SASS Wire Forum

1873 pin fell out

Got home from a shoot today and was wipin down my Short stroked and slickumd up 73. went to close it and it closed hard., thought I had closed it on the oil rag. Noticed a small pin fall on the floor, it is 3/8" long and 1/16" diameter. the gun still functions but extracts rough. Thought I'd ask for opinions before I take it apart.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Bood Washed

1/16 seems a little small for a link pin (105, 106) , but if larger that is very possible.

73 Parts Diagram

Other possible are the the firing pin stop pin (104) that holds the firing pin extension to the bolt.

The size is about right for the extractor pin (108), but that should be obvious as the extractor would probably fall out.

Yep, what DJ said. Sounds like an older 73 (more than 2 yars old), and that firing pin extension connecting pin has fallen out. That would leave the FP extension rod unable to cycle with the bolt when the lever is run. Gotta put that pin back in BEFORE it is safe to shoot! A 1/16 drill bit (the unfluted part) can make a fine replacement.

GJ

If it is a older rifle, it could have the lever cams held in place with a pin....May look there ? Don't see how the FP ext pin could fall out without taking the side plates off unless it broke in two. How old is the rifle ? ................ Mink..........

Archived