SASS Wire Forum

what guns for my wife?

Oh, sorry, I thought you were asking what guns we would trade you for your wife. Never mind. :D

Buy a replacement stock for her longguns, then have a knowledgeable gunsmith fit each to her.

The fit is very important for both accuracy and reducing recoil. It is well worth visiting a good smith that is familiar with cowboy shooting to properly fit the guns to her.

Talk with your local pards for a good smith. Since we shoot a slightly different game than regular shotgun shooters, the fit may be slightly different compared to a trap gun. And many have the rifle just a little shorter than they normally would to help lever the action.

Tex,

Yes cut them, but like Grizz said cut the replacement on the original if possible.

Grizz you going to be at Pawnee Saturday?

Painted Filly

i often wonder why you bother cutting a replacement stock. they're her guns, cut them to fit her and IF you ever decide to sell, then worry about a replacement stock. :wacko:

look at a marlin or 73 carbine those are the lighter options and "gunfighter" grips are slimmer for her hands. remember that .45s are lighter guns but the recoil and cost may outweigh that benny.

my wife is 5'2" and a 100lbs she shoots a 73 carbine, GWIIs, and a stoeger 20" coach gun.

she's my favorite traveling partner.

good luck!

CC

Tex,

Yes cut them, but like Grizz said cut the replacement on the original if possible.

Grizz you going to be at Pawnee Saturday?

Painted Filly

Planning on it if they place doesn't wash away before that.

Take her and let HER, try different guns. Then let HER, pick which ones SHE wants.

Keeping in mind what category she will want to shoot in.

Then take them and get them fitted to HER. If she does not like the guns she is shooting. Or

they do not fit her properly. It can sure take the fun out of it for them.

Having my wife go with me to shoot. Is priceless.

Do what ever it takes to get what she wants and fits her. Give her every chance to do good

and like it.

Just a thought.

i often wonder why you bother cutting a replacement stock. they're her guns, cut them to fit her and IF you ever decide to sell, then worry about a replacement stock. :wacko:

look at a marlin or 73 carbine those are the lighter options and "gunfighter" grips are slimmer for her hands. remember that .45s are lighter guns but the recoil and cost may outweigh that benny.

my wife is 5'2" and a 100lbs she shoots a 73 carbine, GWIIs, and a stoeger 20" coach gun.

she's my favorite traveling partner.

good luck!

CC

+1. Reminds me of a fad in the 1950's -- covering your couch and chairs with plastic so they would be nice if you ever sold them. My mom bought the stuff, it was miserable. You couldn't wear shorts because you would stick to the plastic. Replacement stocks seldom, if ever, fit as well as the original. Make the gun nice for your wife and the heck with future users. Just do a first class job cutting the stock and replacing the butt plate and you will be able to sell it to some other lady or child when the time comes. If it looks professionally done, it will sell.

It is very important to love your guns. Make sure she is along for the decision-making process. Make sure the actions are smooth and the shotgun opens and closes easy. Saw a new lady breaking a crummy hand-me-down shotgun open over her knee and I wanted to wrap it around her husband's head. Fit of shotgun is important but knowing how to hold it is also important for not getting whacked by recoil. If it fits and you hold it right, it doesn't hurt. Having guns you love and that work right makes the day a LOT more fun and less stressful.

Right on Lou!!! I've lost count of the number of ladies brought to a match with a collection of hand-me-downs that didn't fit or work right. Especially shotguns. Unfortunately, most didn't come back.

Coffinmaker

A little off topic but make sure you have her shoot featherlites or featherlite clones. That shotgun recoil makes a big difference to us women. I am a large woman and hate regular shotgun loads but love those featherlites. I shoot store bought at matches and my own clones in practice.

+1 on letting her decide what guns she wants and having them fit her. Mine shoots .357 Ruger Vaqueros w/ Bob James action job, 1917 built '97 w/action job by C&I and AWA Lightning special edition slicked up by Russell. Loves the Gunfighter grips. Oh I almost forgot....... leather by Flatulent Fred. Her first belt bruised her hips, so she had a soft money belt made with her holsters. It hasn't been an issue since then. I would only consider giving her hand me downs if she coveted something I had already. She enjoys my 12 ga. reloads over the AA low noise, low recoil Featherlites. She's also newly enamored with a 105 gr .38 bullet for her Lightning and pistols over what I've tried over the years. Keep listening and you can accomodate her wishes (yep, clothes, too).

In other words, keep her happy cause it wouldn't be the same shooting without her. :wub:

Cut the stocks down to fit your wife. On the shotgun stock, cut it with a negative toe. Since we are shooting ground targets, the toe of the shotgun digs into your shoulder/chest; this situation is worse for women. A negative toe will make the shotgun much more comfortable to shoot. I cut our Stoeger down to fit my wife, and I have no problems using it also (I'm 6'1"). I actually think that it is quicker handling with the shorter stock.

We also share a '73 carbine which is the lightest '73. She handled a Marlin and it does seem to fit her better, so I'd say that a Marlin is a good choice for women.

For pistols, we started out sharing Ruger NMV's. She ended up falling in love with the SASS Vaqueros at a gun store, so that is what she is now using. The lower hammers are easier for her to reach.

Look closely at the 97 for her. Why I don't know but a lot of women favor them. don't make the mistake of buying a 20 ga thinking the lighter caliber will recoil less. Doesn't!!!

If you want her to shoot and enjoy the game, let her have a big say in her guns. When we started, we shared guns and they really did not fit either of us. The grips on the pistols were too big for her and too small for me. Our rifle was a 1892 clone that neither of us liked. See, I am 6'5" and 300+ pounds and my wife is 5'7" and slender. We found out quickly that each of us needed guns that fit us and reflected our tastes in guns. Her pistols are NM vaqueros with 5.5 inch barrels and mine are OM vaqueros with 4 5/8 inch barrels. I shoot a hammerless Stoeger SxS or an 97 pump with full length barrel and she uses either a hammered Baikal SxS ("Cuz its purty!") or a cut down 97. The only thing we agree on is the rifle which are Uberti 1873's. Our original pistols and rifle are now our back-up/loaner guns for friends that want to try the game. BTW, we shoot downloaded .357 loads and 12 guage winchester featherlites.

When we bought guns for each of us intead of using compromise guns that fit neither of us, we started to improve because we were not fighting our equipment and could concentrate on speed and accuraccy.

Look closely at the 97 for her. Why I don't know but a lot of women favor them.

Same around here. I think that my wife is the only female shooter using a double at the clubs that we shoot at. I keep trying to buy a '97 for her, but seeing the mechanical issues that folks have with them, she doesn't want one.

Take her and let HER, try different guns. Then let HER, pick which ones SHE wants.

Keeping in mind what category she will want to shoot in.

Then take them and get them fitted to HER. If she does not like the guns she is shooting. Or

they do not fit her properly. It can sure take the fun out of it for them.

Having my wife go with me to shoot. Is priceless.

Do what ever it takes to get what she wants and fits her. Give her every chance to do good

and like it.

Just a thought.

This farrier (AA) has apparently never been kicked in the head...'cause he's showing a lot of intelligence with his remarks.

As everybody has said they should be fitted to her. Same for the handguns.

Whatever you do, buy her good guns. I have seen too many women stuck with hand me down junk that should have been retired but wasn't because Pa wanted to save a few bucks. A wife who shoots with her husband is golden, you want to make sure she has a great experience. Her guns shouldn't jam or malfunction.

If I am ever able to talk my wife into shooting with me, she is going to get my go fast 38s and I will go back to my 45s until I can buy her own good guns. It is just that important.

As everybody has said they should be fitted to her. Same for the handguns.

Whatever you do, buy her good guns. I have seen too many women stuck with hand me down junk that should have been retired but wasn't because Pa wanted to save a few bucks. A wife who shoots with her husband is golden, you want to make sure she has a great experience. Her guns shouldn't jam or malfunction.

If I am ever able to talk my wife into shooting with me, she is going to get my go fast 38s and I will go back to my 45s until I can buy her own good guns. It is just that important.

Be still my heart! :wub:

Hubby cut the stock on our smoothest '97. My '87 is also our best. That was an accident as it happened to be just my size when purchased. My pistols are rather sweet too. His best friend gave his wife and daughter the junk guns. Hubby saw their frustration...

I keep hearing about problems with '97s. I've been using the same one for 12 years. The only problem has been me when trying to load two for a bird. I probably should p-p-practice that.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Having taught several past girlfriends and my current wife of 25 years to shoot, AND getting my wife into both hunting and SASS, here's a few words of advice:

1) It is HER decision as to caliber, guns, holsters, etc. Make "suggestions" and hints.

2) We started out with a Uberti and a Jaeger in 38 spl (357). After a couple of years, I gave her a set of NM Vaqueros in 38. Bright stainless and

had Executioner match a couple sets of stag grips for her. Got a Kirkpatrick holster set designed for women.

3) Rifle: SHE chose a Marlin CB in 38 spl. Adjusted a replacement stock and put a leather but cover on it for her. Took a piece of dowl and made a "pusher"

for the loading gate (saves her fingernails) Decorated it and capped it with a spent 38 case. A couple of tourquoise beads.

4) She tried a '97 but kept breaking her nails (she's an escrow officer and deals with a lot of high-power people=fingernails are important). She liked the Stoegers but

really liked my Rossi, so we cut it to fit her, based on her Browning for hunting. I picked up an old Ithaca to replace it.

5. Women's chests are different from men's in several ways. Don't forget adjustments like canting the stock slightly, etc.

6. If you reload, develop her own loads for her.

MOST IMPORTANT: Advise her! Always remember it is her decision. If she goofs up, well.....you just added another gun to the stable. You might through a couple of things

before she finds what she really likes. My wife and I are both college-educated with at least some graduate school, we TALK about things and discuss options==That's is just

our way of doing things! Stay true to what works for the two of you. She may want to read about things to help her decide. She may want another woman's opinion. Only

you two know what works for you two. Let her try things at shoots and talk to women there.

At her first shoot, be in the posse, but select someone to coach her and work with her.....she doesn't want you yelling at her or constantly correcting or badgering. I've seen a lot of husbands and boyfriends that are demeaning and down right obnoxious to their mates when they are shooting......if you want them to continue to shoot with you.....let them have fun first and then, if you do it correctly and constructively, you can work on some of the finer details.

KK

Get your lovely bride whatever she wants.... ya know the old saying, "When Momma's happy..."

Take her to a few matches and I'm sure there are pards that will let her try their irons - even better if there are lady shooters. I think some of the best advice I've gotten was from other ladies and I have made some of my best friends also. One or the greatest things about this sport is the people and although it is "competitive," we share everything. Not many other sports where if ya break yours, your competitors are practically throwing equipment at you so you can continue on.

And don't forget the clothes... lots and lots of clothes!!! Clean a closet out now - it'll fill up fast!

I hope she finds the guns she likes and that you two have as much fun as my hubby and I have!!

P.S. You may end up looking at travel trailors too.... campfires and pards are hard to beat!

Good luck and hope ta see y'all down the trail - together.

Trina

A little off topic but make sure you have her shoot featherlites or featherlite clones. That shotgun recoil makes a big difference to us women. I am a large woman and hate regular shotgun loads but love those featherlites. I shoot store bought at matches and my own clones in practice.

+1

Tex,

Gunstock Smith and I live not too far away from you.... I'll PM you some info, but as his name states...he's THE MAN out here in Texas to do what you're looking for! We can bring out my shotguns, rifles, and pistols and let your wife try them out if she's game.

Miss Cubbie

:FlagAm:

PS If you select a mentor for her. Make sure he/she isn't the type to keep giving speed tips. Her first match, she needs to be comfortable and safe. I've seen and heard about individuals who overload new shooters with so many "helpful hints" that it seems they are more involved in showing their knowledge :rolleyes: than helping a new shooter. Keep the tips to a minimum the first few matches.

PS If you select a mentor for her. Make sure he/she isn't the type to keep giving speed tips. Her first match, she needs to be comfortable and safe. I've seen and heard about individuals who overload new shooters with so many "helpful hints" that it seems they are more involved in showing their knowledge :rolleyes: than helping a new shooter. Keep the tips to a minimum the first few matches.

I totally agree with Allie on this!

Don't let anyone overwhelm her or she may never come back.

+1

So many smart cowboys and cowgirls here!

I can't over stress how important it is to be comfortable with your weapons.

Looking back at what we started out with compared to what we shoot now, it's a wonder that we stuck with it.

Not every woman prefers a 97. I will only shoot a SxS... and getting one to fit is very important.

I tried many different pistols before picking up a new Ruger Vaquero. "That's it! that's the gun I want"

They just fit my hands better than anything else I tried.

Shot a Marlin for 6 years before getting my 73. I haven't touched the Marlin lately.

As for having a woman who will shoot with her husband....

my husband tells me how thankful he is that I shoot everytime we shoot.

I know I enjoy it at least as much as he does. :->

You just might want to check out the NEW Taylor & CO ladies and youth model 1873. It has a 16" barrel and only weighs around 6 pounds.

It holds 10 38special rounds.

Ladies/Youth model

Might save you a lot of cutting!

Archived