SASS Wire Forum

Silverado movie trivia

Mack Hacker, #60477

The movie Silerado was pretty vague as to its actual time setting.

What approximate year would you place it and why?

This is a loaded question based on something that I observed yesterday while watching it for the (more than I will admit) time. :unsure:

The movie Silerado was pretty vague as to its actual time setting.

What approximate year would you place it and why?

This is a loaded question based on something that I observed yesterday while watching it for the (more than I will admit) time. :unsure:

Well, from a weapons standpoint there was one 1860 Henry, then a Winchester with the front stock taken off to look like a Henry :wacko: I don't recall any black powder or conversion pistols, so maybe Sheriff Langston's weapon (a Webley I believe) might give the closest year.

BSD

When Pedan (Kevin Kline) tries to buy a gun in the gun store, several Single Action Armies are seen in the glass case, but one of the guns is a Remington 1875. and Colt Model 1878 shotguns are seen used by several extras in the film.

so has to be after 1878

Rafe :FlagAm:

Well, from a weapons standpoint there was one 1860 Henry, then a Winchester with the front stock taken off to look like a Henry :wacko: I don't recall any black powder or conversion pistols, so maybe Sheriff Langston's weapon (a Webley I believe) might give the closest year.

BSD

There were also several 73's and a lot of SAA's.

But, there was one very obscure clue that contradicted all the firearm related evidence and placed the time at approximately 1849.

Did anybody see it??

:FlagAm: Sir, first of I would like to state that the following reflects NO negative feelings towards you personally. In regards to your post, in my mind, who cares. This is an entertaining movie that is fun to watch. Last weekend, participating in the AZ BP Championship, this movie was played over the tele as was others. The story line is decent, the acting above average and the musical score is better than most produced recently. This is an entertaining flick and nothing more. Historical accuracy was not on the requirement list for the production. Case in point, we all are aware that the character Mr. Glover plays , uses two rifles, his and his fathers. Both are to be Henry Rifles. The engraved version that belonged to his father was a Henry, his example is a de-wooded '66. The same situation occurs in the movie, Last Stand at Saber River. Tom Selleck shoots two different rifles, one engraved and one not. Where did he retrieve one to use and then the other? Again, an entertaining movie that never claimed to be historically accurate or true to form.

In my mind, the time frame was the American West, that time we embody and hold true. The movies are what they are, some better than others, most are entertaining. Movies are just that, Movies. Accept them for what they are and what they are intended to be. An escape for the common man.

If the fur needs to fly, so be it,

CHAS B.

"Plot Summary for
 Silverado (1985) More at IMDbPro »

In 1880, four men travel together to the city of Silverado. They come across with many dangers before they finally engage the "bad guys" and bring peace and equality back to the city. Written by Chris Makrozahopoulos <makzax@hotmail.com"

Pre California Gold Rush. Wagon train going West....Oregon Terr. No trains. What???? inquiring minds gotta know. Just sayin'

Big Jake

The old west as written by the Greek!

400 bc to 1885 ad?

Is that it?

Certainly didn't anticipate ruffling any feathers with this one, but it always happens.

In the early part of the movie, there is a scene at the cavalry fort. At the end of the fort sequence, there is a shot where Tyree is being released. In the background, there is a door with a name painted over it. The name over the door is Capt G B McClellan. G. B. McClellan was General George B McClellan by the time of the War of Northern Aggression. He was, however, a Capt in 1949 when he participated in an expedition to map the upper reaches of the Red River. That would have put him in the general area of Silverado.

If it's not the same guy, it is a hell of a coincidence and I just wonder why it was there.

BSD

Actually Sheriff Langston's revolver was an Enfield MKII.

As far as Hollywood is concerned there is only one time period The Old West Time Period. They aren't sure when it was but they know it when they see it. :lol:

Certainly didn't anticipate ruffling any feathers with this one, but it always happens.

In the early part of the movie, there is a scene at the cavalry fort. At the end of the fort sequence, there is a shot where Tyree is being released. In the background, there is a door with a name painted over it. The name over the door is Capt G B McClellan. G. B. McClellan was General George B McClellan by the time of the War of Northern Aggression. He was, however, a Capt in 1949 when he participated in an expedition to map the upper reaches of the Red River. That would have put him in the general area of Silverado.

If it's not the same guy, it is a hell of a coincidence and I just wonder why it was there.

Gillian Borregard McClellan. Different guy. You are actually so bored you are reading the door signs in the background? Hope the weather gets better so you can get out and do some shooting.:lol::lol:

:FlagAm: Case in point, we all are aware that the character Mr. Glover plays , uses two rifles, his and his fathers. Both are to be Henry Rifles. The engraved version that belonged to his father was a Henry, his example is a de-wooded '66. CHAS B.

At no time does Mal say that his rifle is a Henry. He refers to his father's rifle as one, but not his own. Though it's not told in the story, he may have removed the forearm from his '66 because he wanted it to be like his father's rifle, and it didn't have one. OR his may simply have been broken at one time.

:FlagAm: Sir, first of I would like to state that the following reflects NO negative feelings towards you personally. In regards to your post, in my mind, who cares. This is an entertaining movie that is fun to watch. Last weekend, participating in the AZ BP Championship, this movie was played over the tele as was others. The story line is decent, the acting above average and the musical score is better than most produced recently. This is an entertaining flick and nothing more. Historical accuracy was not on the requirement list for the production. Case in point, we all are aware that the character Mr. Glover plays , uses two rifles, his and his fathers. Both are to be Henry Rifles. The engraved version that belonged to his father was a Henry, his example is a de-wooded '66. The same situation occurs in the movie, Last Stand at Saber River. Tom Selleck shoots two different rifles, one engraved and one not. Where did he retrieve one to use and then the other? Again, an entertaining movie that never claimed to be historically accurate or true to form.

In my mind, the time frame was the American West, that time we embody and hold true. The movies are what they are, some better than others, most are entertaining. Movies are just that, Movies. Accept them for what they are and what they are intended to be. An escape for the common man.

If the fur needs to fly, so be it,

CHAS B.

Sir, first of I would like to state that the following reflects NO negative feelings towards you personally.

Did ya ever notice how many posts draw someone in who wants to make a very long winded point that they don't care, and think you shouldn't either?

Why do folks go to the trouble to do that instead of hitting the back button and just moving on?

Ah well -

This was a fun film, a great way to roll up every western cliche into one long film, and have fun doing it.

It was a masterpiece in putting almost every stereotype western scene into one movie - and it's just fun.

Sometimes I will sit with a few friends and instead of a single malt, we'll have a blended . . and maybe

even discuss the blend and it's traits. I'm sure the perfectionist would argue it's a blend, who cares,

but the rest of us just sip, and chat, and enjoy ourselves and our little self indulgent exercise . . . .

For me Silverado and Blazing Saddles are classic, and I can't get tired of them.

YMMV.

Shadow Catcher

Actually Sheriff Langston's revolver was an Enfield MKII.

Thanks! Was it a DA, and what would the caliber have been?

BSD

At no time does Mal say that his rifle is a Henry. He refers to his father's rifle as one, but not his own. Though it's not told in the story, he may have removed the forearm from his '66 because he wanted it to be like his father's rifle, and it didn't have one. OR his may simply have been broken at one time.

From the script.

The two cowboys are taken aback. They look to each other for

guidance.

MAL

If I find any cattle on our land

after tomorrow, I'm going to start

carving them into steaks. And believe

me, that's one thing I know about.

SCRUFFY

Killing cattle is a hanging offense

in these parts. If we shot you down

right now, we'd be within our rights.

MAL

Mister, you ever seen what a Henry

rifle can do in the hands of someone

who knows how to use it?

Thanks! Was it a DA, and what would the caliber have been?

BSD

It is a single/double action in .476 caliber. Begining about 1880 it became the British military side arm. Starting in 1882 Northwest Mounted police, were issued them and kept them until the 1911 when they were replaced by the Colt New Service in .45 Colt.

Howdy Boys

It's just a movie. Any attempts to try and get historical accuracy out of it are doomed to failure. It is great fun, and I like watching it, but the bottom line is it's just a movie. According to IMDB it takes place in 1880.

My favorite parts are the scenes with John Cleese.

'What's all this then?'

'I don't tolerate this. It's hard on the peace and the furniture.'

'Now, let's talk about you chaps.'

'As you may have guessed, I am not from these parts.'

'But the good citizens of Turley have taken me in their embrace...

and for one simple reason: I maintain the peace.

So, when strangers come to town, I always ask them their business.'

'In my town, if you're looking for someone, you ask me.'

'I want everyone to behave himself.'

and best of all:

'Today my jurisdiction ends here.'

But what do I know, I am a diehard Monty Python fan.

From the script.

guidance.

MAL

SCRUFFY

MAL

who knows how to use it?

SCRUFFY

Who would that be, YOU?

Without answering, Mal turns his horse to reveal his Father, brandishing his Henry.

SCRUFFY

Who would that be, YOU?

Without answering, Mal turns his horse to reveal his Father, brandishing his Henry.

I guess you're interpreting things different from me.

From the script.

guidance.

MAL

SCRUFFY

MAL

who knows how to use it?

And than the scene shows Mal's father(sitting on the back of Mel's horse) lever a round into his Henry rifle and point it at the Bad Guys.

So I believe Mel was speaking of his Father's Henry, not his 66!!

Nana Nana Boo Boo

BH :P

And than the scene shows Mal's father(sitting on the back of Mel's horse) lever a round into his Henry rifle and point it at the Bad Guys.

So I believe Mel was speaking of his Father's Henry, not his 66!!

Nana Nana Boo Boo

BH :P

Neener neener. :lol:

This is the type of OC stuff that I can appreciate. I think it very interesting that someone involved in the movie actually knew enough to use the sign with the Captain rank, yet obviously didn't follow through with their knowledge in other parts of the movie. Great movie, one of my favorites!

Speaking of OC, 1949 vs. 1849. :D

I don't believe McClellan would have been there. So the sign was merely a tribute to the Captain who was a good administrator but a poor field commander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_B._McClellan

.....My favorite parts are the scenes with John Cleese.

'What's all this then?'.....

Speaking of dragging in the cliches, this one gets dragged 5000 miles and from another genre, the British mystery novel. This is usually spoken by the rather dim rural village constable arriving on the scene of the crime, just before the visiting amateur detective, who may also be a Lord or Sir or something, takes over the case, and solves it through some esoteric bit of trivia from some subject which just happens to be a hobby of his.

Well said sir!!!! ;) I think you should change "winning" to "here's Bobby". :P

Like this? :lol:

Guest diablo slim shootist

One of the things that bug me about this movie is the leather!

the director turned down period correct holsters and asked for Buscaderos <_<

Archived