SASS Wire Forum

Wax bullets,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Anybody using wax bullets in c&b pistols for practice? How, what, where and any other info would be appreciated. I recently gave a Pietta nipple to a non shooting machinist friend who says he can make a solid brass version for dry fire. Not expecting this project to go as well as he does, I think it will be more time consuming than he thinks.

Howdy Bob, I'm trying to do that, been unsucessful so far. Using the wax bullets from C&R and they are great fun from my 45lc's using just pistol primers. They are about like a pellet pistol noise wise. In the cap-n-balls, just with a cap, Nothing, with a cap and about 3grains of Pyrodex RS 1 of 10 came out the barrel, the rest hung up anywhere between the forcing cone and the muzzle on 4 3/4" 1858 Uberti. Now this is not with the wax they advertise for cap-n-ball pistols sized at .451 but the wax I got for the 45lc though it sure pushes nice into the cylinders. I will continue to try with increasing powder charges, but one chamber at a time. Seems like it took all afternoon yesterday to unload the 3grn loads. In my defense the 3grns in the LC are a hoot to shoot. Good Luck, Kent Hitnuttin

to use small charges and wax ya'd need a tight wad behind yer wax to help ya get a good burn or yer gonna get em stuck in the barrel The balancing act would be enough pop to get em to work, without so much they become harmful projectiles.

To do 'cap only" wax loads would require a special nipple. With cartridges using just primers we open up flash holes. With a nipple thus opened, ya might have only a thin stem left that might break or dub over easily....

Bob, After a little more experimenting, 6grns RS, C&R 45lc wax, No Joy! 6grns RS C&R wax cut in half, No Joy! Now before I got the wax bullets in I was making my own and they are not as hard as the storebought, so just for kicks and giggles I melted down a few store bought and added an equal amount of my wax and pored about 1/2 thickness of C&R's. 6 grns Pyrodex RS, .455 diameter x .125 nitro card and a homemade .449 diameter x .359 length wax bullet, good to go! Also shot fine without nitro card. I would check with the folks that makes them, they may have a different formula for the C&B pistols, that's the only reason I could figure why the different designation. I can start dropping the powder charge a little at a time but fully believe that I will get back down to 3 grns. Good Luck, Kent Hitnuttin

Archived