SASS Wire Forum

Just bought a brand new Colt

To make a long story short, today, I purchased a brand new Colt SAA, .32-20, 5-1/2" bbl.

And as I read over page one of the owners manual, I started to laugh, and I have not yet stopped...

To quote it...

THIS IS A COLLECTOR'S FIREARM

WARNING: THIS REVOLVER HAS BEEN RECREATED FROM A HISTORIC DESIGN AND IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO HANDLE WHEN LOADED.

Collectors of fine firearms, such as this Colt revolver, should be aware that:

1. Loading and unloading the firearm will show wear and lead to loss of collector value

2. Excessive handling will lead to premature wear and cause loss of value.

3. Firing this revolver will cause immediate extreme loss of collector's value.

CAUTION: IF YOU HAVE READ THE WARNING ABOVE, AND ACCEPT THE LOSS OF COLLECTOR'S CALUE AND THE RISK OF DANGER FROM LOADING THIS REVOLVER USE THE INFORMATION IN THE REST OF THIS MANUAL TO MINIMIZE THE RISK OF INJURY, DEATH OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY.

I find this bizzare. It could just as easily say, "You are very lucky, you know own a great gun that we made. Please don't shoot it."

Silly me, I thought guns were made to be shot. :)

1. Loading and unloading the firearm will show wear and lead to loss of collector value

2. Excessive handling will lead to premature wear and cause loss of value.

You should not only NOT shoot it, but don't touch it or load it. Call and ask if they can send you one that you can use.

JAG

What are they trying to tell you?.....if you shoot your new COLT, it will instantaneously become less valuable than a Ruger?

Now that is funny! :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Hey, at least they didn't feel the need to stamp the warning right on the barrel like ruger does. I guess Colt just does not make guns for "responsible gun owners." (whoever thought that tag like up is an idiot)

I laughed my you know what off too! I proudly shot mine yesterday at a match, they work great. Great guns are mean't to be used. :FlagAm:

I'm not a FFL and have owned a number of NIB & used Colt SAA's, I love Colts. I've never lost more n' 10% on any Colt SAA that I bought NIB and shot. The Colts that I have bought used then shot and then sold I have broken even. If you do your homework, IMHO ever Colt is solid investment.

Roy

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

If you don't shoot that thing... ten years from now you might want to... and find out that pistola ain't got no insides in it.

ts

Saves a lot on warranty work if no one shoots them. None of us will live long enough for any current production Colt to appreciate much (if any) beyond its original price.

Don't shoot it...

Don't touch it...

In fact, don't even look at it!!!

You can't be too safe, you know.

Mr. Pettifogger, I disagree. Look at Model 94 values when Winchester stopped making them. They used to be in every used rack for $175; now they start around $350 for a beater. If Colt stopped producing today the resell prices (not values) would double quickly.

My favorite line from a manual is the .444 Marlin and .45-70 Last Defense Derringers that were common about 10 years ago. The manual stated:

- The purpose of this gun is as a last ditch defense against large predators like bears and large cats.

- We do not recommend the firing of this weapon due to severe recoil and potential harm to the shooter.

- If this weapon is to be fired, we recommend the shooter:

- wear a motorcycle helmet with full chin protection

- fire the weapon with the storng hand with the weak hand placed over the strong hand's wrist pushing down with all possible force

- the shooter to wear the best available eye protection AND close their eyes while firing the weapon

- the shooter to wait until the predator is close enough to place the muzzle against soft body tissue before firing

This seems to be tongue-in-cheek, but it sounded like the manuafacturer made something more than reasonable/practical/safe but it was something that sold well.

Mr. Pettifogger, I disagree. Look at Model 94 values when Winchester stopped making them. They used to be in every used rack for $175; now they start around $350 for a beater. If Colt stopped producing today the resell prices (not values) would double quickly.

IF a frog had wings it wouldn't have a sore tail. :lol:

I remember going to a gun show shortly after getting into CAS and spied a Colt SAA in a box on one of the tables..As I reached for it the guy sitting behind the the table went into sort of a spasm and blurted "Don't touch it!!" :blink:

I asked was it for display only? "No, it's for sale" he snapped, "But it's never been fired, or even turned." :huh:

I asked him what good was it then? He went into the whole spiel about collectability, and as soon as the cylinder gets turned it's no longer worth as much..I then asked him what caliber it was, and he said .38 special..I told him iffn' it didn't have a caliber that started with a four I wasn't interested anyway, and went on my way.. :rolleyes:

I now own five Colt SAA's, all .45's, four late 3rd gens. with 5 1/2 barrels..and a 2nd gen. Buntline..And every one of them's been shot..Repeatedly!

I remember the first time I read that bit in my owner's manuel when I got my first brace of Colts..I chuckled at the warning, stuck it back in the box, took my new unturned, unfired, collector's pistolas out in the backyard, and shot the dickens out of them! :lol:

And enjoyed every second of it! ^_^

I love 'em..They're all I shoot..But just like guitars are meant to be played, Colt pistolas are meant to be shot..Just wouldn't seem right to hide 'em in a box.. :o

Saves a lot on warranty work if no one shoots them. None of us will live long enough for any current production Colt to appreciate much (if any) beyond its original price.

I am not so sure of that.

Generally speaking, a new SAA seems to be going for $1200.00, based on what I have seen in stores, online, etc.

Mine was $1499.00, because I live in Massachusetts, and under normal circumstancs, new SAA's can not be sold in this state, since they are not considered to be a "safe" design by state's Attorney General. As such, you can expect to pay 2 to 5 hundred dollars more for a USED Colt in this state than anywhere else in the country. Again, this is based on what I have seen in the stores, online, etc.

For me to find a brand new unturned 3rd generation Colt, (it's even got the removable cylinder bushing) that is "Mass Compliant" is all but unheard of. The store owner explained to me the fluke of how it became compliant, and even showed me the letter that proves it. In any event, even new Colts are going up in price, depending on the circumstances.

And yes, I will shoot this thing first chance I get. Even if it's in the basement.

Mildly off-topic, but sort of on, too: I'm getting a Colt Tier III Anniversary (ANVIII) 1911 for WB. The Tier III is the less-expensive of the two "production" anniversary models (I think the one and only Tier I is supposed to be raffled or auctioned by the NRA). It has no special embellishments other than a couple of special roll stamps, and is still affordable. I won't have a problem at all, shooting it. The Tier II however, is about half-covered in gold, and is maybe 3/4 engraved, for twice the price. No way would I want to shoot the more expensive model, but why pay $2k for a gun you can't shoot? Who's going to buy those things?

Colt has been in business for over 150 years, I think they know what they're doing. Don't forget there are thousands of Colt collectors out there who never shoot 'em. So Colt is preserving that nitch. I read that as sayin if ya wanna shoot it then yer gonna lose some value. Ya may only lose 10-20% but you won't get what ya paid for it UNLESS ya keep it fer 30-40 years!:)

Howdy

Every gun manufacturer that I know of test fires their products at the factory. S&W does, Ruger does, I've watched them do it at Remington. I would be very surprised if Colt didn't.

So much for 'unfired and unturned'.

As far as buying guns as investments, I agree with Pettifogger. You will do better in the stock market than buying guns for investments. The only reason the Winchesters suddenly went up in price was the simple law of supply and demand. Supply got curtailed, so the price went up.

Hey HK, where did you find it? PM me if you don't want to broadcast it.

Much of all that is about two words: Product liability....Most guns folks know that old style single actions will go off if all six chambers are loaded and it drops on the hammer, it's why many cowboys suppossedly only carried five. Colts are too expensive and worth every penny to folks that like 'em. Rugers are a lot stronger and more affordable, so take your pick. I sold the only gun I ever had that was new unturned for that very reason....

Archived