SASS Wire Forum

Pact timers? Yay or nay?

The Dakota Clay

I had an old Pact Club timer, but due to an unfortunate accident, I'm in the market for a new shot timer (left it on top of my cab then crunched it under my back tire when leaving the range this weekend! :( ).

I'm considering a Pact 3 club timer ($140), or a Pact Mark IV Championship timer ($200). I kinda like that the Mark IV can be retrofit to perform as a chrony also (beats haulin 2 machines around), but then again, I already own a chrony, and buyin an auxillary skyscreen just adds to the cost ($70 for the Mark 7). I can't get a straight answer about what functions the Mark IV has that the Club 3 doesn't other than the chrony. The Club 3 is definitely smaller and more ergonomic,

So what's the verdict on these 2 units? I'd rather save the $, but I do AT LEAST want total time, step function/split time, RELIABLE FUNCTION, and an audible buzzer. Excel interface is nice, but not necessarily a necessity.

Or, am I way off base with the Pact units? I've heard TERRIBLE stories about their customer service, but I've also heard really good stories about their function. My own club timer worked fine for several years, it just wasn't any match for my Michelins. Is there a different unit that I should be looking at instead of the Pacts?

Thanks pards!

I can't speak to the Pact timers, but I've had 2 CED timers that I've been real pleased with. The one I'm using now is (i think) the 7000. It's the one that looks like a bulky ipod. Works great & has every function I could want.

I've had good luck out of the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro. It doesn't have a huge amount of functions, but it has all the ones that you listed as requirements. I shoot at a club that uses the Pact 3 Club Timers. I don't like the start button that you have to release in order to sound the buzzer on the Pact's. I also don't like the shape of the Pact's, It seems like no matter how I hold it I'm either covering up the buzzer or the microphone. I guess those are personal preferences, but I like Competition Electronics.

Little Wing

I have had a bad experience with PACT's customer service the 2nd time I tried to deal with a problem with my Pact timer.

I use Competition Electronics, and have never NEEDED to use their customer service.

Cheers,

FJT

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I don't care for the wire battery snap on the competition electronics. If your good with a soldering iron you can hook it back up without using their warranty, but when it comes undone the morning of the match...

I like holding the button down and releasing when the shooter is ready for the beep and have never used the Pact warranty dept.

I run two clubs. Both use the PAC Club timers. They do offer a free timer with the purchase of three.

They were purchased with a lifetime warranty. These were the older ones with the mechanical buzzer. As they broke, we sent them back for repair. This took 4 months or more.

Eventually, the lifetime warranty went away because they changed the internals. So much for lifetime.

So, we purchased (between the two clubs) 16 more with the new and louder buzzer (it is much better).

Of the 16, we had trouble with 8. Four had to be sent back. The others had, and still have, trouble with the battery contacts. They get weak, right out of the box, and loose contact with the battery. This causes the unit to reboot. It happens when the thumb presses on the battery door causing it to loose contact. We bend the contacts after each match. The only way to remove the battery is to smack it against your hand to make it pop out. Another design flaw.

I got them for our state match in hopes of eliminating any timer issues. Before the first stage was over, we had four timers down. Someting no match director wants to deal with.

Finally, the microphone pick up is on top. The timer has an ergonomic shape and the natural hold would cover the mic hole.

When they work, they are OK, but I would not buy another one until several design changes have been made and customer service picks up speed.

I don't care for the wire battery snap on the competition electronics. If your good with a soldering iron you can hook it back up without using their warranty, but when it comes undone the morning of the match...

I like holding the button down and releasing when the shooter is ready for the beep and have never used the Pact warranty dept.

Do ya take the batteries out of yer flashlight when ya aint usin it?????? :lol: Bandit

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Do ya take the batteries out of yer flashlight when ya aint usin it?????? :lol: Bandit

Ha! Where did I put that flashlight? :D I try to put in new timer batteries when it matters...

Roo,

Hold your right hand in front of you like you were getting ready to chug a Dos Equis, place the belt clip against your palm, display toward you... now nothing is covered :huh: Now feel around on your gunbelt for the knife that ya bought from Redwing... (you did give him some business didn't you ;) ) and use the tip to remove the battery. Ya could get a small piece of ribbon and place below the battery...

I've never used either warranty dept. and I have found that if ya put either one in your vest pocket then they just don't work like they are supposed to ^_^

CED 7000. I don't know about taking the battery cover off, never had to. Easily holds a charge for two day matches, about 15 on each posse, still had half a battery. I do use the wrist strap and a silicone cover. I even have the arm band type holder, but haven't tried it yet. Very pleased with this timer.

• 4 months later...

I don't see any clear consensus on which timer is better.

I am in the market to purchase one for myself and have seen today our club's Pact timer giving us fits in the middle of a match. I have used the Pocket Pro but I don't have any first hand experience on reliability.

Seems they both have their pros and cons and followers. So I guess my question is this: Do I just spend the money and take my chances?

Rev Willy Dunkum

I shoot at 3 different Clubs on a regular basis, two of which use the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro exclusively. I also own one of them. Other than having a battery go dead, I have never witnessed a single problem with them. Pact products??? I personally have had plenty of problems with their electronics, and will never ever purchase another Pact product. Customer service?? Talk about rude !!

RBK

I have 2 different shot timers in my Android phone both work great. The one even has a power factor calculator build into it as well. Both were FREE so I have no need at this time to spend over hunderd bucks for one.

The 1st is "IPSC Shot Timer (Beta) Ver 0.9.4" the second is "ShotTimer Ver 2.0" the second has the power Factor Calc.

I had an old Pact Club timer, but due to an unfortunate accident, I'm in the market for a new shot timer (left it on top of my cab then crunched it under my back tire when leaving the range this weekend! :( ...

. Is there a different unit that I should be looking at instead of the Pacts?

Thanks pards!

I have both PACT timers and have used them without problems for ?many years. The Mark IV is best for PAR time practice and use as a chronograph. The Club timer has timed thousands of stages without any thing more than a battery change.

If I were looking for something else I would consider these two:

CED makes the smallest and most capable timer around, the CED7000 look at them here: http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED7000-Shot%252dActivated-Timer.html

One of the best values and probably the most overlooked timer is the R.U. Ready, Speed Timer 3000. Fairly small and also

has what I believe to be the loudest buzzer of any timer. Look for them here: http://www.gunfighter.com/timers/index-cas.html

Olen

Archived