SASS Wire Forum

Shrinking a felt hat

I have a Stetson El Patron that is half a size too large. I should have bought a 7 1/4 and stretched it but I bought a 7 3/8 and it's a little too big. Besides stuffing the inner hatband, is there a safe way to take it down half a size? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this works with a dry hat but with a wet hat it does.

I would just place mine on the top of a table lamp during the day or even over night and it would shrink it somewhat.

Oh yea.....you need to leave the light ON! :)

..........Widder

These are good ideas, but just a word of warning:

lightly moisten the hat and leave it on the dashboard with the windows up. that'll shrink it some.

If it is too hot your will come back to a mess of a hat that is totaly mishapen and screwed up. Trust me on this. :angry:

I don't know if this works with a dry hat but with a wet hat it does.

I would just place mine on the top of a table lamp during the day or even over night and it would shrink it somewhat.

Oh yea.....you need to leave the light ON! :)

..........Widder

If it gets too hot you may actually burn your hat and potentially start a fire. Trust me on this as well. :unsure:

There is some dark gray foam that is fairly thin that is placed behind the sweat band. The foam is large celled to help wick away moisture. It is for just that purpose. A western store that has a steamer for shaping should have the foam. The trouble with water is that it might effect the shape unless you were to wear it to dry, but then it might not retain the shrunken size when you perspire in it later. I would opt for the thin foam strip, but that is just me. Do you have a boot barn over that way.

BTW, where have you and Lady Andertramp been? or maybe I am the one missing. :D

Palindrome,

Since a Stetson El Patron is a $300.00+ reg retail, I would try to see if I can either exchange it

or contact Stetson directly. This would not be my choice of hat for the home fix.

Howdy is right though, get the foam or fill in the space somehow. Nobody will know except the wearer!

Good Luck,

Jack R.

Thanks everyone. We miss you too, Howdy. Just don't get to travel much and you haven't been to CVR recently. I'll try the foam and see if that works. Jack, you are correct which is why I am asking. I sent a note to Stetson but didn't get a reply, think I'll give them a call. Appreciate everyone's suggestions. P

If this were me, I would hope to shot some clean matches. My head would swell to fit any hat ever made!

In the meantime, I would add some thin chamis or suede between the band and the hat itself. This could be adjusted as necessary and would not eb a permanent alteration, just in case some cleean matches are coming your way. This filler could be sewn in if it worked.

I watch All Hat make and adjust custom hats and he mists them with a spray bottle then uses a hair dryer, then tweeks the inside and outside bands to fit.

Using the sweatband open it up.in the center if the sweat band (using eltrical tape (Scotch33)the tape across the sweat band'so that the tape will divivde itselg in each side and lay it. This will decrease the size of the hat You can do this as much as twice if need be.Fold the sweatbad back doen and all will be well with the world.If you don;'t like this methond, uce s single laye of foam of memory tape all away around the hat, this dcreases the size too.

Using the sweatband open it up.in the center if the sweat band (using eltrical tape (Scotch33)the tape across the sweat band'so that the tape will divivde itselg in each side and lay it. This will decrease the size of the hat You can do this as much as twice if need be.Fold the sweatbad back doen and all will be well with the world.If you don;'t like this methond, uce s single laye of foam of memory tape all away around the hat, this dcreases the size too.

I like that hat right thar --sharp

I've done the misting and dashboard trick and it works. In fact, I have one, now, that I need to shrink a bit. If it gets out of shape, a good hat is very easy to reshape. Just hold it over the spout of a boiling tea pot for a FEW seconds until the area you want to shape gets soft and reshape the way you want it.

Or, call a custom hatter like Brims & Trims or D Bar J Hats and ask their opinion. You'll get a faster reply than you will from a big hat company.

Palidrome,

It depends on what the hat is made of. If it is a wool hat, it should shrink with application of water as has been suggested. If this is a high dollar hat that has 25% or better beaver fur, it probably won't shrink much. Here are two other things to try.

1. Go to Home Depo and get some 3/4 to 1 inch wide x about 1/8 inch thick foam sticky back insulation. Cut some 3 to 4 inch strips and place them on the inside of the hat band. This will work and feel right if the hat is just a little to big. If you have to add too much "filler" the hat won't feel right.

2. Talk to a Stetson or a good local hat maker about replacing the hat band with 7 1/2 inch size.

Good Luck, Conejo

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Shrinking a felt hat

Dam... of all the luck... Palin Drone...

You shoulda known...

Shoulda shrunk it first... 'fore ya picked it up and felt of it.

(joshin', Palindrome... the fit of my hats depends on the weather. Sometimes... my hair soaks up moisture... and causes my hats to be tite. Sometimes... in arrid climates... my hats could slip over my ears. It's a known fact... without my hair... my head is the size of a medium Georgia peach.)

ts

Archived