SASS Wire Forum

How Long Did It Take?

Judge Arson Griggs

Many months ago I saw a segment on a show that talked about the sport that is, Cowboy Action Shooting... the seed was planted. Six or eight weeks ago I decided that I was interested. A month or so ago I visited my first match, met some really nice folks, even shot some of their guns. LOVED IT! That night I became Judge Arson Griggs #92008.

I currently have an original Winchester '73 in 32 20 and a SxS that "legal". Short "the outfit", leather and pistols.

The Question: How long was it from the first match you visited till you were able to shoot your first match?

Many months ago I saw a segment on a show that talked about the sport that is, Cowboy Action Shooting... the seed was planted. Six or eight weeks ago I decided that I was interested. A month or so ago I visited my first match, met some really nice folks, even shot some of their guns. LOVED IT! That night I became Judge Arson Griggs #92008.

I currently have an original Winchester '73 in 32 20 and a SxS that "legal". Short "the outfit", leather and pistols.

The Question: How long was it from the first match you visited till you were able to shoot your first match?

In about 1998 I read an article in a gun mag written by Mike Venturino about CAS. I filed that in the back of my mind. One Hot Summer day in 2003 I was out at an informal woods range where I had shot BY MYSELF for years, just plinking with Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and realized it was the first time in a year I had been out shooting. I needed something to get that fire going again.

I remembered the magazine article, looked up a local club, WATCHED their July shoot, and by August I was all geared up with the rest of the guns, leather, gun cart, and basic clothes and a brand new SASS membership.

I finished dead last overall but "won" the Modern category. I won it again in September as the only shooter in the category, went and bought a second Vaquero so I could shoot "Traditional", and never WON my category again.....

I was President of our local Rifle Pistol Club and decided to attend every event at least once that I had not already attended. Our club is SASS affiliated and has an active bunch of cowboy shooters. I went to a monthly shoot and they let me borrow guns and I shot a couple of stages....the rest is history :lol:

First match I visited I shot a couple stages with borrowed guns. First full match was about a month later with .22s since it was a special match that had an adult 22 category (and at the time I had appropriate 22 pistols and rifle, had to borrow a shotgun), by the next regular monthly I had pistols and shotgun and borrowed a rifle until I got one a month or so later.

"discovered" CAS through a co-worker on a Thursday. Visiting the last match of the year that Sunday. (mid November) I would have shot the next week, but I had to wait until April for the first shoot of the next year.

In March of 2010 I visited a local club and they gave me the opportunity to shoot SAA's and were very patient in answering this tin horns questions. I then looked into another club, got in touch with an individual that ran a class and oriented new shooters to safety and other funtamentals of this game. My club, RR Bar Regulators required a safety shoot before they would let you shoot with them, I barrowed guns, this was May 2010.

I joined SASS in May 2010.

I started ordering my guns. It took about 7 months. I had action jobs done on my Colt Clones and 73 rifle. I ordered USFA Rodeos from Long Hunter and that took about 90 days. Finally got the guns then it took six weeks because of the guns laws of CA. (one gun a month). I got my sxs shot gun in Dec. 2010.

So I finally got to shoot with my own guns in Feb 2011. a long process but I got the guns that I wanted.

Ned.

It was zero days, zero minutes. I went ready.

I had three of the four guns before I attended my first match, but in different calibers. So afterward I swapped calibers around and got conversion cylinders for my BP revolvers and picked up a shotgun, leather and clothes and that took about 5 months before I actually was able to shoot on my own. Smithy.

I shot my first match the first time I showed up to check things out. I introduced myself to the range master and the next thing I knew he hooked me up with Asa Smith and I had guns in hand at the loading table. (Glad I decided to dress out!) I have shot one match sense thanks to the generosity of Asa. I have guns (slicked up) and leather on order and am waiting impatiently for them all to arrive. (Have the 73 and SxS in and hope the leathers and pistols arrive in a couple of weeks). Then all I need to have is some weekends open up on the family schedule.

Irish Rambler

Shot and won the first CAS match I ever attended. That being said, I had been shooting single action revolvers, lever action rifles and double guns for years before and had had some instruction from a world championship CAS shooter. Also, the match was the very first by a new club of new CAS shooters.

Sure has been a lot of fun!!!!!

A bit over three years...

... I was in the middle of a divorce straight from hell, and my attorney said the only sure way to get out from under her accusations was to admit guilt, accept deferred sentencing and spend three years on probation. I found out "innocent until proven guilty" is the biggest farce on the planet, it's impossible to prove a negative, and police/judges/courts believe the woman every... single... time. I ended up about $240,000 lighter in the poke, but what the hell.

Read about it in Shoot magazine. Signed up 48 hours later. (I was out of town). Went to a match 2 weeks alter. Took me a couple of months to get the guns and gear.

Same day. Showed up with my new to me vaqueros and a Marlin, and got a loaner SxS by one of the other shooters. This was last month. Shot Saturday and Sunday, with a clean match on Sunday. I am working on accuracy before speed, but still managed to shoot a respectable (in my opinion) time.

Took about a year and a half after visiting my first match.

I was getting all ready to start and ended up getting deployed to Iraq. So I sat in the desert getting all my gear together via mail order and when I got home I was ready to go.

like justin wilson and his college football career, the first match i ever saw i shot in.

I visited my first match in 2005.

I really wanted to get involved then, but found one reason or another to not to.

Then I went back to school to get my Masters. When I started, I said that, when I finished, I was buying myself a pair of revolvers as a present to myself.

I graduated in June 2009. Paid off the last of my school debt a short time later and ordered my pistols around March of 2010. My wife bought me my rifle at the same time as a present for out 10th Anniversary.

Went to a work day with the Wartrace Regulators in May 2010 to meet some cowboys and toured the club. They even had some guns there and walked me through a stage or two. Went to my first match two weeks later with a borrowed shotgun and some borrowed leather.

Within a couple of weeks, I had a shotgun. Leather came around Christmas.

Now, my only regret is that I didn't start back in 2005...

The first time I saw it...I was doing it. Two Ponies and Two Ponies Gal came and spoke to my Lions Club about CAS. When they finished, I followed them to their car and they treated me like a lost puppy. I actually bought a 97 at a gun show the day before my first match. I rode to my first match...or two...or three and used their guns (and 44-40 ammo) and leather until I could find pistols and a rifle. I am indebted to them deeply and only hold one grudge, but it is a very serious grudge. Who in the world would loan a new shooter this hat? The picture does not do this hat justice. :D I think I bought a hat off of eBay the next day. :) Check out the hiking boots and pullover. :D

Great alias !

Thanks pard. Its a fun un'

I am indebted to them deeply and only hold one grudge, but it is a very serious grudge.

Now don't be Holden a grudge, I already am :lol:

Love that picture though, I remember early on when I first started and posted somthing in regards to not wanting to look dumb at my first match, you posted that picture. Made me feel right at home........

Not that you look dumb in that photo or anything....jus sayin ;)

I just surfed up the first picture of me at a match, I think it was maybe my third match. I had my pistols in modern leather holsters ( I think one may have even been holstered backwards as I only had left handed strong side holters), jeans, T-shirt, and tennis shoes. No, I am not going to post a link :D

I did it the stupid way and waited until I had all gear and guns before I attended a match. Took me over 6 months.

I no longer shoot any of the guns nor do I wear any of the gear I worked so hard to put together.

Decided I wanted to try in the early winter. Wanted to go to my first match in January to check it out. Rained out. Went to gun show early Feb. Bought Ruger pistols, Baikal SxS and a Henry Big boy. Shot the late February match and been shooting ever since. The only mistake I made was buying an Henry Big Boy. Legal but slow and prone to jams. Traded it for a Winchester.

Buffalo Slim

I read an article about it "Shooting Times" in either late 1990 or early 1991. Said to myself, self you need to try that game. I had everything I need to start when I read the article, been shooting single actions and lever guns since mid 1970's.

I did not have a computer or INTERNET access but kept asking around, one day August or September of 1991 at local gun shop one of the clerk point out a guy and said " if you want to know about cowboy shooting talk to that guy, he does it", so I did. He explained it to me as best he could there in the store and told me there's a match next weekend, gave me the phone number of another cowboy shooter (he had to work a would not make the match) who was going. I called him, we meet up and drove the 425 miles to the range.

I signed up for the shoot, meet a bunch of great guys. Shoot the match, I don't think I came in dead last, but was real close. I was shooting a pair of Colt 44-40s, A Uberti Henry in 44-40 and a Rossi hammered double barrel 12 gauge,loved it from the first day and still do. And I will be using those same guns this weekend in match.

I had been shooting USPSA for about 18 years with a good friend. He had become involved with SASS and invited me and my wife out to watch. My wife is not a "gun" person, but occasionally shoots a .22. I knew that there was no way that she would go for buying 4 new guns and all the rest of the equipment. My friend, Cheyenne Ranger,introduced me to the group as a fellow shooter. Within 5 minutes, I was fully equipped and shooting the match. Unknown to me, my wife was learning about dress balls and costuming. I had a blast. As we pulled out of the parking area, my wife said, "There is a gun show tommorow. Let's go buy some guns for this." By the next shoot I was fully armed and dressed and a SASS member.

It took me about 3 years.Saw an ad in shotgun news about "cowboy" guns for sale and looked up what it was all about.Sounded like a hoot to try out,so I started ordering my guns and ammo (didn't reload at that time).I have an FFL so that helped on the cost.Was living in Minnesota at the time and was working odd shifts and days,so never had the chance to go to a shoot til I moved back home to Montana.Went to my 1st shoot in the summer of 2001 and decided this is as much fun as it sounded.Joined the club that day and a few years ago I joined SASS so I could start traveling and shooting other clubs.

Archived