SASS Wire Forum

Nevada sweep with Texas Star

Go West

Wiley Yankee had a three target Nevada sweep using a Texas Star as the middle target at the Tombstone Livery. It freaked alot of us out just thinking about it, but it was a hoot to shoot and I aint just tootin! Sometimes ya need to do stuff a bit different to add more interest. Atta boy Wiley!

Wiley Yankee had a three target Nevada sweep using a Texas Star as the middle target at the Tombstone Livery. It freaked alot of us out just thinking about it, but it was a hoot to shoot and I aint just tootin! Sometimes ya need to do stuff a bit different to add more interest. Atta boy Wiley!

Does sound like fun. Shot a texas star last weekend, surprised myself and cleaned it with only 1 extra rifle shot.

Here's a tip though, make the rest of the stage FAST, limited movement and or dump plates. The setup on the star is gonna eat a bunch of time every shooter.

If a plate fell off not due to a hit when you got towards the end of the sequence just put a round downrange about where the plate would have been. It's a gimmee

For a star on the rifle it's usual "rifle loaded with ten rounds, use as many as necessary to clean the star and put remaining rounds on dump target. Only plates left on the star and misses on the dump target are counted as misses"

We've been doing that for a few years now especially at our Nationals.

But we shoot it a side match prefably as it takes time to reload the Star each time.

We call it the "Texas Star Challenge".

I try an make it a "challenge" rather than a "speed" event.

For a Nevada sweep, if ya wanna be mean, then start with 9 rounds and begin on the Star in the middle of 2 static targets; that means you'll finish on the Star too. Any plates left are misses, as well as any on the statics.

We also play Snooker with our Star. There are a number of ways you can design a match, painting the targets in the snooker colors and awarding them the same points as snooker for misses etc.

I have all these set up in "publisher" if anyone wants me to email them to them.

Texas Star is always fun to shoot. EXCEPT! At one Annual match were there were walls built around it, and only the bottom plate was visible, and it swung crazy after that, and really swung when only 1 plate was left. There were shooters, (they actually had a small table were shooter could place extra shells). It wasn't fun for many shooters after some actually went through what they had on their belts, and what they had placed on the table. There were periods of the stage were the plate holders became loose, and one shot would drop more then 1 plate with a hit, these were the fortunate shooters, but after a period, the plate holder springs would be tightened, starting the expansion of shotgun shells.

There were a lot, lot, of unhappy shooters on this stage. MT

Texas Star is always fun to shoot. EXCEPT! At one Annual match were there were walls built around it, and only the bottom plate was visible, and it swung crazy after that, and really swung when only 1 plate was left. There were shooters, (they actually had a small table were shooter could place extra shells). It wasn't fun for many shooters after some actually went through what they had on their belts, and what they had placed on the table. There were periods of the stage were the plate holders became loose, and one shot would drop more then 1 plate with a hit, these were the fortunate shooters, but after a period, the plate holder springs would be tightened, starting the expansion of shotgun shells.

There were a lot, lot, of unhappy shooters on this stage. MT

Sounds like sour grapes Marshall. I shot that star clean with 5 rounds. LOL WW

Generally I like the star. I write it into matches several times a year, sometimes with shootgun some times with rifle. I have noticed that different stars at different places spin at different rates. The one we had has good barrings and as soon as one of the plates is off it gets to moving. Others I've shot are stiffer and can be shot more easily. Shot one where the last plate swung up to the 12 o'clock possition and just hung there for a few seconds...just like a stationary target. WW

Sounds like sour grapes Marshall. I shot that star clean with 5 rounds. LOL WW

Generally I like the star. I write it into matches several times a year, sometimes with shootgun some times with rifle. I have noticed that different stars at different places spin at different rates. The one we had has good barrings and as soon as one of the plates is off it gets to moving. Others I've shot are stiffer and can be shot more easily. Shot one where the last plate swung up to the 12 o'clock possition and just hung there for a few seconds...just like a stationary target. WW

Willy, it was the worst stage, besides stage 1 designed. Stage one was eliminated after 2 shooters because it took 45 minutes for 2 people to get through and reset all the targets. The Texas Star idea was bad, especilly watching one lady go through her belt and 22 shells off the table. I also listened to many shooters that travelled from afar that didn't like it. I didn't like it. If anyone cares, they can look up stage 4 on that match and decide for themselves, it took you 135 seconds to clear it. There were 72 shooters that shot the match, the average time was 90.56. Tells me something. Also, when 6 stages are scheduled, and 1 eliminated, leaving 5 stages and starting time is 0900, the last posse to leave for the day was past 1800. Made for a long day, what with all the resetting and adjustments on this stage. I won't go further on this Willy, you and me have an issue problem that you like to display, as in the past on this wire. MT

In the last seven years I have seen a number of diabolical setups using the TX*. It is usually done with the stated intention of "slowing down the gamers". And just as predictably, it has little effect on the very fast but causes considerable pain for the average shooter.

For cowboy I think it is best used as a shotgun target. Configured with four or fewer plates and without drop weights, it presents a shootable challenge for all skill levels. If used as a rifle or pistol target , then allow clean up with the shotgun.

There is simply no need to inflict punishment on folks that just want to have fun.

Olen

Thanks Go, you know me, I have to be different. Some people fear the different things but differnet isn't always bad.

I do have to admit I swiped the idea from the team shoot at 5 Dogs Creek.

Wily

I shot it clean, though a few left one and a couple got a p. We used a rifle on it so as long as you could rmember which way you were going, it really wasn't a P trap. My wife had the idea to shoot a bottom plate for some reason and really got it swinging. It was a monthly match and after 10 years of cas, it helps to mix things up a bit. It's getting pricey to travel, so I appreciate having the clubs I attend do things with some variety.

I like the star, I have always thought it would be fun to have two and alternate shots between the 2 stars, or alternate from the star to the dump target. This would be done with the rifle. With pistols I would stay with shooting the star first. Then go to the dump taget after the star is clean. I don't like shooting it with shotgun.

We tried the Nevada sweep with the star and got a lot of P's at the match. It is hard for many of the folks to keep the concentration needed with the star and a sweep.

Two stars can be fun, but takes a long time for set up. If you have a small match, it is possible, otherwise it is much more fun as a side match.

Side matches are wonderful things. You can get away with murder! :D

You know, Go, only 1/3 of the shooters had no misses on that stage.

In other words, it might be 2 to 1 against you in polling satisfaction.

However, it was fun to shoot and took a little bit of extra concentration. It was surprising how many shooters lost their place in the sweep by taking time to knock the points off the star.

A fun stage that you definitely don't want to encounter at a State level, or higher, match.

I have shot it a couple of times that way. My first time was at a Regional, I had to pleasure of watching Lassiter blasting away at it on our posse...amazing doesnt even describe it.

I liked it so much, that I have written it into our monthly matches a couple of times. I will not write it into one of our annual matches because I know not everyone enjoys the Star. We have 2 at our club and about the only time they get any use is at our annual match, during the team shoot. Its all for fun in that, so why not have a blast?

Archived