SASS Wire Forum

take apart and reassemble instructions for Stoeger

My new Storger miss fires one the left barrel about 15% of the time.

I sent it back and they fixed it (ha ha) it still miss fires.

So I think I want to tear it down and have a look.

Someone on here talked about the channel that one of the pins slide back ond forth

needs some work. I am hopeing that is what I find.

Also what tools and pins do I need?

Thanks

Reuben

Just go ahead and buy the new firing pins from longhunter as you will need them eventually anyway. The original pins are soft and will mushroom and become worthless. Also purchase the bushing wrench from longhunter. Worth every dime it costs.

RBK

I should have been more specific. I have installed the Long Hunter firing pins.

I have taken the stock off and cleaned the best I can.

Now I want to strip it down completly.

I don't see what I need in Mauraders web sight.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reuben

Reuben, that might have been one my posts about the channels. If you'll be at Powder Creek this weekend, I can take a look and tell you what I did to mine.

In the meantime, here's my original post:

++++++++++++

I wrestled with this problem off and on for a year. All of the solutions offered here have merit. I've tried them all and was able to reduce the frequency of the problem, but none really solved it. Here's what finally worked for me:

Like you, it was the left barrel that misfired on the first shot but the second (right) barrel fired, so I was sure it wasn't the latch opening under recoil. It should be noted that I switched my triggers some time ago, so the left side is the first barrel to fire. I also found the original firing pins to be in good shape, but replaced them anyway.

During the year, I had taken the gun completely apart several times, smoothed any obvious burrs and cleaned every spec of crud out of every crevice and hole in the receiver. That helped only briefly. I accidentally discovered during a shoot that if I reopened the gun with a bit of force and closed it up after a misfire, it would work fine. When I got home, I slowly opened the gun to listen when the hammers cocked and noted the position of the barrel. I found that the left hammer would click as if cocking, but not with the same solid click of the other barrel. If I used more force in opening the barrel, the left hammer would click the same as the right hammer. This would happen only at the very limit of the barrels' opening, long after the other hammer cocked.

So I took the butt stock off to watch and listen to the internals when opening the gun. I saw that when I heard the light click on the left, the hammer was cocked, but not as fully as the right. This seemed to explain the light primer strikes and misfires. When opening the gun with a bit of force, the left hammer cocked fully and matched the position of the right hammer.

I took it completely apart again, got it surgically clean, oiled and started reassembly. This time I noticed the cocking pin (activated by the cocking levers in the forearm) didn't drop into its channel as easily as the other. I had noticed this on other reassemblies, but didn't think it significant. This time I pursued it and found the channel on that side hadn't been machined as cleanly as the other, as it had a small bump partway down channel (as viewed from the forearm side). Looked like someone had started to drill the channel, pulled the bit out and started over. I used a small round file to remove the bump until the cocking pin slid in and out as easily as the other.

The gun has worked perfectly since, so it appears the problem was that bit of binding on the cocking pin. Unlike before, both hammers fully cock almost simultaneously, and well before the opening limit of the barrel has been reached.

NOTE: If you do dissemble the internals, be sure to keep parts from the left and right sides segregated and reassemble on the same side they came from. On my gun, the cocking levers in the forearm are different lengths, as are the cocking pins when measured with calipers. There is no unusual wear that I can see. But If you mix the parts and say, put the right cocking pin on the left side, you may find that one side doesn't cock at all. Took some head scratching and a big dope slap before I realized what had happened.

Archived