SASS Wire Forum

Hey Gunfighters--Why do you love it?

First off, here's my story: I've shot exactly 2 CAS matches due to various scheduling conflicts, but hopefully this season I'll be able to shoot a lot more. In the first match, I used a borrowed strongside/crossdraw rig, so I pretty much had to 2-hand it. The 2nd match I had my own rig, so I tried out gunfighter. I sucked, but I was hooked.

I've shot USPSA for years, & I started out with a Glock like everybody else. I was fortunate when I lived in des Moines to have a shooting buddy who's one of the top USPSA Revolver shooters in the country. He loaned me some equipment so I could try out revolver, & that's about all I've shot in USPSA since.

I suspect I'm drawn to Gunfighter for a lot of the same reasons I was drawn to USPSA revolver. You tell people that's what you're shooting, & they look at you like you're crazy. Usually they say something supportive, but you know they're thinking "I would never do that!" Plus style points are what I always go for, and there's nothing cooler than having 2 guns A-blazin' at once.

Just curious if anybody shares my motivations, & what other reasons there are for us the kick against the norm.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Hey Pink Dickerton...

I seen folks that been members of SASS forever... shootin' traditional... dualist... or some other... FOR MANY YEARS....

Then... go out and shoot "gunfighter" for the very first time...

And all the sudden-like... them folks will come on the Wire... actin' just like kids... or the very first day they joined-up with SASS and shot a match for the very first time...

Just absolutely giddy as hell...

No sh!t....

ts

I love gunfighter,Have not done it much but was hooked the first time I tried it.I shot GF for 3 matches and my RA started hurting really bad so I stopped. I bought some new hammers to put in my guns and started back 3 weeks ago.My hands dont hurt and I am having a ball.I get lost sometime with brain fart,but Sunday I had 3 clean stages and 1 miss on 2 stages and brain fart on one and had 5 misses.All my misses were with my strong hand. I love GF and will shoot it as long as I can.

That's exactly why I was so bad my first time out. I've since gotten a set of snap caps & when my girlfriend's not home to be annoyed by it I spend the evening clicking away with my left hand. Haven't been able to try it in a match yet, but on the range I'm vastly better than I was with my weak hand. I've also found that improvement shows when I shoot my other guns as well.

Been working towards trying gunfighter. Right now I can't get my left hand to do anything usefull. Figure I will ease into it slowly. Sure does look cool though.

If shooting is such a blast for me, how could shooting two guns at one time not be even better? If I had more hands and eyes, I'd shoot more.

Doc

I love it for the same reason that I love breathing, ... ^_^

......................... been doing it since 2004, ... :)

.... one day I'll improve up to mediocre ... :blush:

.......... don't forget to practice "double duelist", for when the stage gets "un-gunfighterfriendly" ... :mellow:

I always say it's the most frustrating fun you'll ever have! Plus, it looks really cool. I don't think I can even shoot two handed any more.

Welcome to the nut house!

I tryed gunfighter one time, on 6 stages.

Had a "P" on each stage cuz I couldn't remember whar I stopped and started at !! :wacko:

First off, here's my story: I've shot exactly 2 CAS matches due to various scheduling conflicts, but hopefully this season I'll be able to shoot a lot more. In the first match, I used a borrowed strongside/crossdraw rig, so I pretty much had to 2-hand it. The 2nd match I had my own rig, so I tried out gunfighter. I sucked, but I was hooked.

I've shot USPSA for years, & I started out with a Glock like everybody else. I was fortunate when I lived in des Moines to have a shooting buddy who's one of the top USPSA Revolver shooters in the country. He loaned me some equipment so I could try out revolver, & that's about all I've shot in USPSA since.

I suspect I'm drawn to Gunfighter for a lot of the same reasons I was drawn to USPSA revolver. You tell people that's what you're shooting, & they look at you like you're crazy. Usually they say something supportive, but you know they're thinking "I would never do that!" Plus style points are what I always go for, and there's nothing cooler than having 2 guns A-blazin' at once.

Just curious if anybody shares my motivations, & what other reasons there are for us the kick against the norm.

Yup. You get style points for shooting gunfighter. And it sounds good.

I've shot gunfighter a couple of times, but I don't think I'll stick with it because it's too slow. I think I'd like to see if I can improve my speed with two hands, double strongside. I seem to be about the same with either side.

It would be easier to win something, sometime, at a match, if I shot gunfighter.... That'd be fun. but I think I like the actual shooting better with two hands.

Aunt Jen

Yup. You get style points for shooting gunfighter. And it sounds good.

I've shot gunfighter a couple of times, but I don't think I'll stick with it because it's too slow. I think I'd like to see if I can improve my speed with two hands, double strongside. I seem to be about the same with either side.

It would be easier to win something, sometime, at a match, if I shot gunfighter.... That'd be fun. but I think I like the actual shooting better with two hands.

Aunt Jen

Well, I learnt long time back dat ifin' I work at hittin' da targets, da speed will come.

Got injured at work a few years ago, and to dis date, still waitin' on da speed.

Oh well, it's still fun !!! :lol:

Because it helps me miss......

.....and that makes people laugh......

I just love to make people laugh!

:lol:

Well,

The first time I visited a SASS match I saw a cowboy, El Carrera, shooting Gunfighter. Well, I says to myself, if I start shooting I eventually want to be a Gunfighter. Shot double-duelist for 9 months, I think that must be the gestation period of a Gunfighter then switched to Gunfighter and never looked back. It's a real challenge and ranks high on style points. Especially cool when shooting black powder.Became Jedi GF #16 and may the force be with us.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

P.S. Dry fire practicing scenarios, especially ones where you have a lead change, really helps.

There are some pistol sequences that are made for Gunfighter. When I have a good run on a fun sequence I just love it. I write a lot of stages so I get to write them so I can shoot my fun sequence without forcing other categories to shoot the same as me.

I like alternating targets rather than double taps and since I use both eyes on the sights sometimes all that moves, other than my thumbs and trigger fingers, are my eyes. One of my favorites was a three target set up with 2 targets close to each other on the left and a single target a bit to the right on the stage. Instructions were to hit each target at least once with each 5 shots. Most shot 1-2-3-3-3 with each pistol. I went 1-3-2-3-1-3-2-3-1-3, never taking the right pistol off target 3.

Did it real good at our annual match last year except for the SDQ for cocking the left pistol an extra time. Realising I was done I holstered it with the hammer back and continued the stage. Found the cocked gun at the loading table and called the penalty on myself.

Black Powder Gunfighter the buck, the roar, the smoke, what else could you ask for

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Black Powder Gunfighter the buck, the roar, the smoke, what else could you ask for

Hell... accordin' to you... it ranks as number 4... on MAN'S list of greatest pleasures... behind these here....

2. Whiskey

3. Good cigar

(not joshin' on this'un)

ts

Hell... accordin' to you... it ranks as number 4... on MAN'S list of greatest pleasures... behind these here....

2. Whiskey

3. Good cigar

(not joshin' on this'un)

ts

That works I reckon :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Rocky,I bet you look so good shooting Funfighter.

I've shot Funfighter from the start. I figured if I didn't have reins in the other hand I better put a gun in it. I smile and talk the whole time om shootin!!! It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

+++++++++1.

Ever since I saw Bruce Willis in 'Last Man Standing' I always wanted to shoot two pistols at once. Shooting Gunfighter is what Rocky said, and so much more. I'd even consider giving Wild Bunch a try if they let me shoot it Gunfighter.....

Archived