SASS Wire Forum

First SASS shoot next month. What should I know?

Hopalong Strong

One suggestion I got was about ammo. 12 gauge featherlights. Is that the norm? Light loads for the shotgun... I have normal loads for trap but I can grab some light loads if they will work.

your trap loads will certainly work but lighter is better. the targets are usually 8-16 yrds and hitting them hard tends to = splashback

CC

Next month I will be headding to my first SASS shoot in Bristol, Wisconsin. I have a pair of pistols, holsters, rifle, shotgun, plenty of ammo and cowboy duds. What else should I know? What else should I bring? Any tips or etiquite I should be aware of? I've been aquiring gear since January. I am excited.

Leave your cell phone at home and have fun!

Hopalong

That's a curious name. Anyway, lots of good advice above--and you will get plenty during the shoot as well--particularly if you are receptive to suggestions. If you are like most of us, a strong adrenaline rush will hit you as you take the firing line. That's normal (if it ever stops for me, it will be time to quit CAS). Take a couple of deep breaths and do your best to relax. You cannot expect to shoot great times at your first match, so your goal should be PERFECT SAFETY and hitting most or all of the targets. Those are achievable and a bunch of metallic dings is terribly satisfying!

The only other tip I might add is this: if your shotgun has a safety and it has have not been disabled, remember you will need to slide it off to shoot. For that matter, same thing with a rifle safety.

After safety, the idea for most of us is to have FUN.

Cassalong Hopidy

Archived