SASS Wire Forum

Just curious....Armed Forces Day

Assuming the Rapture doesn't pan out....anybody have a parade going on?

when I was a kid there was always a parade. :(

We always used to go watch the big airshow at Edwards AFB. Got to see the B-70 Valkyrie one year, SR-71 another time. :FlagAm:

Okay.... it's official: I'm jealous~! ^_^

We used to go to the open house at Andrews AFB when we lived in MD. Graduation day this year, so a parade of sorts. Miss the old parades with the firetrucks, police cars, folks driving their old convertibles etc.

We did our first public display at Joint Base Lewis/McChords Armed Forces Day event on Saturday, which went over very well. We were able to get several vehicles from that era for a background for our display. Five people showed in uniform, but only three had the gear and weapons. One guy had a modular tent from the 80s, which became our HQ for the day. Here are a few photos:

Our original tent and some of the vehicles

Myself and Ed with an Iraqi Type 59 tank

All of the armed members of the group

Well, I saw a Military parade of sorts. I drove down to Maple Valley to pick up a new to me rifle.

On the way over Tiger Mountain, I met a military convoy on their way over to Yakima Firing Range, I suppose.

Coming home I passed a "squad" (?) of wheeled vehicles parked at the summit of Tiger Mountain. They must have been the "rear guard".

These were wheeled vehicles that looked something like the old ducks of WW II and Korea fame. I thought only the Marines had them. Maybe they were marines, borrowing the Army facility.

The vehicles that I saw on Saturday were STRYKER IAVs. I had never seen them before. Looks like a pretty impressive ride. Ma duece was sure riding proud on top.

I was going to suggest that's probably what they were if it was an Army unit.

Stryker

I was going to suggest that's probably what they were if it was an Army unit.

Stryker

That would be them. They look to be a tad more versatile than the M59s I rode in.

Surviving the ride in an M59 was an accomplishment. I didn't have a lot of confidence

in the aluminum skin on the M59. I was told the engines on each side would protect

against small arms and shrapnel. Not what I wanted to hear.

Personally I'd prefer to stay away from armored vehicles.

The ride is nice but they tend to attract nasty things.

Personally I'd prefer to stay away from armored vehicles.

The ride is nice but they tend to attract nasty things.

Maybe that big bull's eye on the side has something to do with it.

I often wondered about the Japanese equipment with the big meat ball

painted on the side and if made it any easier for the US gunners in WW II?

Read a story once about how in WWII they stopped painting the stars on the Sherman tanks because they discovered the germans were using that as a bullseye.

Haven't spent any time in a STRYKER but I see them danged near every day. A lot easier to get from FT Lewis to Yakima than our M1s or M109s. Just drive them down the highway.

Read a story once about how in WWII they stopped painting the stars on the Sherman tanks because they discovered the germans were using that as a bullseye.

Haven't spent any time in a STRYKER but I see them danged near every day. A lot easier to get from FT Lewis to Yakima than our M1s or M109s. Just drive them down the highway.

It looked like that was the case. How do they ride? The old M57s were noisy.

I expect they're as noisy as possible. Keeps the troops awake. ;)

Haven't as of yet had the chance to ride in one. Last trip to the sand box we had the MRAP. Not a lot of fun to ride in but beats the heck out of being stuck in a 577.

Haven't as of yet had the chance to ride in one. Last trip to the sand box we had the MRAP. Not a lot of fun to ride in but beats the heck out of being stuck in a 577.

Also probably beats gettin blowed up in one.

I often wondered about the Japanese equipment with the big meat ball painted on the side and if made it any easier for the US gunners in WW II?
Most of them didn’t have the red circle, that’s a Hollywood thing. Many Japanese tanks didn’t have any markings one them, sometimes a vehicle number and that was often that. Same with German vehicles, they quit painting the black cross with white outlines so prominently early on as well. Many tanks still had markings, but usually subdued and smaller or placed where the armor was thickest. You usually ID vehicles by their outlines anyway, not the markings on them. Yet, allied vehicles often had the white star (with added circle around it to denote all allied vehicles, not just US, after the invasion of Europe) to the very end of the war.

Archived