SASS Wire Forum

Armed Forces Day

Utah Bob #35998

Not as big a deal as it was when I was a boy. Times change I reckon.

We have 3 days honoring the military as I see it.

Memorial Day is for remembrance.

Veteran's Day if for recognition.

Armed Forces Day is for thanks giving.

I would like to say thanks to all you who are serving in the Guard, Reserve, or Active military. Thank you for answering the call. Thank you for standing tall. Thank you for standing at the door when the wolf howls.

My hat is off and my cup's raised to the Armed Forces of the United States. You make me proud. :FlagAm:

My dad served in WWII, My brother during the cold war and I did my hitch in Vietnam. We all proudly served. The flag still has my respect and I still get a chill when they play the National Anthemn. To all that served I say: WELCOME HOME and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

KK

We did our first public display at Joint Base Lewis/McChord’s Armed Forces Day event on Saturday, which went over very well. We were able to get several vehicles from that era for a background for our display. Five people showed in uniform, but only three had the gear and weapons. One guy had a modular tent from the 80s, which became our HQ for the day. Here are a few photos:

Our original tent and some of the vehicles

Myself and Ed with an Iraqi Type 59 tank

All of the armed members of the group

I have to ask - how long does it take to set up that tent? It looks like it would take a platoon and a few hours.

It's one of them pre-fab pop-up suckers from the mid 80s, took us all of 5 minutes max, and that was making sure we didn't bend the poles.

It's one of them pre-fab pop-up suckers from the mid 80s, took us all of 5 minutes max, and that was making sure we didn't bend the poles.

Not bad. About what it takes to set up a wall or wedge tent then. But a WHOLE lot lighter.

I've watched people struggle with those "pop-ups" for half an hour or more.

Archived