SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of Classic Wings...

Quite a few threads lately about classic planes, particularly those still flying.

The folks:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_aircraft.htm

restore and fly some of the most impressive classic planes I've seen. Great antique car collection, too.

Site includes a schedule for appearances, and rides are available on most.

WWII vets get the ground tour for free.

LL

Howdy Loophole

That's where I took the ride in the T-6 a couple of years ago. That day they had the Stearman and the T-6 taking people up for rides. I was originally planning on going up in the Stearman, but they talked me into going up in the T-6 instead. Glad I did. As soon as we cleared the runway, the pilot asked me if I wanted to do a high speed pass over the crowd. Sure says I. The airspeed indicator registered 180 mph as we skimmed over the crowd. Then he asked me where I lived and I told him so we headed up Route 495 towards home. He told me to take the stick, and I did. I was in the back seat, so I didn't have much of a view forward, but I just kept peering down to each side and kept the highway under us.

I have never been at the controls of a plane before, but this one seemed to fly itself, it needed no help from me. I did have to keep a slight bit of forward pressure on the stick because the plane wanted to climb if I kept the stick in a neutral position. We flew over my neighborhood, but I couldn't see a thing, too many trees. Then we flew over the Merrimack and over Lowell. I circled over the Merrimack. The pilot had been asking me if I wanted him to do any aerobatics, but I was a little bit reluctant. I had just had a big breakfast and didn't want to make a mess of the cockpit. Finally, I agreed. He took the stick and we headed over a local reservoir. He pointed the nose down a little bit to pick up some speed, and then he did a barrel roll. Boy Howdy was it cool. The whole world spun around and I was glued into the seat.

My time was almost up by then, so we headed back to the runway. We did one more high speed pass over the crowd before we landed. I sure do not regret paying for that ride. Sometimes you have to jump in with both feet or you may regret it later.

There is only a grass strip at the Stowe property, the B25, B17 and B24 do not fly out of there, but they tour all over the country. I will be watching their schedule, because I would love to go up in the B17.

We have a fine private collection of WW2 aircraft at Cavanaugh Museum of Flight. It is also home to 2 of the CAF's Bombers, Ol 927(B24A), and "FIFI" (B29). The Museum is located at the Addison Airport in Addison, Tx.

Archived