SASS Wire Forum

It's All A Matter Of Perspective

Calamity Kris

There is a large grassy area in front of my office building. In the early morning hours, you will frequently find Cottontail rabbits munching away on the lawn. This morning was no exception, however I spied a Red Tailed Hawk sitting on top of the building watching and waiting. A person walking down the sidewalk behind me paused to watch the rabbits eat. Suddenly, the hawk swooped down from the building towards a cluster of rabbits. My footsteps spooked the rabbits and they scattered just as the hawk was arriving on the scene. The person behind me exclaimed “Those poor bunnies, being hunted by the hawk. How awful”. I thought, but didn’t say aloud, “D*mn! Missed breakfast again…..”

It’s all a matter of perspective.

Probably gets his meat from a market so no little animals are killed. :rolleyes:

I've been substitute teaching full-time for several months now. For the past four weeks I've been in a 7th Grade science class while the regular teacher is on maternity leave. One of the recent assignments was for the students to draw a food chain. One student turned in a drawing of herself with and arrow coming from a Walmart store. I kid you not! At first I thought she was being a smart***, but upon questioning, she really did believe her food originated in the Walmart.

Perspective, and then there's "no clue."

Like a lot of folks we have a bird feeder in which we put bird seed for the song birds. Well, a couple of years ago we had a hawk that would hang around in our back yard (3+ acres)and occassionaly snatch a bird at that "feeder".

That kinda put a new slant on the whole "bird feeder" thing for a while.

Angus

Yeah, it's kinda funny how the bird feeder folks, who claim to love birds, do everything they can to keep sharp-shinned hawks away. Although it was OK for Pale Male to eat pigeons in New York City. Like you said, all in perspective.

Update: The person sympathetic to the plight of the bunnies brought in a baggie full of carrots this morning and was feeding them to the bunnies. They were very proud of doing so. What I don't think they realize is they are causing them to loose their fear of humans, thereby making them more of a target for the Hawk. Oh well, bunnies multiply............like rabbits. The Hawk's gotta eat too ya know...........

Where my wife used to live they had a mouse problem so she and her mom bought a Have a Heart trap. They caught one mouse and took it out into the field next to the house. Opened the door to the trap, mouse ran out, running straight for about 10 feet. ZAP! A hawk took it. After that they went to the common spring traps.

Last year a pair built a nest at the very top of one of the trees on my property. The easy grace of the way they'd soar catching the currents was really something to see.

Then watching the hatchlings taking their first tentative flights while mom & dad supervised, flying in a loose formation to guide the young'uns ... first class parenting.

I had no problems with mice either.

Update II

Hawk 1 Bunnies -1

The hawk had already made his catch as I was coming around the corner to the building. I was alone this morning so I didn't have any commentary to go with the action already in progress. He was struggling to pick it up and take off with it. I didn't stick around to watch but I'm sure he was successful.

a bunny not eaten today can be eaten tomorrow!

True, as long as the hawk got it off the ground. I can't imagine maintenance leaving the bunny carcass on the grass for the hawk. The sidewalk is a high traffic area and there would be howls of complaints.

Archived