SASS Wire Forum

Chamfering chambers on a double?

Buckshot Frank

a 1" grinding ball available wherever air tools or autobody supplies are sold, and a bit of 400 or 600 wet or dry paper. The grinding ball will be in the "Campbell Hausfeld" stuff at Lowes, a big walmart, or most good hardware stores. Chuck the ball in a LOW SPEED cordless drill and GO EASY on each chamber mouth for about 2 or 3 seconds. Ya wanna take a bit off the edges of the steps, but ya gotta remember that step where the shell rim rests is where the shell headspaces. Too much removed the shells will go too deep and the gun won't fire. Now cut a quarter-sized circle of the 400 or 600 paper (also available in autobody stuff at the same places), drape it over the nose of the grinding ball and polish up your work. Make sure the paper doesn't slip off, as you don't wanna grind too much.

it's gonna end up like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/010.jpg

Now put the grinding ball and paper in your gun cart, and when a pard says "how do I...?", you can lend it to him.....

I used a Dremel on my Browning, followed by some hand filing with a a fine micro file. I endorse Adirondack Jack's admonition to GO SLOW. You can't be too careful with this. You want to make a slope down to the lip that catches the rim of the shell--BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO CUT INTO THAT LIP! You may want to some fine grit sandpaper polishing when you have the bevel in place, to smooth it up. I have a friend, Marshall Troop, who has one he got from Evil Roy--obviously done by machine, not hand work, but I don't know what tool was used.

Cassalong Hopidyu

Some folks DO cut the lip away, the shell only rests on the extractor step...don't recommend it, but it does work with the low power stuff we shoot.

The chamfering is to ease the loading of the shells, not the dumping of them. Most of those I see around here are chamfered like venturis (I see no line), though I would hesitate to go that far.

This one was done 12 years ago and is still shot today. I was tha second one I know of. It was done by hand, with a grinding ball.

RRR

http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy314/RAGINRAY/shotgun/?action=view&current=012.jpg[/img]

Archived