SASS Wire Forum

Goex Cowboy for shotgun?

Howdy. I recently acquired a couple of pounds of Goex Cowboy as part of a package powder/primer/etc. deal, and I'm wondering what I can do with it. I normally load Pyrodex RS in my shotshells, mainly because I got a bunch of it cheap a while back, but can I use the Cowboy instead? I noticed that it says on the can "Rifle", so will it work for shotgun?

I'm currently loading Badman Bullets for .45 Colt, and their lube is supposed to work with BP, so if the Cowboy won't work for shotgun, what about .45?

Thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide, folks!

Howdy. I recently acquired a couple of pounds of Goex Cowboy as part of a package powder/primer/etc. deal, and I'm wondering what I can do with it. I normally load Pyrodex RS in my shotshells, mainly because I got a bunch of it cheap a while back, but can I use the Cowboy instead? I noticed that it says on the can "Rifle", so will it work for shotgun?

I'm currently loading Badman Bullets for .45 Colt, and their lube is supposed to work with BP, so if the Cowboy won't work for shotgun, what about .45?

Cowboy (no longer being made) works fine in pistol cartridges and shotgun. It behaves like a mix of FFg and FFFg. Maybe cleans up slightly easier than the normal granulations, but not much difference.

Works well for either of your proposed applications. Been using it for four years in those exact shells.

Good luck, GJ

What G. J. said use about 50grs and let 'er buck.

I have been using it since it came out and will miss it.

Ol' #4

Thanks, gents. Looks like my more expensive boom fuel will be around for a while longer! Cowboy it is!

That be my choice, but maybe a tad more than Ol #4's load.

For your information, the Goex Cowboy is a mix of 2F and 3F with a very small amount of 4F. I have the exact screen results but they are not needed here. All BP is the same with nothing but grain size changing the way it works. BP burns from the outside in and the larger the grain the slower the burn. 2F is your all around size but firing 3F in it's place is just going to give you more speed and recoil. I mix a pound of 2F and a pound of 3F to load some SASS loads. You just never want to use 4F for nothing but the priming of the pan on a flinter.

Archived