SASS Wire Forum

Ave atque Vale, Digger

Subdeacon Joe

Brett

Wood, MG

THE US is mourning the death in Afghanistan of an Australian hero who ignored his wounds to dash to the aid of an American unit pinned down by insurgents during a 2006 battle.

Commando Sergeant Brett Wood MG was killed on Monday leading his unit from the front, as always.

A decorated hero in an elite unit, he was on foot during an operation to clear insurgents from an Afghan valley the Taliban used as a base and infiltration route when he was hit by an improvised bomb.

Sergeant Wood was the 24th Australian soldier killed in Afghanistan.

Two other commandos were seriously wounded in the blast. One man's wounds were described as "life-threatening" and the other's as serious.

They were evacuated by helicopter to a coalition hospital.

Three other Australian soldiers suffered shrapnel wounds in a separate battle hours earlier. They were expected to be discharged from hospital late yesterday.

Sergeant Wood, 32, from Sydney, leaves his wife, Elvi Wood, who said yesterday she'd lost her best friend. "On behalf of Brett's immediate family, his friends and myself - I would like the Australian public to know what a brilliant husband, son, brother, friend and soldier Brett Mathew Wood was," Mrs Wood said in a statement.

US ambassador to Canberra Jeffrey Bleich told The Australian last night Sergeant Wood's death was a great loss to the US as well as to Australia. "We honour his courageous service," he said.

"That included valiantly leading his platoon to clear enemy positions that were pinning down an infantry company of the United States Army's 10th Mountain Division in Afghanistan in July 2006.

"He fought bravely as part of our common mission to eliminate terror from the lives of the Afghan people to restore their home to them and to ensure that our own nations are safe.

"Vale, Sergeant Brett Wood."

Multas per gentes et multa per aequora vectus

advenio has miseras, frater, ad inferias,

ut te postremo donarem munere mortis

et mutam nequiquam alloquerer cinerem.

Quandoquidem fortuna mihi tete abstulit ipsum.

Heu miser indigne frater adempte mihi,

nunc tamen interea haec, prisco quae more parentum

tradita sunt tristi munere ad inferias,

accipe fraterno multum manantia fletu,

atque in perpetuum, frater, ave atque vale.

May he rest in honored glory.

To all of his family and friends, thanks for giving us such a great man and soldier. We'll grateful got his sacrifice and share your sorrow.

(If anyone knows of a way to pass this to the widow, I'd be in his/her debt. Our paper this morning that tells us we lost a local boy in the fray. I don't know his family, but I will try to find them, too.)

To all of his family and friends, thanks for giving us such a great man and soldier. We'll grateful got his sacrifice and share your sorrow.

(If anyone knows of a way to pass this to the widow, I'd be in his/her debt. Our paper this morning that tells us we lost a local boy in the fray. I don't know his family, but I will try to find them, too.)

Maybe after there are a few more comments Wobbly Jack can find a way to pass all of them on.

Stand down, Sgt. Wood. Your duty here is done. May you rest in eternal peace.

Prayers up for his family, brothers in arms and friends. May they know the value of his service to two nations in the cause of peace and freedom.

Prayers for peace and recovery to this brave soldier's family. God bless you all...

Archived