SASS Wire Forum

Unique powder under a 180 gr bullet

Two Spurs

I've been running Titegroup for my 45 loads with a 180 grain bullet (my favorite) for the past three years. The powder weight I'm using is putting out light but dirty loads (love a tumbler ^_^ )and they run really good.

I've also got a bunch of Unique powder that needs to be used up but most data that I see in misc shooting fourms utilize a 250 gr bullet. Anyone running the lighter bullet/Unique combo that would like to pm me the recipe? (Yes I know about "use the official minimums in the loading data book)

Thanks.

Guest diablo slim shootist

I've been running Titegroup for my 45 loads with a 180 grain bullet (my favorite) for the past three years. The powder weight I'm using is putting out light but dirty loads (love a tumbler ^_^ )and they run really good.

I've also got a bunch of Unique powder that needs to be used up but most data that I see in misc shooting fourms utilize a 250 gr bullet. Anyone running the lighter bullet/Unique combo that would like to pm me the recipe? (Yes I know about "use the official minimums in the loading data book)

Thanks.

Unique does not down load well in 45s IMHO

I use American Select with good results

Your mileage may vary

Two Spurs,

Light bullets at low velocities in 45LC using medium burning rate powders, which result in low chanber pressures, will result in excessive blowback and a very dirty powder burn. Unique simply isn't the powder to get you the desired cleanliness you are seeking.

PM sent.

RBK

Unique is not the powder for light Cowboy loads. Alliant lists a 200gr bullet and generally if you're using a bullet within 20 grains or so you can use that data (but a cautious loader always starts low and works up) All of the loads listed in my loading manuals show a load with 200gr bullets and with unique powder the starting loads give 900-1000fps which is probably more than you want.

Two Spurs:

ifn you got ALOT of Unique and are deadset to use it w/180 grainers, AND ifn your using these in your PISTOLS, you might want to consider contacting Adirondack Jack about proper load info using the Cowboy .45 Special case.

Although I don't use Unique, I'm a diehard fan of that C45S case and I use it exclusively in my Ruger .45's.

Good luck.

..........Widder

check out Steve's Reloading pages' and I'd agree Unique is not the powder for lite loads, might look into Bullseye.

Well, you really won't find Bullseye to be very good for .45 Colt loads, either. NONE of the major manuals print any BE loads that are usefull to Cowboy shooters.

Several good powders have been suggested, including Clays, Titegroup, Trail Boss, American Select. I'd add RedDot and even 700X (although it meters very poorly).

Burn that Unique in heavier loads or shotgun shells.

Just because you have, or bought, or were given a ton of a particular powder does not guarantee there is a Cowboy loading that can use it.

Good luck, GJ

Too bad we don't live closer to each other. I like Unique in 45ACP and 44 Special loads , and would do some trading. Other pards are right , doesn't do well with light bullets or light loading density.

Good luck , Rex :D

Thanks.

I loaded 6.5 gr of Unique with a 205 gr RNFP for my pistols for many years. Only trouble I had was in cold weather when some of the rounds sounded and acted like really lite loads, if I warmed them they shot fine. Switched to 5 gr Titegroup last year. Hope this helps.

Archived