit that can match the colt factory nickle?

Well, I didn't buy it new (it was built back in the 80s). Will Colt still service it? The last dealings I had with the Colt custom shop was back about 1990 when they kept an SAA I sent in for repair for more than a year!

Perhaps I should just put a call into Peacemaker Specialties and see what they can do.

Tell Colt the problem. They may be able to fix the "sharpness" without the need for re-nickle. If it does need re-nickle, Colt does that also. Then again, they may replace the hammer for you. My memory is a little fuzzy, but it seems that around the '89/'90 time frame Colt was having some major financial problems and everything was slowed down.

It is certainly worth a try. Peacemaker Spec. is a good 2nd choice. IMHO!

Call Colt. Ask them about the turn around time. I have had good dealing with them. An example would be that I tried to buy a a Blue Box, the cardboard one to replace one that was damaged by a pup that thinks a Colt box is the best tasting thing ever. They would not sell me one but sent me one for free.

Archived