SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Black Powder question

Neuse Rivers

Since I can't afford to buy different caliber guns, I figured I'd try to use my .38's. My rifle won't reliably feed .357 magnums, but standard length .38's are perfect.

So my question is: Will .38's filled with a 1.3cc dipper of Goex 2F and then seated (no filler - no room) meet the BP smoke requirement?

I also have a jar of Triple 7 2F, would that make more or less smoke then the Goex?

:FlagAm::FlagAm:

Minimum bp requirement is 1 cc.

You are good to go.

I am currently using 1cc for my Honey's pistol loads with a 105 gr bullet. I was using grits as a filler but have switched to using fiber wads from Circlefly. Her Marlin does not like shorter length bullets,they need to be 357 lenght. You may find that using the same amount of 777 will be shall I say hotter than the same amount of Goex.If you are going to use a BP sub I have found APP 3f works real well especially if you are not using BP lubed bullets.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

:FlagAm::FlagAm:

You may find that using the same amount of 777 will be shall I say hotter than the same amount of Goex.Sgt H :FlagAm:

Yep - 777 is definitely a little peppier.

You don't want to fill the case to the brim and mash it down.

It works best when it's right at the base of the bullet to a maximum compression of 1/16" to 1/8".

Yes, you'll make plenty of smoke with 38's. 777 is 15% hotter than BP but as for smoke, it depends on a few more factors than just amount of powder. IMO 777 is a little smokier than BP.

Since I can't afford to buy different caliber guns, I figured I'd try to use my .38's. My rifle won't reliably feed .357 magnums, but standard length .38's are perfect.

So my question is: Will .38's filled with a 1.3cc dipper of Goex 2F and then seated (no filler - no room) meet the BP smoke requirement?

I also have a jar of Triple 7 2F, would that make more or less smoke then the Goex?

If you use real black powder and not the fake subs you will also have fire and sparks to go with that smoke you want. None of the subs deliver this and you may say that you are a Black Powder shooter and be correct about it. Just make sure that you choose a bullet that has a BP lube so that your clean up will be easy.If you cast the Lyman 358665 will work with a good lube. I used them in the past.

APP FFFg 1.3cc (compresses about 1/16")

125-140 grain bullet, regular lube is recommended over special BP lube

1150 fps in 20" barrel, probably around 750 fps in 4.5" barrel

WSP primer, magnnum not required

Good tight crimp.

Clean, consistent and easy.

Cleans well with moose milk or vinegar-based Windex.

Neuse, if you plan to shoot Triple Seven, be best for you to go to Hodgdon's website and read up how to load this powder: both the Loading Notes and Data

So folks have not had problems using 777 without BP lube?

You will have trouble if you do use BP Lube.

777 and APP make a tarry mess when used with BP type lubes. Better off with no lube with the subs.

Of course, and this is just my opinion, using subs instead of BP is kinda like kissin' yer sister. :unsure::lol:

A Big Huge +1 For BULL SKINNER!!!! REAL BLACK IS THE WAY.

Archived